A/C blows ice cold then just cool then ice cold again?

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Not sure if this is in the right place but if not I apologize! I've got a 07 LbZ and the A/C will blow ice cold for a minute, then just cool for a few seconds then back to ice cold. My clutch kicks on and off at idle when on low blower settings but seems to cycle on and off less frequently when on the higher blower settings. I bought some stuff called kool-it from lubeguard and used it to clean my Evap coil but the problem still seems to exist? Thanks!

six5creed

Jan 6, 2016
N.C.
It may be low on freon or your compressor is going out. Sounds like low on freon though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
need to know the pressure readings of the a/c system. both high and low side with good gauges (not harbor frieght or those single gauge deals you get on a can of r134a at an auto store)

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Maybe I'm just being picky, I put a digital instant thermometer in my center vent. When I'm driving temps fluctuated between 40*F and 44*F after idling for about 15 minutes temp at then vent was between 48*F and 52*F idling was done in direct sunlight. It's about 92 out here in Texas today! These temps seem normal?

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
When I was cruising it was ice cold. I was happy with the temps while cruising and okay with the temps while idling. Just was wondering if the temps were relatively normal? Is it normal for A/C temp to fluctuate a few degrees?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm not entirely sure, when the fan kicks on it will get warmer?

no it will get cooler at idle.

to accurately check temp, turn the a/c on max (recirc on and a/c on), blower motor at max speed, run engine rpm to 2k and then check vent temps after a minute or so when the engine cooling fan has kicked on.

yes it is normal for temps to fluctuate but generally not to the point you can feel the difference unless you are on a high blower motor speed and the vehicle is at idle with the engine cooling fan off.

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
no it will get cooler at idle.

to accurately check temp, turn the a/c on max (recirc on and a/c on), blower motor at max speed, run engine rpm to 2k and then check vent temps after a minute or so when the engine cooling fan has kicked on.

yes it is normal for temps to fluctuate but generally not to the point you can feel the difference unless you are on a high blower motor speed and the vehicle is at idle with the engine cooling fan off.

My fan hardly ever kicks on. My engine temps RARELY gets over 185*

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
That seems a little warmer then my lbz runs here in TX. If you haven't added and freon since 07 you are probably due for some. My truck was a little warm 2 years. The tech added some freon since it was low and it's been fine since.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
That seems a little warmer then my lbz runs here in TX. If you haven't added and freon since 07 you are probably due for some. My truck was a little warm 2 years. The tech added some freon since it was low and it's been fine since.

too much r134a can cause the same issues. its not a good idea to "throw some in" unless you look at the pressures that are being ran and even still, checking them now wont do much good if he cant get the cooling fan to engage. i have seen untouched systems hold a proper charger after 15 years. if its leaking out, the leak should be fixed. its not like a trans service where it should be checked and topped off :D

not having the engine cooling fan affects how well the a/c performance is. the condensor must have air coming across it to get the r134a to drop in temp enough to turn to a liquid. sitting there idling without the fan on and a/c going heat soaks the condenser and the r134a can not relieve enough heat from its self. pressures increase and the compressor starts cycling. 40-44* temps in 92* OAT is a really good temp when cruising. the temp coming back up tells me its a cooling fan issue. that should be address even before gauges go on as it will affect the pressures seen. the fan must be running to get accurate readings. otherwise you just chase your tail.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've never been in an LBZ or LMM that had a fully engaged fan at idle unless it just stopped after pulling a heavy load up a hill or doing some other sort of hard work or there was a cooling system problem. I don't recall my coolant temps going over 185 either unless I'm pulling a fairly heavy trailer.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I've never been in an LBZ or LMM that had a fully engaged fan at idle unless it just stopped after pulling a heavy load up a hill or doing some other sort of hard work or there was a cooling system problem. I don't recall my coolant temps going over 185 either unless I'm pulling a fairly heavy trailer.

i have no issue doing it. turn a/c on, run idle up to 2k, sit there for a few minutes and temp gets hot enough to kick the fan on. this is 95+ degree heat too though. everyone brings me their broken shit when its the hottest out side.... go figure

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
Okay, it's only 88 today and cloudy but I parked my truck and put my high idle on which takes it up to about 1750rpms. Let it sit for about 15 minutes. The highest ECT i could get the truck to do was 203* not sure if thats enough to kick the fan on or not. Vent temp got to 52* and stayed around there. I haven't been able to get ahold of any gauges yet but still trying to locate some!

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
When I accelerated after being stopped whole testing Ac I could hear fan running. Also heard a wears whining noise coming from driver firewall area that I have never heard before. Sound increased with rpm and went away when fan turned off?