9.25" ifs diff swap on a 1993 silverado 1500 ecsb

Powellbr

Nov 17, 2015
Hi all, I have a few questions about swapping a 9.25" ifs diff into my truck, it's a 1993 chevy silverado 1500 ecsb with the 5.7l, and the first is from what I've read you have to relocate the upper mount on the drivers side to clear the center link. However, if you move the steering assembly forward enough to where it would clear, I think it's only like an inch to get enough clearance, and wouldn't it also give a better steering response/feel?

My second question is would control arms for an 07-13 Silverado 2500 fit on it? I plan on installing a rough country 4 inch lift kit on my truck and I'm a fan of baja inspired trucks so I'm going to be installing long travel suspension parts and from what I've read the lca will bolt right in but the upper arm could be a problem from my knowledge so would it fit? I'll be using a 4wd kit from Baja Kits also if it helps my explanation.

My final question isn't about the suspension parts per se but more about the brakes. I'm looking to use the Wilwood calipers for the same year range truck on probably EBC rotors & pads or maybe Wilwood rotors & pads with an upgraded Wilwood master cylinder on a hydroboost brake booster that may or may not use a dedicated power steering pump, will have to look at space in the engine bay, how hard it would be to use one pump for both the steering box and the booster and if I have a location to mount it.

Anyway, thanks for the information if anyone has any knowledge on my question.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
dont install a lift kit and long travel kit if you plan to actually use the LT kit to its full extent.

as for steering, you will need to move idler/pitman arm and steering box forward as well. shortening the arms will reduce the amount the tires will turn left or right.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Don't know what mods need to be done if you use a correct era 9.25 ifs to swap in. GM offerred the 8.25 and 9.25 in the same trucks. You could get the 2500 in 6 or 8 lug. As to control arms, pretty sure the 01-06 lowers will bolt in, but the uppers is another story.

Powellbr

Nov 17, 2015
Don't know what mods need to be done if you use a correct era 9.25 ifs to swap in. GM offerred the 8.25 and 9.25 in the same trucks. You could get the 2500 in 6 or 8 lug. As to control arms, pretty sure the 01-06 lowers will bolt in, but the uppers is another story.

what has to be done to get the uppers to bolt in? Doesn't seem to need to much but that's just me. Honestly, the whole reason I'm using that kit is so I can eliminate the torsion bars because I don't like them for whatever reason, don't know why other than they seem like antiquated tech. I see right now though I may have some problems with the shock mounts flexing under extreme load but if that happens, I'll fab a sort of tower brace that welded to the towers but unbolts elsewhere if for some reason I would need to pull the motor out or do some work to the intake or remove it or the valve covers or whatever.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
As far as I know from what others have tried, the mounts are completely different for the uppers on the newer trucks. Also be careful as the gmt-400 frames are known to crack on 4x4 if you put much stress on them. Several trucks that are used for plowing put timbrens in the front, and weight loading caused the frames to break clean in half.

Powellbr

Nov 17, 2015
So I was looking and it turns out that the coilover kit isn't a long travel, it's a mid travel kit. Does it make difference on the handling and performance of the truck? If it does, please let me know.