2015 dually knock

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
I tried doing research on this and i come up with all kinds of stuff such as rod knock, bad injector, cracked flex plate, oil problem. Have a 2015 duramax dually and have had it for about 20k miles. Same with all my other duramaxs i use rotella synthetic and mobil 1 filter and never heard a knock or typewriter tick. I recently changed my oil using same oil but i put on one of those massive PPE oil filters and now i have a knock from the driver side wheel well. Think it only does it when warm. Injector balance rates are all good, think oil filter can do this? I am gonna chamge it to see just wanted opinions. Cant really hear it from the top of motor just underneath and on driver side, i am freaking out that its a rod knock buy oil pressure is stable and good

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Think an oil filter could cause this? I read it is common and has something to do with air bubbles in the oil but idk. Guess ill change filter and see, suck cause it a $45 oil filter

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Your best bet is to try the same filter you have normally used and see if it persist

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
They consistently typewriter tick worse when the oil is fresh from my experience, I don't believe you have any problems at all but if it bothers you you can try running the filter you usually run and see if that helps.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I used to use rotella in my trucks but got to where the ticking was ridiculous. Switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic and no more issues with ticking or that terrible breather smell rotella gave me.

Reactions: Pure Diesel

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I used to use rotella in my trucks but got to where the ticking was ridiculous. Switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic and no more issues with ticking or that terrible breather smell rotella gave me.
They also do it worse when hot (thinner oil). I have noticed Amsoil does it really bad and I believe it has something to do with it being so slick. If rotella was worse I'm guessing you were running the 5w-40 synthetic which would make since to me being a thinner oil even when not hot.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
They also do it worse when hot (thinner oil). I have noticed Amsoil does it really bad and I believe it has something to do with it being so slick. If rotella was worse I'm guessing you were running the 5w-40 synthetic which would make since to me being a thinner oil even when not hot.
Yep all I run is full synthetic now. I ran regular Dino rotella in my lb7 and I could not stand the smell, plus with the miles I drive the longer change intervals are nice.
To the OP, try another filter and see if that fixes it. If not then you’ll know that isn’t the issue

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
It won't hurt to try but I would bet money a different filter won't change it. A thicker oil would probably tone it down..

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
I have been using the same oil for years and never had this noise and its not a typewriter tick it sounds like a knock. I have 2200 miles on this oil change and it still does it. When i am due to change i think ill swap to Delo 400 and mobil 1 oil filter. Ill experiment and change the filter

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I always use GM filters. On my regular cab I ran an aftermarket filter that actually made me run less oil pressure. I caught it bc of my cts, as soon as I switched to a factory filter pressure came right back. Factory Filter is cheap insurance to me.

Reactions: DAVe3283

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
I always use GM filters. On my regular cab I ran an aftermarket filter that actually made me run less oil pressure. I caught it bc of my cts, as soon as I switched to a factory filter pressure came right back. Factory Filter is cheap insurance to me.
Only filter I’ve used besides factory GM is the Mobil 1 extended performance 20k mile one. The only reason I do this is because in my situation sometimes I end up well past my 7k change interval on Mobil 1 full synth. Little bit of extra insurance and I’ve had great luck with them and see no change in oil pressure. Otherwise, factory GM all the way.

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Well oil filter didn't change anything. Ill have to try a different oil maybe rotella changed the formula idk. Just hoping its really not a rod knock but if it was i would think it would fluctuate oil pressure and be consistent noise. Don't think its a injector cause cant hear it from the top and balance rates all good. I did learn though that a filter that says it fits doesnt. I used an M1-303A and wouldnt thread on i put a M1-303 and threaded right on, strange

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Think it maybe an injector. I literally just noticed but upon acceleration i am rolling coal pretty good,l for a few seconds, never done that before

Reactions: OleBlackyLBZ

pavetim

Jan 10, 2011
Well i tried the dvt and it says lml doesnt support dynamic logging so when i say its an lmm the dvt and injector stuff comes up but when i disable injector and look at logged data the injectors are still in.