LMM: 2008 LMM Popping noise while turning

hw1353

Lurking...
Sep 27, 2016
Been fighting this battle for sometime.

I purchased an LMM a while back for a good deal. When I test drove, I heard it make a few pops when backing out and turning right. It seems like its coming from the driver side of the truck.

2008 2WD LMM CC

Rebuilt front end:

Torsion bar bushings
Moog Wheel Bearings
Delco Tie rods/Moog ends
New UCAs w/ balljoints ( new UCA pins/sliders/cams/bolts)
New LCAs w/ balljoints
New Bumpstops
Front brake job, new pads, turned rotors, cleaned calipers, greased slide pins.
New steering gear & pressure lines
New Pitman and Idler arms
New Delco Pro Sway bar links
RC Steering Stabilizer
Bilstein Yellows
New Intermediate Steering shaft( have clamp on steering column for now, but going to replace bearing soon)
New Body mounts - energy suspension, all 8.
Replaced driver side brake caliper

Whats really confusing is the popping never stopped after I built the front end. Still pops when turning hard to the right, and then pops when moving back towards center.

I have some videos on youtube from under the truck. Looks like the torsion bar could be moving a little inside the new LCAs. Only happens on driver front side. Video is before the body mounts being replaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7waAqREmWGg

Fairly loud inside the cab, sometimes pops so hard I can feel it with my left foot in the floorboard.

Lived with it about 6 months. Kinda looking to fix it...took it to a tire/alignment shop. Aligns fine, they can't find any problems...so I'm turning to the internet!

Backing out of the parking lot at work turns some heads when it pops...it's occasionally that loud.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
I know you put in new body mount bushings.. did you replace your plastic isolator pieces? I got a sheet of thicker plastic and cut out some disc to go between my body mounts and the frame instead of buying new gm ones.. also when i did the hydraulic mounts, seemed to have helped reduce my popping noise.

hw1353

Lurking...
Sep 27, 2016
I know you put in new body mount bushings.. did you replace your plastic isolator pieces? I got a sheet of thicker plastic and cut out some disc to go between my body mounts and the frame instead of buying new gm ones.. also when i did the hydraulic mounts, seemed to have helped reduce my popping noise.

No I didn't replace the isolators. I just used the upper and lower poly bushings and the washer that came with the energy suspension kit.

You're thinking it could still be the body mounts? I've placed my camera underneath the truck watching the body mount in the area I think the noise is coming from. I don't see any jolt or movement from the mount itself when it happens.

not ruling it out. I'll definitely look into it.

Last edited:

hw1353

Lurking...
Sep 27, 2016
May try and get a few better camera angles of the front suspension this weekend with my camera. Not sure how else I can troubleshoot it.

ZC-DMAX-LMM

Aug 21, 2019
No I didn't replace the isolators. I just used the upper and lower poly bushings and the washer that came with the energy suspension kit.

You're thinking it could still be the body mounts? I've placed my camera underneath the truck watching the body mount in the area I think the noise is coming from. I don't see any jolt or movement from the mount itself when it happens.

not ruling it out. I'll definitely look into it.

Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
thats steering related. get a camera by the steering box, under the inner fender watching the steering shaft and other areas by the steering linkage.

whens the last time you checked the torque on the pitman arm or the steering box bolts?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
After all of the parts were replaced did you verify they were all tight later on. I had a loose body mount give a popping noise turning right

Madspeed

Fat Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Elk Ridge Utah
Kills me to hear these stories. NOBODY in the area can solve your mystery?? FFS where are the real techs. You need a chassis ear and you will find it. Find a quality repair shop and aske them if they have a chassis ear and know how to use it. should get it within 1 hour or less. I have shitloads of high tech tools in my shop just for this reason. If you were near me Id have ya all fixed up=) GL bud

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Frame is cracked somewhere.....

Just throwing out the absurd, b/c the obvious things are apparently not the problem.

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
My ‘04 popped all the time when turning right. It was 2wd too. I could never really figure out where it was coming from. Did it since new and never got worse while I owned it.

Columbus450

Aug 24, 2017
Louisiana

^^^^^DING DING DING ^^^^^
This right here I just ran into this same issue ordered 6 Round isolators they didnt look like much but all my popping went away, it was literally my last hope.

Believe I paid about 30 bucks for the fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk