6.6L coolant leak

Glenn N

Mar 22, 2023
Steubenville, Ohio
We have a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L with a coolant leak at the block off plate on the right rear of the engine. Can anyone tell me if this can be accessed through the right inner fender well to replace the gasket. I've found videos for earlier model year trucks but nothing this new. Those earlier models seem to have more room inside the inner fender area. Any help would be appreciated.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
We have a 2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L with a coolant leak at the block off plate on the right rear of the engine. Can anyone tell me if this can be accessed through the right inner fender well to replace the gasket. I've found videos for earlier model year trucks but nothing this new. Those earlier models seem to have more room inside the inner fender area. Any help would be appreciated.
You will have to remove the passenger side up-pipe. I usually use the billet replacement piece as the failure occurs from the stamped steel usually warping and losing pressure on the gasket. Below is what I'm talking about. It uses an o-ring to seal to the cover instead of the OEM gasket.

1679488187017.png

Reactions: 1TRIKHD and Glenn N

Glenn N

Mar 22, 2023
Steubenville, Ohio
Would you happen to have any other information
You will have to remove the passenger side up-pipe. I usually use the billet replacement piece as the failure occurs from the stamped steel usually warping and losing pressure on the gasket. Below is what I'm talking about. It uses an o-ring to seal to the cover instead of the OEM gasket.

View attachment 113789
Would you happen any other information as to how hard it is to access the down pipe? we are trying to determine if we can do this job ourselves or have to farm it out because of limited space in our shop and downtime. Any help would be appreciated.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Would you happen to have any other information

Would you happen any other information as to how hard it is to access the down pipe? we are trying to determine if we can do this job ourselves or have to farm it out because of limited space in our shop and downtime. Any help would be appreciated.
Pull the fender liner and take a look. It’s not a hard job on 04.5+ trucks but can be a pain with EGR coolers/risers, up-pipe bolts can be a pain in the ass (break).