6mm Long Range Rig

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Bone stock Rem 700 with the proper shifter ;)
Mcgowan full contour (1.070in) 1:7 twist, 26 in barrel [remage setup]
APA lil bastard brake
XLR chasis system with ARCA rail
Harris bipod and a RRS adaptor to the ARCA
Triggertech set to 1.5#
Burris XTRii 3-15 glass
Gamechanger bag cause its awesome

Think thats it

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Nice. Did you buy the action bare or buy a complete rifle and just used the action & bolt only? Just curious the best/cheapest way to go about building a long range precision rifle.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Nothing wrong with a 6mm Creed if you're hand loading. That's a big reason why I didn't buy one, I'm limited to factory ammo. Barely have enough time to shoot, let alone load my own stuff.

I know there's a huge aftermarket for the Rem 700, and that's why I bought one. But stock I was NOT impressed even the slightest. I think my $300 Savage cycles smoother and held just as tight of groups. I threw a cheap stockys accublock on it and helped a ton. My next gun will be another Savage, like a 110 tactical in 6.5cm

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Nice. Did you buy the action bare or buy a complete rifle and just used the action & bolt only? Just curious the best/cheapest way to go about building a long range precision rifle.

Bought action bare, if you buy a cheap ass ADL 700 from walmart and can sell off the barrel/stock its slightly cheaper. BUT then you are fighting to get the factory barrel off.

This is my second remage 700 build and pending how you outfit it, they can be made pretty cheap. More importantly it lets you build it with what you want versus buying and replacing parts.

Nothing wrong with a 6mm Creed if you're hand loading. That's a big reason why I didn't buy one, I'm limited to factory ammo. Barely have enough time to shoot, let alone load my own stuff.

I know there's a huge aftermarket for the Rem 700, and that's why I bought one. But stock I was NOT impressed even the slightest. I think my $300 Savage cycles smoother and held just as tight of groups. I threw a cheap stockys accublock on it and helped a ton. My next gun will be another Savage, like a 110 tactical in 6.5cm

I have nothing against savages, just ended up with the 700. I dry fire and cycle the bolt a good amount every evening and that def helps smooth some of gritty out of it. One major complaint is the damn bolt handle, tiny as hell and not threaded from factory for replacement. :mad:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Bought action bare, if you buy a cheap ass ADL 700 from walmart and can sell off the barrel/stock its slightly cheaper. BUT then you are fighting to get the factory barrel off.

This is my second remage 700 build and pending how you outfit it, they can be made pretty cheap. More importantly it lets you build it with what you want versus buying and replacing parts.

I have nothing against savages, just ended up with the 700. I dry fire and cycle the bolt a good amount every evening and that def helps smooth some of gritty out of it. One major complaint is the damn bolt handle, tiny as hell and not threaded from factory for replacement. :mad:

Old man told me to cover the bolt in toothpaste and cycle it a bunch. Supposed to lap it in, I haven't tried it yet.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
How do you like that brake? I was eyeing that exact model for my RPR.

Attachments

• 89DB4867-9818-4538-A45F-0E7004CE242E.jpg
    89DB4867-9818-4538-A45F-0E7004CE242E.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 26

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Old man told me to cover the bolt in toothpaste and cycle it a bunch. Supposed to lap it in, I haven't tried it yet.

Prob would work, but I ain't that brave. I use axle grease and clean it often.

How do you like that brake? I was eyeing that exact model for my RPR.

Its aggressively loud if you are not shooting the gun, but, it does work very well IMO.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
Started the black hole process

110gr SMK's over 4350 with CCI 200s and hornady brass. 2.850 COAL, which just squeaks out of mag

5O3Sq0cl.jpg

This was 2908/2863/2867fps, so I am gonna work this up and see how it does
eEtwluMl.jpg

69bMKZxl.jpg

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
I have issues with the OAL not fitting in Remington SA magazines. Though I'm surprised you're having issues with Sierras. I load a lot of 7mm-08's and two shoot Sierras with no magazine issues but one shoots Noslers and I can't get it within .015" of the lands due to the ogive.

If you're looking to play with that load, I'd give 4064 a try. But I'd also be happy with that .260" group in my hunting guns.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
I have issues with the OAL not fitting in Remington SA magazines. Though I'm surprised you're having issues with Sierras. I load a lot of 7mm-08's and two shoot Sierras with no magazine issues but one shoots Noslers and I can't get it within .015" of the lands due to the ogive.

If you're looking to play with that load, I'd give 4064 a try. But I'd also be happy with that .260" group in my hunting guns.

I have never had issues with jump on sierra stuff. I tried the 2.850 cause I wanted to see how far I could push it on loading from a mag. I may drop it back down after seeing how running the bolt under pressure goes.

4064 according to my sierra load data only gets you to 2800fps at max load, which is a tad slow for my liking.

Either way, 1/4moa is more than enough for a game rifle. :thumb: