97 5.7 chevy

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
So got a buddy at work looking to fix up his 97. It's got a 5.7 in it, not sure on the trans those came with but you get the idea. Thing goes through about 10 gallons of oil a month and the font end is shot. Told him no problem to help rebuild the front end but I've not touched a 5.7 engine aside from plugs. Soooo is it more cost affective to rebuild or find a used one and slap in there. Also can you fix a CV axle? His boots are torn and slinging grease everywhere. Figured I'd ask the super knowledgeable crowd

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
My opinion.. Find a 5.7 and put in it.. Cv axles can be rebuilt, however the boot kits are probably $50 and a new axle is $75 so why spend the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
My opinion.. Find a 5.7 and put in it.. Cv axles can be rebuilt, however the boot kits are probably $50 and a new axle is $75 so why spend the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I did my half shafts, boots were $25 a piece, and a reman shaft was $40 or a new one for $60. As to the OP, the 5.7L is normally pretty good. I would look it over and see if it is leaking oil out, or if it is burning it. If it is burning it, then chances are the guides are gone in the heads, or rings are shot. In all honesty, if it needs engine work, your cheaper to find a good used engine to go back in it. To rebuild one right is going to cost you probably $500 or so just in parts, then add in machine shop work to have it bored, and if it needs a crank kit that's another $250 or so. Used engines can normally be found for $500-600 since everybody wants LS's now. The other thing to watch for is cracked heads. The 5.7L VORTEC heads are KNOWN to crack around the head bolts. It isn't super common, but does happen.

wrcknkrw

Feb 21, 2008
roy ut
The LS based motors are more reliable and get better gas mileage. Very common anymore to find those swapped in place of the older vortec motors. The 5.3l is not a downgrade in any aspect compared to the 5.7l vortec.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
I'm sure it burns oil but my god does it run out of everywhere. The block is just covered in oil...he can't decide if he wants to keep or get something else.but I've been entrusted to fix if he keeps....yay me NOT!!!

Ridin'GMC

I like red
May 20, 2010
MA
Swapping out a 5.7 is easy as cake in those truck. Those 5.7 are all over the place now and fairly cheap to get. Saw a few for 300 bucks not too long ago when I was getting the idea of putting one in my ZR2 blazer.

The most common leak I see on those engine are the main seals and valve covers. Sometimes the intake gasket if there is coolant in the oil.

HFLBZ

Jul 22, 2013
central texas
If u go back with the 5.7 put some fresh new style injectors, ac Delco fuel pump, and ac Delco distributor cap should be good to go for a long time.