67 chevelle duramax project

Cuttyman9

Feb 2, 2021
Fiddletown ca
www.5thgencelica.com
I just joined because I noticed someone mounted a duramax in a 67-72 c10.

I recently had a barn burn down and it had the engine I planned to install in my 67 chevelle in it. It was ready for mock up and I had spent a good deal of time sourcing parts for the whole thing.

So rather than go back through the years of gathering parts I decided to go with my second option- a duramax.

I’ve decided that I want to do the least cutting of the car because it has factory bucket seats and console and I really don’t want to hack all of the sheet metal up so I’m looking at a van duramax and 4l80.
I believe I’ve found one, hopefully it works out.
I spoke with the local guy who does duramax swaps on what’s needed and it seems reasonably straight forward. Adapters for factory mounts and a crossmember for the 4l80. Only real modification is cutting up the oil pan.
I’m new to tig welding but I think I’d like to give this a shot, worst case I buy a new pan and pay him.

Anyways I thought I would share. I’ll post pictures as I gather stuff.

RickDLance

Feb 14, 2007
If you decide you want to go back to gas I have a 67 402 short block less cam with an aftermarket rotating assembly for sale.

Cuttyman9

Feb 2, 2021
Fiddletown ca
www.5thgencelica.com
If you decide you want to go back to gas I have a 67 402 short block less cam with an aftermarket rotating assembly for sale.
Haha yeah, it was a ford engine so I’m sure you’ll cheer that it burned down.
I wanted something a bit different so I was looking to that or a duramax or an atlas I6.
The duramax is the closest to a bolt in. If I don’t go duramax I’ll either go back to the ford idea or sell the car. It’s not like I don’t have a plethora of projects already...

Thanks jakezed22 that will be very helpful!

Damn! That blown big block looks epic DM23

Reactions: Jakezed22

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Chevelle Duramax would be sick. I don’t think I seen one of those. Thanks man my brother and I put it together and it didn’t blow up on the dyno lol

Reactions: Cuttyman9

sawmilldmax

Apr 2, 2013
Mount Airy,NC
That's a cool project. I have an LGH out of a van in a 69 C-10 short bed. A place called Twisted Diesel is having good luck building those 4l80e's to hold a lot of power, as I'm sure maybe a vendor on here can help with that also. A guy named Rick Fletes has an LB7 in a '70 Chevelle that rocks. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

Reactions: Cuttyman9

Cuttyman9

Feb 2, 2021
Fiddletown ca
www.5thgencelica.com
That's a cool project. I have an LGH out of a van in a 69 C-10 short bed. A place called Twisted Diesel is having good luck building those 4l80e's to hold a lot of power, as I'm sure maybe a vendor on here can help with that also. A guy named Rick Fletes has an LB7 in a '70 Chevelle that rocks. Welcome to the forum and good luck.

I spoke with rick, he’s the one who mentioned the pan stuff. He’s been very helpful so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jakezed22

Jakezed22

Dec 2, 2016
I spoke with rick, he’s the one who mentioned the pan stuff.

I spoke with rick, he’s the one who mentioned the pan stuff. He’s been very helpful so far.

If you search this forum you'll find ricks pictures of his oil pan.

Also if you're on face book take a look at duramax swap groups. Rick has posted pics on there as well.

I also started a duramax swap group for cars only on face book. There's some good guys on there as well.

Cuttyman9

Feb 2, 2021
Fiddletown ca
www.5thgencelica.com
I got the engine and trans. Sadly they smashed the ecu and broke the glow plug module... tcu wasn’t included which sucks...
I need to source a cheap ecu at some point.
I got the harness labeled and some of the extra crap off the engine.

NY engines are pretty rusty underneath lol.
Sadly they also broke the plastic fuel return things on a few injectors... not sure how I’m going to get the rest of them out, any ideas?

I also broke a glow plug but I think I’m going to delete that since they aren’t exactly something I need if I’m never near snow.

Anyone have a handle on a tune for an lbz?

once the cars here and the pan/mounts are installed it’s ready to fit in the car, crossmember is waiting as well.

Also has anyone ran a belt with just the alternator? My chevelle doesn’t have AC or power steering so I figured I’d pull them off the engine for now until it does.

Attachments

• B74572A5-6F76-4A13-A8A0-B8158C8D096F.jpeg
    B74572A5-6F76-4A13-A8A0-B8158C8D096F.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 4FDE595C-597E-4A33-A3F0-8E96809F7B15.jpeg
    4FDE595C-597E-4A33-A3F0-8E96809F7B15.jpeg
    551 KB · Views: 43

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I broke a few return line fittings off in the injector last time I pulled my heads because they were so brittle. I used a pick to move them a tad and a very precision pair of needle nose to pull them out as well as the o ring

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Mine are very very stuck... I’m hoping I can get them out. I found metal ones so I’m hoping those live a little longer once installed
From what I’ve read and experienced, everything except the OEM return lines are going to give you leaking issues.

^This, only use GM/AcDelco lines. I've sourced them from Exergy, local GM dealer, Amazon, RockAuto etc with great luck on availability. Anything other than OEM has proven to be very inconsistent (some guys don't have issues, some leak immediately, some leak in 8 months etc).

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I’ll keep that in mind, I have them now so it’s worth a shot at least.
I just didn’t like that they were plastic and they broke off a handful shipping it so I wanted some insurance going forward

Shipping and being installed in a car are two different situations, keep that in mind as well. When they leak they will push fuel all over the engine and engine bay.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Here’s what happens when you buy Dorman sh!t. Haven’t touched them since installed last September. Noticed some hard starts and fuel smell this week. Popped the fuel filter housing off today to find one completely broken off in the injector. They’re so brittle the rear one broke during disassembly. Let me tell ya I was puckering trying to figure out how to get the bits out of the injector. Ended up using a drywall screw threaded into the broken off piece and pulling them out. Luckily the Dorman does have a lifetime warranty and Oreilly down the road has one to fix it for now. But will be ordering two OEM ones soon to replace both with for assurance.

Attachments

• C1E477D9-96F2-40FD-95AA-4DA5562FF806.jpeg
    C1E477D9-96F2-40FD-95AA-4DA5562FF806.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 28