2008 Duramax Van

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
I purchased a 2008 Duramax Van with 312k miles and DPF still intact all original. I'm using is as a parts hauler and other things in-between... after owning it for nearly a year it started throwing a p0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance fault upon startup every so often, but it started and ran fine...then after a couple months of that, one day it just wouldn't start, tried it a half dozen times and it would eventually start...now it's doing that more often and won't start at all, it hits once like it wants to go and then acts like it's not even trying to fire. It was randomly getting a Crank Position Sensor Performance code sometimes when it didn't want to start. Only 2 current codes are Cam Pos Perf and glowplug #4 fault.

These vans look like a packaging nightmare, I took cam & crank sensor grounds off passenger side of block thinking they looked pretty rusty and corroded, ran once after that. I don't see any damage to the harness anywhere like it rubbed thru... Anyone have a similar issue with a van or maybe even a truck? Crank reluctor wheel is tight. Has anyone seen a sensor fail?? Shouldn't it still start with a Cam Sensor Code? On a Tech 2 while cranking it always shows "Yes" for both Cam and Crank signals!?! Can it be glitching so fast the Tech 2 can't see the missed signal?

Ship4Brains

Oct 20, 2016
MS
I purchased a 2008 Duramax Van with 312k miles and DPF still intact all original. I'm using is as a parts hauler and other things in-between... after owning it for nearly a year it started throwing a p0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance fault upon startup every so often, but it started and ran fine...then after a couple months of that, one day it just wouldn't start, tried it a half dozen times and it would eventually start...now it's doing that more often and won't start at all, it hits once like it wants to go and then acts like it's not even trying to fire. It was randomly getting a Crank Position Sensor Performance code sometimes when it didn't want to start. Only 2 current codes are Cam Pos Perf and glowplug #4 fault.

These vans look like a packaging nightmare, I took cam & crank sensor grounds off passenger side of block thinking they looked pretty rusty and corroded, ran once after that. I don't see any damage to the harness anywhere like it rubbed thru... Anyone have a similar issue with a van or maybe even a truck? Crank reluctor wheel is tight. Has anyone seen a sensor fail?? Shouldn't it still start with a Cam Sensor Code? On a Tech 2 while cranking it always shows "Yes" for both Cam and Crank signals!?! Can it be glitching so fast the Tech 2 can't see the missed signal?

I haven't seen one fail on a Dmax but my wife's 2015 suburban has had one replaced already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
....and the Van section gets another thread.....finally....since James no longer frequents the site.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
You check for moisture in the ecm connections? My LMM did this a few times, I just reseated the connections and it fired back up...

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Tore everything apart to get to cam sensor, removed old one, turned engine over and physically inspected & felt cam reluctor wheel/plate, swapped in another cam sensor...fired right up 3 times in a row, put it all back together, and won't start again...and I knew that would happen! Tech 2 is still seeing both signals while cranking, I guess my next step is to find schematics and check that voltage is what it needs to be at the sensor while cranking???

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I don't recall specifics, but are you running the xxx594 OS? The other one was supposedly a time bomb before a no start condition would pop. Was it xxx021 or something?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
Disconnected ECU, everything looked fine. Installed a previously tuned truck LMM ECU I had for spare, still no start...plugged old ECU back in same result, Tech 2 still reads "YES" to both Cam and Crank signals entire time I'm cranking...still p0341 and glowplug 4 only 2 codes...