2022 Duramax?

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Anybody know what GMs plans are for a replacement for the L5P or when they might upgrade stock power levels again? I’ve heard 2022MY but nothing concrete. They’re in 3rd place behind Ford and Ram and I’m sure they are planning something as by this point they’ve had the same thing for 5 model years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I've only heard of interior upgrades, they had to repackage the l5p for the 20 so it will probally be around for another model year.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
Gotcha. I’d assume maybe 2023 then they’ll upgrade the engine or change it completely.

As far as interior I would think panoramic sunroof, cooled rear seats, massage seats maybe, bigger center stack screen, wireless apple car play which they may already have on the 21s, rear entertainment, adaptive cruise control or super cruise like Cadillac, trailer backup assist and some other things I can’t think of right now. All of these are available elsewhere to some degree but GM is always last though they usually get it right the first time.

Last edited:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
We will never get super cruise bc we tow heavy, the interior will be identical to the current suv platform. GM no longer cares about internal combustion vehicles, all the good engineers are on the electric or hybrid stuff. If you want bad ass tech you will want the hummer or the first round of electric 1500's which will basically outperform anything we have ever had. I'm excited, I cancelled my Rivian and will go with the newest option from GMC once it's out.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
Here I was thinking trucks were for towing and doing work. . . . . .

I literally would not pay one cent for any of those options. However, I do hope they drop the power and make the truck shift decent and it can figure out what the heck to do when I hit the throttle as I try to pull away from a stop with a trailer behind me. Or maybe they could refine the motor and make it smoother and quieter so it doesn’t sound like a freakin crow trying to break out of a chalk board lined box. Or maybe they could stiffen up the tailgate so when you walk on it while carrying tools it doesn’t feel like you are going to bend the thing in half. Or maybe they could do away with the “look how awesome I am because my truck is so stupidly tall” looks and the huge cavern that is created literally just so the hood is taller then the cowl that fills with slush and water and freezes solid so I can’t use my wipers. Or maybe they could remove the 2” thick bow tie from the front wall of the bad so I can stack lumber and sheet material to the top and still close my tailgate. How about they incorporate a separate breakaway hook at the hitch that I can hook my breakaway to that is required in every state instead of the chain hook hole where it gets beat up. It would even be nice if I could hook up a trailer to my one to Truck and not have it pointing at the sky and dragging its butt on the ground like a dog with hemorrhoids. Or it would be nice if they made turn signals in the mirror standard so when I’m towing a 30’ trailer and some yahoo is pacing me on the freeway when I need to get over they can actually see my blinker and let me over. A way to turn the truck to auxiliary so I can listen to the radio while working or splitting wood or loading a trailer without having to walk over to the truck and hit the stupid start button every 10 minutes would be great. A way to keep the truck running when it’s below zero and I have to run in to get groceries and a family member wants to stay in the truck but then it shuts off and they freeze their nuts off would be pretty nice. Should I continue?

who am I kidding, why fix any of that stuff, just add more power and giant screens everywhere so we can all brag about how cool we are because we have more power and the biggest screen!!! Who cares if it works, as long as it has it and we can brag about it thats all that matters!! Lift that truck to the sky so we can’t work out of it or use a gooseneck or reach into the engine bay to fill the washer fluid.

It’s amazing to me how society has taken a vehicle that is made to do work and tow, and then demanded that it be turned into a luxury vehicle and drive the price so sky high that the people that need the truck, the very people the truck was made for, can’t even afford the thing. 8 out of 10 vehicles on the road are trucks, and 90% of those trucks are Platinums, Denalis, or high country trims with a soccer mom, dude with a suit on, or the classic dude clad from head to toe with under armor and crocs, none of which use the truck as a truck, but all of them make sure to tell everyone how awesome their big diesel truck is with all its options that they have no idea how to use or that they even have them.

it’s just sad that people think that big, dumb, slow, poor handling, fuel sucking, heavy trucks are cool. What’s next? Optioned out skid steers? Luxury bulldozers? Wireless CarPlay hammers? what else is there that the masses can ruin for the people that actually use the tools to get work done?

sorry, I digress. Rant over for now. . . . .

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are shifting problems with the new 10 speed along with GM and Ford. Some of the shifts are so hard, people are worying they will brake a drive shaft under tow. The law suits are starting big time.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010

I literally would not pay one cent for any of those options. However, I do hope they drop the power and make the truck shift decent and it can figure out what the heck to do when I hit the throttle as I try to pull away from a stop with a trailer behind me. Or maybe they could refine the motor and make it smoother and quieter so it doesn’t sound like a freakin crow trying to break out of a chalk board lined box. Or maybe they could stiffen up the tailgate so when you walk on it while carrying tools it doesn’t feel like you are going to bend the thing in half. Or maybe they could do away with the “look how awesome I am because my truck is so stupidly tall” looks and the huge cavern that is created literally just so the hood is taller then the cowl that fills with slush and water and freezes solid so I can’t use my wipers. Or maybe they could remove the 2” thick bow tie from the front wall of the bad so I can stack lumber and sheet material to the top and still close my tailgate. How about they incorporate a separate breakaway hook at the hitch that I can hook my breakaway to that is required in every state instead of the chain hook hole where it gets beat up. It would even be nice if I could hook up a trailer to my one to Truck and not have it pointing at the sky and dragging its butt on the ground like a dog with hemorrhoids. Or it would be nice if they made turn signals in the mirror standard so when I’m towing a 30’ trailer and some yahoo is pacing me on the freeway when I need to get over they can actually see my blinker and let me over. A way to turn the truck to auxiliary so I can listen to the radio while working or splitting wood or loading a trailer without having to walk over to the truck and hit the stupid start button every 10 minutes would be great. A way to keep the truck running when it’s below zero and I have to run in to get groceries and a family member wants to stay in the truck but then it shuts off and they freeze their nuts off would be pretty nice. Should I continue?

who am I kidding, why fix any of that stuff, just add more power and giant screens everywhere so we can all brag about how cool we are because we have more power and the biggest screen!!! Who cares if it works, as long as it has it and we can brag about it thats all that matters!! Lift that truck to the sky so we can’t work out of it or use a gooseneck or reach into the engine bay to fill the washer fluid.

It’s amazing to me how society has taken a vehicle that is made to do work and tow, and then demanded that it be turned into a luxury vehicle and drive the price so sky high that the people that need the truck, the very people the truck was made for, can’t even afford the thing. 8 out of 10 vehicles on the road are trucks, and 90% of those trucks are Platinums, Denalis, or high country trims with a soccer mom, dude with a suit on, or the classic dude clad from head to toe with under armor and crocs, none of which use the truck as a truck, but all of them make sure to tell everyone how awesome their big diesel truck is with all its options that they have no idea how to use or that they even have them.

it’s just sad that people think that big, dumb, slow, poor handling, fuel sucking, heavy trucks are cool. What’s next? Optioned out skid steers? Luxury bulldozers? Wireless CarPlay hammers? what else is there that the masses can ruin for the people that actually use the tools to get work done?

I think that’s called the work truck trim. I have one at work with a long bed, 2WD, crew cab and even that has apple car play. Other than that, and power door locks and windows, it had no options. It was $38,000 OTD but with the 6.6 gas engine and 6 speed.

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
There are shifting problems with the new 10 speed along with GM and Ford. Some of the shifts are so hard, people are worying they will brake a drive shaft under tow. The law suits are starting big time.

The only time I’ve experienced wierd shifting has been with no load in stop and go traffic. I can feel it skip shifting down and/or up but at least down. Towing has been awesome.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course

That's why they sell base model work trucks. If your that unhappy I suggest you try a different brand, but my guess is you would have just as many complaints. If you want to rant about the way the HD truck market has gone no one is forcing you to buy a new truck. Build an old one that you will be happy with.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
^^^ That's why I will never sell my 16, it has the newer body style and proven engine tech that is quiet and smooth plus a real Allison. When the newer trucks come out I will buy one to DD and leave my regular cab to fun sideways action and keep LML for heavy hauling.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
The only thing I mentioned that has anything to do with trim levels is the stupid push to start. Everything else would be the same, no matter the trim.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I think that’s called the work truck trim. I have one at work with a long bed, 2WD, crew cab and even that has apple car play. Other than that, and power door locks and windows, it had no options. It was $38,000 OTD but with the 6.6 gas engine and 6 speed.

The work truck trims are nice and have more than a guy really needs. But trying to find one in anything but white and 2WD is almost impossible around here. 2WD would be great for the better mileage, but completely impossible for me, I hooked up my trailer yesterday morning, flat ground, little bit of snow, could not move an inch. These trucks will get stuck in their own tracks on flat ground. I also was very seriously looking at the gas motor for this truck, but with the weight I tow and driving across the country I figured I would go with another diesel.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
That's why they sell base model work trucks. If your that unhappy I suggest you try a different brand, but my guess is you would have just as many complaints. If you want to rant about the way the HD truck market has gone no one is forcing you to buy a new truck. Build an old one that you will be happy with.

