2007 LBZ Leaf Springs

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Hello all. Need some insight here on good quality replacement or upgraded springs. A lot of good names out there like Hellwig, BDS, etc.

Our 2500HD Crew Cab short bed with 200K is sagging on the left rear. I'm more interested in quality than going cheap. Although 90% of our truck usage doesn't reach the max payload, seems like 2 - 3 times per rear we've got this truck near the bump stops so if there's a higher capacity spring or some other option for those rare heavy hauling times I would like to hear recommendations. Air bags? Heaver springs? Helper springs? Thanks in advance!

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Hello all. Need some insight here on good quality replacement or upgraded springs. A lot of good names out there like Hellwig, BDS, etc.

Our 2500HD Crew Cab short bed with 200K is sagging on the left rear. I'm more interested in quality than going cheap. Although 90% of our truck usage doesn't reach the max payload, seems like 2 - 3 times per rear we've got this truck near the bump stops so if there's a higher capacity spring or some other option for those rare heavy hauling times I would like to hear recommendations. Air bags? Heaver springs? Helper springs? Thanks in advance!

A local spring shop may be best as they can "build to suit your needs". I have been a user/fan of airbags on my 2006 CCSB (installed in 2007) as it gives the "best of both worlds". For the most part HD leaf springs are simpler and less "hassle", but you compromise on one side or the other if you run empty at times and heavy at others. I did replace a few components on my airbags (mainly the steel brackets) as the Northeast salt got to them after 10+ years. Had I been a little more diligent in cleaning and oiling, they probably would have lasted. You also have to have a way to air up when needed. Again, I love mine and glad I did, but just want you to know pros/cons...

Reactions: GoHusaberg

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Hey guys. Great advice to find a local suspension shop. I found a local shop that has done nothing but suspension repairs for decades. I had a five minute chat with the owner and he knows what he's doing. Same day service and without even seeing the truck he gave me a worst case swag of 600-800 bucks out the door to repair (maybe less) depending on the condition of the existing spring leafs. It's typically 6 hours labor. They would repair, level and add the typical upgrade of the extra leaf needed for 1K more cargo capacity and they warranty their work. So, seems like a no-brainer since GM wants $1,040.00 for a pair of stock springs and that's with me picking them up then installing myself.

NOTE: The owner's biggest piece of advice was to stay away from the internet when it comes to this topic. He said that there is nothing better than the OEM springs and they can repair and improve them almost every time. Lots of china steel knock-offs out there and it's common to order and install springs with rates that don't even match. They have fixed a lot of issues after owners buy junk quality springs online and install in their driveway. They often advise the owners to throw them away and start over.

Anyway, thanks again.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
local suspension shop advises customer to stay away from internet topics about this
subject. Internet topic advises customer to seek local shop.

something doesn't add up here 🙄