4L80E Manual VB and TCC control

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I have a 4L80E that I have converted to full manual. No more computer control or automatic shifts. The question I have for any of you with knowlege of this trans is, due to the fact that the manual VB kit doesn't touch the torque converter lock up circuit and I don't wish to run an oil flow conversion for a non-lockup converter, and also the fact that the factory TCC solenoid is PWM and not able to take continuous 12 volt power without burining out.....can I run a tcc solenoid from a 4L60E that is non PWM and rated for continuous opperation? I believe that there are a few model years that had the non-PWM apply solenoid for TCC in the 4L60E...

What I am getting at is since the computer control module will no longer be used, and the VB is full manual I also need a way to manually control the TCC lockup.

Thanks guys

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I have a 4L80E that I have converted to full manual. No more computer control or automatic shifts. The question I have for any of you with knowlege of this trans is, due to the fact that the manual VB kit doesn't touch the torque converter lock up circuit and I don't wish to run an oil flow conversion for a non-lockup converter, and also the fact that the factory TCC solenoid is PWM and not able to take continuous 12 volt power without burining out.....can I run a tcc solenoid from a 4L60E that is non PWM and rated for continuous opperation? I believe that there are a few model years that had the non-PWM apply solenoid for TCC in the 4L60E...

What I am getting at is since the computer control module will no longer be used, and the VB is full manual I also need a way to manually control the TCC lockup.

Thanks guys

I need to look at my notes. I'll let you know monday.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Thanks a bunch Mike! I have been told to simply install a resistor inline with the factory PWM solenoid to raise the total resistance above 17 ohms...but I'm just making sure this is the best option.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
mike S

what did you use to convert to full manaul? trans scat kit?

i have found the TCi and Hughes both seel a manual VB tci is a trans brake wiht reverse pattern and hughes is a normal manual VB standard stift pattern

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Malibu,

Lookup Transgo, kit number 4L80E-3, that is the kit I used. It is just a manual conversion for the VB, and a few simple upgrades inside the case and pump. Standard forward pattern, and the nice thing is that it replaces the electronic modulation with vacuum modulation so you don't have to run full line pressure all the time.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Malibu,

Lookup Transgo, kit number 4L80E-3, that is the kit I used. It is just a manual conversion for the VB, and a few simple upgrades inside the case and pump. Standard forward pattern, and the nice thing is that it replaces the electronic modulation with vacuum modulation so you don't have to run full line pressure all the time.

Full line pressure does not exist in the 4L80 all the time, only the Allison. Line pressure is governed by throttle position wether it be electronic or vacum.
The in pan vacum line will callapse in the Transgo kit because the atf will eat the hose.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Full line pressure does not exist in the 4L80 all the time, only the Allison. Line pressure is governed by throttle position wether it be electronic or vacum.
The in pan vacum line will callapse in the Transgo kit because the atf will eat the hose.

Right, I was only referring to what I have read about some other manual conversion kits that don't do anything to modulate line pressure. What I read is that thy leave the solenoid in the VB but don't actuate it and that leads to full line pressure constantly. Just what I read when I was researching before the buy.

As far as the vac line inside the pan...I thought about that, I'm trying to find some line that is resistant. No luck yet. The kit does come with a spring to put inside the line to prevent it from colapsing, but I am worried about it sweling and coming appart.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Right, I was only referring to what I have read about some other manual conversion kits that don't do anything to modulate line pressure. What I read is that thy leave the solenoid in the VB but don't actuate it and that leads to full line pressure constantly. Just what I read when I was researching before the buy.

As far as the vac line inside the pan...I thought about that, I'm trying to find some line that is resistant. No luck yet. The kit does come with a spring to put inside the line to prevent it from colapsing, but I am worried about it sweling and coming appart.

It will come off. Only good thing is it will run max psi when it does.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Well, max line pressure default is better than minumum....well, maybe.

Any word on the solenoid options?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well, max line pressure default is better than minumum....well, maybe.

Any word on the solenoid options?

You will need to change the pulse rate at the computer. Normal rate is around 7/10 of a second and you might be able to shorten to about 3/10 with EFI. You can always go with a triple lock converter which will lock the converter quicker at a lower psi and not worry about it.
If you were to try and do it with a solenoid, you would have to start opening up certain orifices in the valve body and you would probably start having problems with TCC applying on a regular basis.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Only trouble is that this is going into a '94 1/2 ton...I am trying to delete computer controll on this truck. Now, the transgo tech told me to use a toggle switch and a resistor to take the total circuit resistance to 17-25 ohms. He stated that this should work fine, but I wanted to get a second oppinion.

My goal here is to completely delete electronic controll in this truck except for fuel injection.

Thanks a ton for your help so far mike!

Last edited:

TIM Z

Screwed by 0087s
Jan 17, 2009
Navarre, OH
I'd like to see your project, sounds cool.:)

What all TBI mods have you done to feed that engine?

Im getting ready to put Vortec heads/comp cam/ intake on my 95 TBI Tahoe.

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
I have aluminum vortech heads, a matched manifold, a 280H grind roller cam (if I remember right), hardened pushrods, guideplates, roller rocker arms 1.5 ratio, holley 675 CFM throttle body, a custom E-PROM emulator system for on the fly tuning, hooker supercomp headers and 2" crosspipe that merges into a 3.5" shorty exhaust, and now am still working on this manual slushbox. LOL!

Its all in a truck with 12-13 inches of lift and sits on 38.5 swampers. Fun truck when its not broken. :)

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Yeah, been runnin a toggle switch with an ignition ballast resistor in line for a few months now, seems to be working just fine. No issues so far with this setup.

redgt

Sep 6, 2010
Yeah, been runnin a toggle switch with an ignition ballast resistor in line for a few months now, seems to be working just fine. No issues so far with this setup.

Does this still work Mike? Has it fried the solenoid yet?

Thanks

redgt

Sep 6, 2010
So, you used an ignition ballast resistor, from what? There are quite a few out there. How many ohms?

I have the full manual Transgo kit too, I want to lock the converter up while cruising. If your setup works then I want to duplicate it as best I can. :thumb:

Lots of people fry the solenoid from what I understand, I don't want to have to drop the pan everytime it does.

Thanks!