6 Speed Conversion VB Info

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I know this topic has come up in the past but I am going to see if anyone has any info they're willing to share. Myself and another member are trying convert an LLY to a 6spd.

The TCM file side of things is solved, but what we're trying to figure out is how Suncoast uses a 5spd VB with what looks to be an added tube out of the g-solenoid block (like an LBZ VB). Does anyone know what else is done internally to their VB?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
why not use a newer vb? the programming is the hardest part.
After talking with Mike a while back and a few other members who've used the 11-19 style VB it seems like the shift quality is superior with the early VB and I have a few laying around.

I do have a DT kit here if I wanted to use a later VB.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
thats what i mean though, use a 06-10 vb.
I simply don't know what it takes to do. I have one here and so does the other gentleman. He swapped on a 5spd harness and spliced the trim valve/TCC solenoid plugs and was met with a constant P0847. If he cleared the code he would get first/reverse, once it applied second it would lock the tires up.

The only thing we can think of is the wiring is extremely different or we are idiots, both are likely.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbovan

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
I simply don't know what it takes to do. I have one here and so does the other gentleman. He swapped on a 5spd harness and spliced the trim valve/TCC solenoid plugs and was met with a constant P0847. If he cleared the code he would get first/reverse, once it applied second it would lock the tires up.

The only thing we can think of is the wiring is extremely different or we are idiots, both are likely.
I wonder if it works in reverse on one of those swaps. Like maybe the polarity needs to be reversed?

Any chance you have enough stuff laying around that you could set up this up electrically on a bench and command each gear with a scan tool???

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I wonder if it works in reverse on one of those swaps. Like maybe the polarity needs to be reversed?

Any chance you have enough stuff laying around that you could set up this up electrically on a bench and command each gear with a scan tool???
solenoids dont have polarity so that shouldn't be a factor

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
[QUOTE="Bdsankey, post: 1185688, member: 35310]He swapped on a 5spd harness and spliced the trim valve[/QUOTE]

I did exactly that some time back. Worked 'OK', except the 6-speed trim valves didn't play nice with the 5-speed. Shifts tended to be funky.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk