97 silverado problems

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
Been fighting issues with my brothers 1997 silverado. Has a 383 stroker and just had the 4l60e rebuilt. We are fighting a p0340 code and now a code for front knock sensor. Knock sensor at starter was replaced along with the distributor a few months ago. Went to set timing with a snap on solus but cam retard dont budge off 45 degrees. Turned distributor both ways but it shows no movement at all. Was running fine, but now truck runs warm and like crap. We are not sure whats going on with the timing issue, any ideas?

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
For starters that engine should only use 1 knock sensor, the one by the starter. The v6's and 7.4's used 2, but l30's and l31's should only have 1 in the cooling jacket, block drain plug, passenger side, in front of the starter. As to the p0340, have you pulled the distributor out yet? The gears on them are famous for wearing and causing timing issuyes as it causes an erratic cam sensor signal. Also depending on what cam went in it, the stock gear may not work with your cam. Pull the distributor and inspect the shaft for wear in the plastic housing(if you run a hv oil pump, it will trash the distributor housing as the plastic wont hold up over time), check the gear for wear, also look in at the cam gear and see what it looks like, and if all is good put it back in at tdc #1 and line up the 8 on the housing with the rotor tip, and you should be pretty dam close.

LbzDMax07

Dec 16, 2013
PA
For starters that engine should only use 1 knock sensor, the one by the starter. The v6's and 7.4's used 2, but l30's and l31's should only have 1 in the cooling jacket, block drain plug, passenger side, in front of the starter. As to the p0340, have you pulled the distributor out yet? The gears on them are famous for wearing and causing timing issuyes as it causes an erratic cam sensor signal. Also depending on what cam went in it, the stock gear may not work with your cam. Pull the distributor and inspect the shaft for wear in the plastic housing(if you run a hv oil pump, it will trash the distributor housing as the plastic wont hold up over time), check the gear for wear, also look in at the cam gear and see what it looks like, and if all is good put it back in at tdc #1 and line up the 8 on the housing with the rotor tip, and you should be pretty dam close.

It's a Howard's cam. New distributor, but stock gear and if I remember correctly the 0340 code has been a issue since motor was done. The snap on was saying something about a front knock sensor which we didn't understand. Looks like the distributor gear could be the culprit

BigDMax05

Peanut butter and ladies!
Feb 2, 2009
Indiana
Update this when you figure it out I'd like to know what you find/found. My 99 burb idles with a little miss when warm. Get it off idle and it runs perfect. I suspect a cracked head and or cracked split intake valve. Not 100% sure though. I do get a little condensation in the crankcase so I'm thinking its a cracked head.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Update this when you figure it out I'd like to know what you find/found. My 99 burb idles with a little miss when warm. Get it off idle and it runs perfect. I suspect a cracked head and or cracked split intake valve. Not 100% sure though. I do get a little condensation in the crankcase so I'm thinking its a cracked head.
Most idle issues I have come across have been the injectors. Condensation and using coolant is normally intake gaskets as these engines used the plastic intake gaskets that are INFAMOUS for cracking and leaking. I only use the victor reinz replacements because they have steel inserts to keep the plastic from getting over compressed and breaking.