8 x 170 Axle Shaft

paulllyw

Sep 23, 2019
Maryland
Anyone know of anyone making axle shafts with 8 x 170 bolt patterns for the 11.5 inch? I'm using one of my spare rears that will be paired with one of my f250 axle patterns and would like to swap the axle shafts for ford pattern shafts if anyone makes them or swap axle shafts from a ford rear end I have if anyone knows if that will work? I'm using them for a project build. I know I can drill the shafts to have that bolt pattern but I'd rather not risk the integrity of them with having a bunch of extra holes drilled. TIA

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Full float axles do not have studs in the axle shafts. You have a hub that the axle bolts too. The hub is what you need changed and I don’t know of any replacement hubs that change that bolt pattern on a 11.5.

You either run spacer/adapters or redrill the hubs

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Anyone know of anyone making axle shafts with 8 x 170 bolt patterns for the 11.5 inch? I'm using one of my spare rears that will be paired with one of my f250 axle patterns and would like to swap the axle shafts for ford pattern shafts if anyone makes them or swap axle shafts from a ford rear end I have if anyone knows if that will work? I'm using them for a project build. I know I can drill the shafts to have that bolt pattern but I'd rather not risk the integrity of them with having a bunch of extra holes drilled. TIA

As stated on a full float axle the studs are pressed into the hub. I don't know of any current hubs with an 8 x 170 that will fit the AAM 11.5, but if anyone could make them it would by Cory Lemirande from Lemirande Motorsports
https://www.facebook.com/LemirandeMotorsports/

He has machined hubs for D80, 14 bolt FF and others with custom offset and I'm sure he can put any bolt pattern on them. You may have to pay a few bucks, but his parts are top notch and get beat on.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
As stated on a full float axle the studs are pressed into the hub. I don't know of any current hubs with an 8 x 170 that will fit the AAM 11.5, but if anyone could make them it would by Cory Lemirande from Lemirande Motorsports
https://www.facebook.com/LemirandeMotorsports/

He has machined hubs for D80, 14 bolt FF and others with custom offset and I'm sure he can put any bolt pattern on them. You may have to pay a few bucks, but his parts are top notch and get beat on.

I second this. Cory's parts are nothing short of amazing quality and he is very open to new ideas.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
All,

Since pointing out it's actually the hubs and not the axle shafts themselves I would need to swap out I came across this searching with the correct terminology it seems ballistic fab makes a hub with the lug pattern I'm looking for: https://www.ballisticfabrication.com/products/aluminum-full-float-axle-hubs?variant=1496828936212 .

You're better off with spacers/adapters. If you change the hub you've solved one problem but now you need to re-drill brake rotors. If you run a smaller spacer/adapter you're money ahead and much faster. Hell, it may even get your axle width the same as the front.

paulllyw

Sep 23, 2019
Maryland
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think what ill do is get started with the adapters and maybe down the road drill the hubs. If the sterling axle rotors has similar dimensioning it's possible they would work with 14 bolt but it's highly unlikely

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thanks everyone for the replies. I think what ill do is get started with the adapters and maybe down the road drill the hubs. If the sterling axle rotors has similar dimensioning it's possible they would work with 14 bolt but it's highly unlikely

You're getting the corporate 14 bolt and AAM 11.5 mixed up. They both do have 14 bolts on the diff cover but they are NOT interchangeable.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Why not convert the Ford axle over to 8x6.5"? There's a couple of places that take f450 hubs, machine them down, and redrill them with an 8x6.5" pattern, then elongate the holes in the rotors to slide on.