2007 NNBS AC Issue

dieselman4224

Jul 7, 2011
NoVA
Both last summer and so far this year when weather is 80*+ my ac is not cold at all. When the truck was in the shop for other issues they looked at AC. Garage and said it was fine, pressures were good. Put dye in it and couldn’t find a leak. Truck did overheat twice last year pulling our travel trailer up the VA mountains on some slow backroads.

I haven’t heard the fan roar for a long time - not after startup, not sitting in traffic on a hot summer day, never. My question - even though the engine fan still provides some resistance when spun by hand when engine is cold, could I have a bad fan clutch?

This truck is my 6.0 gasser btw. TIA!!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
The fan clutches are known to wear out. If the truck overheated without the fan roaring, I'd wager yours is bad.

The A/C on all these vehicles is bad when stopped and idling. Even with a working fan clutch, the fan RPM is just too low at idle, IMO.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pure Diesel

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You might check how clean the cooling stack is also. If you aren't getting enough air flow through the radiator, that will also delay fan engagement.