2020 air intake

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Maybe I missed it when they did the redesign of the body and just got hooked on the 10 speed trans but I figured I would look at the intake on my truck. I seen where Gale showed in a vid about the 17-19 trucks having to suck through a small port. Looks like gm changed that because this thing gets a “ram air” intake regardless of the hood scoop and looks like decent sized tubing so I’m not real sure aftermarket will gain much from it. Pics below

Scoop under hood at top of grill. Runs the full length of the grill
365da91286c5d84b2a511ebfdb017941.jpg

Intake down into the air box from hood
4a15e15a3df2e4d7f596bac7fb2ea9ab.jpg

Tube from scoop to the air box. About a 4x2 size (didn’t measure though)
4fa0ea0327842f209fb82f8be3e3602d.jpg

Thought it was interesting and figured I’d share

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
That is interesting. Seems they're really focusing on access to cold air with the new trucks.

Good to see that, really. I know when my intake air temps climb much over 120°F, my truck becomes a laggy pig. I've got a ghetto homemade aluminum airbox that helps keep temps down, but something like this would be a huge improvement.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I wish GM would spend more time showing off this kind of stuff and less time advertising their invisible trailer and ugly-ass mirrors (no offense). This kind of stuff makes me really think about getting a L5P, as it directly addresses areas my LB7 struggles at my power levels.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
That is interesting. Seems they're really focusing on access to cold air with the new trucks.

Good to see that, really. I know when my intake air temps climb much over 120°F, my truck becomes a laggy pig. I've got a ghetto homemade aluminum airbox that helps keep temps down, but something like this would be a huge improvement.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I wish GM would spend more time showing off this kind of stuff and less time advertising their invisible trailer and ugly-ass mirrors (no offense). This kind of stuff makes me really think about getting a L5P, as it directly addresses areas my LB7 struggles at my power levels.

They won’t advertise that because some jackass will just buy an HSP intake because its powder coated :roflmao:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
On a 19, I believe it. They use a much smaller hole to pull air from and it comes from the fender. Supposably the hood scoop is restricted in how much the box gets from that too but I’ve not looked at my buddies 19 enough to know. The 20 air box has a much much larger hole pulling from the front now

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
On my dads 18 the AFE intake picked up .05 at the 1/4 from stock to 60hp+ from their module. That’s probably 10hp. The intake sealed up nicely to the hood and had a larger opening to the fender than factory. I’m sure the filter and smoother intake tube is where the gains were made. James the 20’s hood scoop looks much larger but the area where it goes into the box looks smaller but hard to tell from pictures. I don’t see how Banks could get 20hp gain but maybe it’s because their test on the dyno doesn’t have a ram air effect.

beach_33

Feb 18, 2008
des moines, IA
I’m also confused because I’m sure I heard him say in a video that the intake resonator was needed and that deleting it was actually having a negative effect on the smoothness of the intake air in to the turbo. Yet he has resonator deletes for sale for the 17-19 l5p’s

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I’m also confused because I’m sure I heard him say in a video that the intake resonator was needed and that deleting it was actually having a negative effect on the smoothness of the intake air in to the turbo. Yet he has resonator deletes for sale for the 17-19 l5p’s

Probably just for people that want them, I’m sure gm puts it on for a reason and I never heard the intake more after deleting one :confused:

Robby Avery

GM TECH @ FENDER GMC
Jul 31, 2008
Norman Park, Georgia
Ironically gm is putting that style on all new vehicles I've worked on lately seems as though in testing that the coolest place to grab air so it isn't heat soaked by the cooling stack:thumb:

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I know the design of the hood ducting is different on 2020’s from comparing to wife’s 19 Denali. But I’m sure they redesigned more than that cause I’ve seen too many come in with wet and partially pulled through air filters.

Good info though. I don’t get enough time to play with and really look at all the changes. Honestly when first opening hood on 2020 what caught my eye was the oil fill tube they added