GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Hello folks. I have a 2007 LBZ with 200K. All stock except Banks full exhaust and intake. Looking for some info here to get me going in the right direction.

It popped a check engine light just before making a four hour trip from one property to another late Friday evening. Drove it about 4 miles on some backroads and it is stuck in second gear and the tranny temp gauge never indicated any temp at all (But not sure I ever paid attention to what it normally reads). Manual shift mode does nothing and it only indicates 2nd gear. Reverse works fine. I didn't have my code reader with me and had to jump into another vehicle to make a four hour trip home. I can't pull the codes or troubleshoot right now so I'm trying to do some research before I return to where the truck is so that I have every possible thing I need to fix it.

After looking through a bunch of threads it seems like it is likely a shift solenoid. Seems like a pretty straight forward repair but I want to gather up all the other possible parts I might need it it's something else. I was a Navy electronics guy so I can troubleshoot circuits if needed. Looks like there are some pretty easy resistance and voltage readings that can be done from the TCM to help isolate the issue. I just figured out that my scanner doesn’t read TCM codes anyway so I’ll pick up one that will but I might be able to isolate the issue without it if I had a good schematic.

Questions about parts:

• If it is a solenoid, my six speed Allison has 7 total solenoids as far as I can tell. Makes sense to me to replace them all while I’m in there unless someone here thinks that’s a waste of time and money. I don’t know what the life expectancy or failure rate it.

• If I do drop the tranny pan what else would you guys recommend while I’m in there other than the screw on filter and the shallow filter?

• Any particular brand of transmission fluid you recommend?

• Wat are the odds I have a TCM failure?

Thank you in advance. Rick (757) 214-5334 or [email protected]

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Thank you TheBac. I found a shift solenoid kit with all 7 GM OEM solenoids for $219. I also ordered a scanner that can read TCM codes. Just a bump here to see if I can get any more insight on the rest of the questions.

• If I do drop the tranny pan what else would you guys recommend while I’m in there other than the screw on filter and the shallow filter?

• Any particular brand of transmission fluid you recommend?

• What are the odds I have a TCM failure?

Thank you in advance. Rick (757) 214-5334 or [email protected]

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Mike is 100% correct, either find a parts shop/auto shop that has a better reader or buy your own (sounds like you did) before you throw parts at it.

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Thank you guys. I've got the new scanner coming tomorrow. Not sure how long these solenoids last but if one is failing it just seems like others could fail soon but I could be wrong. I'm a big fan of "while you are at it" preventive measures if I'm tearing something apart that doesn't need to come apart very often. Another piece of my problem is when I travel four hours back to the truck I will only be there a few days so not much time to get parts ordered after I run the codes.

Thanks again for your insight. Still looking for recommendations on tranny fluid. Also, how rare is a TCM failure?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thank you guys. I've got the new scanner coming tomorrow. Not sure how long these solenoids last but if one is failing it just seems like others could fail soon but I could be wrong. I'm a big fan of "while you are at it" preventive measures if I'm tearing something apart that doesn't need to come apart very often. Another piece of my problem is when I travel four hours back to the truck I will only be there a few days so not much time to get parts ordered after I run the codes.

Thanks again for your insight. Still looking for recommendations on tranny fluid. Also, how rare is a TCM failure?

So here's the thing, you have absolutely zero clue as to why the light is on. It could be solenoids, temp/pressure manifold, bad/leaking harness, wire chaffed through on the truck side, speed sensor, NSBU etc. I'm all for replacing parts preventively but you're just picking things out of thin air at this point without any sort of hard evidence as to what/where the problem lies.

If it's a stock 6spd Dex3, Dex6, TES295 certified fluids have been great. In a built trans I run Dex3 fluid from the local parts store because it's cheap and readily available.

Reactions: Pure Diesel

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Thanks Bdanskey. I like your last reply, makes sense. I think I am doing more of wishful thinking on these solenoids. I'll just be patient I guess and pull the codes first. I appreciate you guys advice. :)

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Did you try and shut off the truck and restart it? Sometimes that all it take to get it out of limp mod. Still need to check it out to find the problem. Personally I would price getting it towed home or wherever you can work on it at your leisure. Having a truck that's broke down 4 hours away wast a lot of time running around.

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Thanks Dozerboy. We did try that and no joy. We go to this property pretty often so if there ends up being a parts delay I guess it will be ok. I just hope my new scanner will give me enough details so that I'm not chasing my tail!

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Update: My new scanner pulled the four TCM codes below (one is a duplicate). I cleared them and then drove the truck all over the place and it's like it never happened. Runs and shifts perfectly. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

- P0751 "Shift solenoid A Performance/Stuck off"
- P0848 "Transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch B Circuit High"
- P0827 "Up and down shift switch circuit low"
- P0827 "Up and down shift switch circuit low"

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Install a new shifter and problem solved. They only cost about 50 bucks.
Thanks Mike L. You have been a great help on this forum and saved me some money and hassles already. I know that you know what you are talking about but for my understanding, could you please elaborate on how those codes lead to a new shifter? (I assume you mean the actual shift lever on the column) Not doubting your conclusion in any way. I'm always looking to learn and understand these types of technical problems. Thank a bunch!

GoHusaberg

2007 LBZ
Dec 20, 2020
Virginia Beach
Thanks Mike! Will do and I'll order that shifter if I can't repair the wire. We drove the truck four hours home today with 3K lbs of cargo in the bed while trailering another 7K lbs and the TCM codes have not returned. However, it did throw a random P0401 EGR code but I cleared that as well. I plan to delete the EGR stuff at some point anyway. Once we unloaded the truck we noticed the leaf springs on the left are about 1.5 inches low. Lordy! Time for new springs. The joys of keeping an old truck rolling! We will keep on replacing things as they wear out because we love the truck and she has done everything we have ever asked her to.