2020 work truck fueling issue

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My brand new work truck has an issue when trying to fuel it. Can only input 1/2 gallon at a time, at very slow pump speed. Mechanics are stumped.
Its a 6.0 LS with an Allison, so the drivetrain setup is very similar to a regular GM pickup.

Fuel pump in the tank does work as it should. Tank located right behind rear axle.
The tank vent runs from neck to tank sending unit/pump module, thru what looks like a valve on the top of the module. This valve also has an outlet that runs to the evap valving module and canister, which is mounted right behind the rear axle at the front of the tank, in the path of road splash from both sets of duals.
The cannisters on these Freightliners fill with road debris...I am told its an ongoing issue, esp on rural route trucks.

Mechanics have blown air thru the vent tube up to the fill neck, and it is clear. They are also replacing the evap valving and cannister, thinking that has something to do with this.
It strikes me that the only problem HAS to be that valve on top of the tank. It the only logical thing. Can anyone give me some idea if thats viable?

Also, could we move the evap valving/cannister over to the frame (away from the tires and splash) and just use longer hoses between that and the tank without it throwing codes? Our older Workhorses have the same tank location setup, but the evap is on the frame rail in front of the tires, and theyve never had fueling or evap issues.

Thanks for any insight.

Hate2Looz

Jul 31, 2020
Michigan
Extend the canister vent to a better location. I would try it with the canister vent disconnected at the canister. Make sure the vent solenoid is open/venting when it should be. If no change, could be a restriction in the tank or pump module check valve issue but unlikely.

Reactions: TheBac

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
double check the filler hose. Uncle had a work truck for his company and they smashed the rubber fill tube between the service body and the frame. Truck would take fuel really slow. Yours may not be smashed, but kinked or twisted.

Reactions: TheBac