like I said, besides PTS, all those complaints would apply no matter the trim level. I’m not a guy that is unhappy no matter what and will pick anything apart. I just expect that if I buy a 3500HD truck that it will be made for doing work and towing, and this one is not. The fact that my truck will Rust away makes me buy a new one. The frame on my ‘12 had more rust than my buddies ‘99 truck out in Oregon, and my rockers were rusting away and getting holes over the rear wheels, nothing I can do about it. I’ve had numerous Duramax trucks since they came out, and I dislike each one more than the last, but unfortunately they don’t last forever around here.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN

I‘ve got a trailer on 95% of the time, and once underway I haven’t really had any issues, not as busy as I was afraid the 10-speed would be. The power is good and the tranny does fine. My issue primarily is at a stop sign. I’ll come to a near-stop, not a stop for two seconds kind of stop, but a stop. When I hit the throttle there is nothing, it can’t figure out what gear it should be in, and since I can’t tell what gear the truck is in, it’s at least second if not maybe third. Tow/Haul is on. A lot of my jobs lately are in the city, nice neighborhoods with lots of stop signs. I’ll roll up to the stop sign with brakes on, come to a near stop (like Rolling at .25 mph), and I’ll hit the gas to go, it takes so long that I’ve had other cars start to go out of turn because they think I’m not going. Why the thing won’t shift into first is beyond me. Doesn’t matter if I roll into the throttle or put it to the floor.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
^^^ That's why I will never sell my 16, it has the newer body style and proven engine tech that is quiet and smooth plus a real Allison. When the newer trucks come out I will buy one to DD and leave my regular cab to fun sideways action and keep LML for heavy hauling.

the new ones will get sideways too if you know how to get past the pesky stabilitrak lol! A good buddy of mine has been a tire guy for 40 years, a couple days ago his jaw dropped when he saw what my tires looked like with only 5,000 miles on the truck lol!

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014
The only thing I mentioned that has anything to do with trim levels is the stupid push to start. Everything else would be the same, no matter the trim.
I used to think the push button start was a dumb feature, then I bought my wife a Cadillac that has it. Now whenever my Denali won't unlock with my proximity, or I hear my key chain banging around on the steering column, I get pissed.

I guess I'm getting old.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
I used to think the push button start was a dumb feature, then I bought my wife a Cadillac that has it. Now whenever my Denali won't unlock with my proximity, or I hear my key chain banging around on the steering column, I get pissed.

I guess I'm getting old.

Ha! I can understand the irritation of the noisy keys hanging from the column, that would drive me nuts!

My issue with the push to start is there is no auxiliary position so you can listen to the radio or use the WiFi for more than 10 minutes without the truck shutting down. I want to be able to turn the dome light off, open the door and listen to music while I’m splitting wood or loading up tools. I understand you can put the truck into service mode or whatever it’s called, but then everything is on and kills the battery in no time.

it also drives me bonkers that I need my fob to open my tailgate. I clip my keys on my work bag when I have my tool belt on and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve run out to my truck to open the tailgate and can’t because my fob isn’t on me. It’s just the number of little things like that, that, to me, take away the basics of what a truck should be, and it’s frustrating to me.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ha! I can understand the irritation of the noisy keys hanging from the column, that would drive me nuts!

My issue with the push to start is there is no auxiliary position so you can listen to the radio or use the WiFi for more than 10 minutes without the truck shutting down. I want to be able to turn the dome light off, open the door and listen to music while I’m splitting wood or loading up tools. I understand you can put the truck into service mode or whatever it’s called, but then everything is on and kills the battery in no time.

it also drives me bonkers that I need my fob to open my tailgate. I clip my keys on my work bag when I have my tool belt on and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve run out to my truck to open the tailgate and can’t because my fob isn’t on me. It’s just the number of little things like that, that, to me, take away the basics of what a truck should be, and it’s frustrating to me.

are you talking about the "push the PTS button for 10 sec without holding the brake" mode? i do that all the time, had the stereo going for 3 hours while loading my garage up over this past week and batteries were good.

Hoser

Jun 19, 2016
Farmington, MN
are you talking about the "push the PTS button for 10 sec without holding the brake" mode? i do that all the time, had the stereo going for 3 hours while loading my garage up over this past week and batteries were good.

Yeah, that’s what I was referring to. I remember reading years ago to NEVER leave your truck in the “ON” position without it running as it was very hard on some component and could “burn it out”, can’t remember what component it was though. Is that not the case on these trucks? It’s good to hear you did it for three hours on your truck, I’ve done it in other gas GM vehicles and the thing would barely start after 20 minutes. I hadn’t tried to see how long this truck would go for the reason stated above. Thanks for posting your experience, maybe I’ll try it.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i dont see why anything would "burn out". i just make sure everything is shut off like lights, dome light, and what ever else you can turn off. having 2 batteries over the gassers helps.