2wd Street tires?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
if you use an arch welder or TIG and use a nickle based rod, you can weld very well to those cast steel center sections without a bunch of pre-heat (still good to have some though). lots of ultra4 guys have done this with axle trusses with great success.

otherwise i have welded to cast steel with reg old ER70S-6 MIG wire. the rear axle under my tracker was done that way and the front diff mounts were cut/modified this way as well. its all about the pre and post heat. you will start hearing popping or crackling noises as it cools if not, thats small fractures starting under your weld.

i know your learning and i would agree to knock it off and build one off the steel tube but this info will help if you plan to weld the housing to the tubes. you would need a pretty heavy duty machine to melt it all in though. something in the miller 210 and up type deal.

i applaud you at tackling this on and running with it! you really have done a pretty good job all things considered.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
i applaud you at tackling this on and running with it! you really have done a pretty good job all things considered.

I appreciate the kind words! My buddy welds for a living and I am lucky that he is pretty talented at TIG welding. I do have access to a Sand Jet at my grandpas business so I am going to draw something up. It has been almost 2 years that I have been working on this truck since im trying everything myself. Also the budget for my "race truck" are slim :rofl:

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
i dont know how high that mount is from top of the axle tube to the center of the bolt hole but you might look at buying this just for simplicity sake. weld it on and then add a single tube to the back to triangulate it, extend the panhard bar and you are done.

https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/PANCEN.html

for $125 I can get the DOM tubing, bracket and also the rod end set! Looks like I know what I am ordering! I wish I would have found these guys a while ago...

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
for $125 I can get the DOM tubing, bracket and also the rod end set! Looks like I know what I am ordering! I wish I would have found these guys a while ago...

Ruff Stuff and Ballistic Fab are great sources for fab parts as well as TabZone. Ruff stuff rod ends are "meh" but for a pan hard, i wouldnt worry about it. if you want new rod ends on the link bars, buy FK heims or Aurora (aurora is not cheap but will most likely outlast you lol)