5-speed rebuild kit

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Does it allow slippage?
Many reasons to not use them. They are too thin, loss of friction area due to slots. You will find a high spot in the steel plate slots on one side because of stamping procedure which will start to shave frinction material and plug internal filter. Alto G3 clutches or Raybestos ( Suncoast ) frictions along with the latest Alto koleen steels are the ticket.

Reactions: RMJ_LB7

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Many reasons to not use them. They are too thin, loss of friction area due to slots. You will find a high spot in the steel plate slots on one side because of stamping procedure which will start to shave frinction material and plug internal filter. Alto G3 clutches or Raybestos ( Suncoast ) frictions along with the latest Alto koleen steels are the ticket.

You are a genius... Thank you!

Would you recommend Evan's kit instead of goerend's rebuild kit?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Evans kit is structured for the pro and DIY with support tech. Goerend kits are for the pro. If buying a Goerend kit, you need to pick the parts you want as he has different set ups. I get my stuff from Goerend as I pick and choose the exact parts I need for my builds. The parts I use are very simiar to what Evan uses.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
We use the Goerend kits at my shop and have had great luck. Evan also puts together one hell of a great kit. Like Mike said, I'd stay away from the slotted C3/C4. Make sure what ever kit you buy doesn't run Kolene steels in the C2 as it will wear the drum like a hot knife through butter.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I talked to Tony this morning and he told me the picture of the kit was an old one from years ago.

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
Thanks for all the good info guys. I will tear it down first and make sure it looks good inside. It should though since it was shifting fine and only has 106k miles on it. Then I'll call Limitless and get his kit. I also have to convert it to 4wd, but I already have a tail housing assy and output shaft. We've been really busy on paying work and towing lately, which makes it hard to stay late and work on my own junk, but I'm inching along.