2006 Silverado 2500hd No movement in 2wd!

Eugenez

Sep 8, 2021
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my 2006 2500hd 4x4. The truck will barely move in 2wd, in 4wd high it drives and transmission shifts just fine.

If t/case is in 2wd and I shift to reverse my rpms rise slightly but reverse won't engage until I give it some throttle, this however makes it bang into reverse.
Also while parked in 2wd, shifting from drive or reverse back into park there is a loud grinding noise from the trans/t-case area.

None of these issues exist if I shift t-case to 4wd High or 4wd - Low

When in neutral the t-case shifts between 2wd, 4wd-H, 4wd-L without any issues.

There are no error codes on the dash, no stored codes in any of the modules.

Digging around on the forums I've found a few similar issues, all pointing towards the encoder motor.

The transfer case my truck is equipped with is a 263xhd.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I am by far no expert but I would think if the encoder motor was at fault it would give a code or at least not give you a confirmation light indicating it was in 2LO.

It sounds like possibly a range fork/selector issue, it would be interesting to put all 4 up off the ground and see if it is actually pulling on the rear at all or if when you shift into fwd you are only pulling on the front wheels.

That grinding going into park is an indication you are basically in neutral in the TC/rear end and the rotating parts in the trans are turning when you shift into park, this is not good, well none of this sounds good, you can try going into neutral for a 15-20 seconds before shifting into park but this will not guarantee the rotating parts will stop completely.

You may want to lock everything down (chalks and parking brake) and watch the driveshaft to be certain it is not a rear end issue.

Is it possible you broke one of the rear axles? were you doing anything extortionary when this occurred? The reason I ask is it might be possible that when in reverse it is the locker in the rear end locking up after reaching its axle lockup differential speed causing the big bang.

I am sure someone with allot more experience will step in here to help!

Last edited:

Eugenez

Sep 8, 2021
I am by far no expert but I would think if the encoder motor was at fault it would give a code or at least not give you a confirmation light indicating it was in 2LO.

It sounds like possibly a range fork/selector issue, it would be interesting to put all 4 up off the ground and see if it is actually pulling on the rear at all or if when you shift into fwd you are only pulling on the front wheels.

That grinding going into park is an indication you are basically in neutral in the TC/rear end and the rotating parts in the trans are turning when you shift into park, this is not good, well none of this sounds good, you can try going into neutral for a 15-20 seconds before shifting into park but this will not guarantee the rotating parts will stop completely.

You may want to lock everything down (chalks and parking brake) and watch the driveshaft to be certain it is not a rear end issue.

Is it possible you broke one of the rear axles? were you doing anything extortionary when this occurred? The reason I ask is it might be possible that when in reverse it is the locker in the rear end locking up after reaching its axle lockup differential speed causing the big bang.

I am sure someone with allot more experience will step in here to help!
As of right now I have the truck up on 4 jack stands. With the truck in 2wd & in the "drive" only the right rear wheel is spinning. My attempt of spinning the left rear wheel by hand results in the rear axle shuddering.

With the truck in 4wd Hi, all wheels except the left rear rotate.

I do recall there being a small leak from the left rear axle seal a while ago. It was a few months ago. Ended up being a few loose bolts on the axle shaft, hasn't leaked since.

Last edited:

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I sounds possible ether the diff or one of the axles is busted, with the truck in neutral and OFF try and spin each of the rear tires, if it has a broken axle it should be apparent as the good axle should at least try to spin the drive shaft, I am not sure under what circumstances are causing the shudder, but possibly the splines are stripped on that axle at the diff,
Sounds like time to pop the diff. cover, simplest way to start to get a look on what is going on, make sure to catch the fluid in a clean drain pan so you can look at what comes out, if everything looks good there then pull the left axle.

Last edited:

Eugenez

Sep 8, 2021
I sounds possible ether the diff or one of the axles is busted, with the truck in neutral of OFF try and spin each of the rear tires, if it has a broken axle it should be apparent as the good axle should at least try to spin the drive shaft, I am not sure under what circumstances are causing the shudder, but possibly the splines are stripped on that axle at the diff,
Sounds like time to pop the diff. cover, simplest way to start to get a look on what is going on, make sure to catch the fluid in a clean drain pan so you can look at what comes out, if everything looks good there then pull the left axle.
Thank you for the help man.

Just went and spun the rear wheels with the truck off & in neutral. Spinning the right rear forward or reverse engages the the diff. & driveshaft as it should under certain rpms. The same cannot be said for the left side, spinning the left rear forward doesn't engage the diff. or the driveshaft & spinning it in reverse the wheel just siezes up.

At this point I'm going to take the diff. cover off as suggested.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Do you have a hubcap over the end of the left axle? if so pull it, if those axle bolts were loose for a time they could have damaged the mounting holes and then it would be tough to keep the bolts tight.

Eugenez

Sep 8, 2021
Put a Tech 2 on it or find some one with it and do some tests. It's not the diff.
I'll have to ask around if anyone in my area has the scanner. I'm also curious why you've ruled out the rear diff. as being the culprit?

Reactions: Mogman

Eugenez

Sep 8, 2021
Do you have a hubcap over the end of the left axle? if so pull it, if those axle bolts were loose for a time they could have damaged the mounting holes and then it would be tough to keep the bolts tight.
When I noticed the leak initially I removed the hub cover, I've left it off ever since. My plans for tonight will be to remove & inspect the diff. and possibly the left rear axle shaft

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Could be you hurt something in the G80? Probably should take the cover off and inspect the carrier....

Eugenez

Sep 8, 2021
Well guys I believe I found the issue, removed the diff. cover, fluid was old but pretty clean. No metal debris, the carrier also appears to be in good shape.

Went to remove the left rear axle shaft and was surprised when only a piece of it came out.

Hopefully no more damage was caused to the drivetrain.

Attachments

• IMG_20210908_204326.jpg
    IMG_20210908_204326.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210908_204300.jpg
    IMG_20210908_204300.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20210908_204318.jpg
    IMG_20210908_204318.jpg
    403.9 KB · Views: 19

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
OK, now is it possible that truck was in an accident? that broken axle could have been caused by a bent axle tube.

EDIT, once you get the axle out you can look down the axle tube and if bent you may be able to see it, but it does not take much misalignment to cause trouble.

Unless you were doing something "extraordinary" when it happened that could also be the cause

You will need to pull the hub and clean and check the bearings, you should be able to make a lasso out of some fine wire and use it to pull the broken axle, of course clean the debris out of the axle tube.

Last edited: