2007 lbz duramax stalled and wont start

NolanRogers

Nov 13, 2022
So, I am a 16-year-old kid, who grew up loving diesel trucks and thought it would be a great idea to get one. I bought a 2007 Silverado classic LBZ Duramax, I was driving around for about 20 minutes drove fine went into a store came back out started the truck, and drove about 20 feet, truck stalled, would crank over but wouldn't catch, popped the hood when I thought my batteries died but my terminals were lose I played with them and primed the fuel pump on the passenger side near the battery truck started loaded it about half way up on the trailer and it died again I did the same thing again but didn't get further before it died. Again as I said this is my first diesel and just wondering if one of you guys could help me out if you have had the same issue, thanks

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Did you again lose prime on the fuel filter? If so, there's probably an airleak in the fuel system.
1) You could make something to allow you to apply slight pressure into the neck of the fuel tank and then start looking for a leak in the lines to the engine.
2) The filter head may need to be rebuilt. o-ring rebuild kits are available from different vendors.

Moved to LBZ section.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
See post #2. Not sure if anyone makes one, but you can make an adapter out of a Fernco rubber plumbing cap with a valve stem that will cover/plug the fuel filler neck. This will allow you to put SLIGHT <10lbs pressure to the tank, which can show you the leak in the feed line to the engine. Depending on truck mileage, you should also look into rebuilding the filter head.
Also, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
as Tom said it is likely air getting into the fuel lines. the stock fuel system has the high pressure fuel pump suck fuel from the tank through the filter. so if there is a crack in the filter housing, loose or damaged bleed screw or failed seals on the filter/housing jt can let air in and cause the engine to not start or difficulty starting. if it's really bad then the engine can stall. fuel hoses are also a possibility but more often it's something related to the filter and it's housing. don't forget to inspect the water drain on the bottom of the filter too. they have been known to crack

a common upgrade to these trucks is to install a lift pump to pressurize the fuel system so it's not under any vacuum. this will keep air out of the lines and if there is a leak it will be easier to find. highly recommended