2006 3500 express van turbo diesel cooling system

Darwood

Jan 15, 2021
first time on the forum and this is a long introduction but wanted all info out in the open. I've owned this truck for five years and bought it with only 40K miles knowing there must be a reason for the low mileage. I found the previous owner ran synthetic oil and I assume they treated it like a gas engine and didn't change the oil regularly because I had to replace the turbo that was gunked up beyond cleaning. Long story short, this has been a very strong work truck for me since the turbo replacement and now has 130K miles, just a baby for this engine.
I am running into coolant over flow issues and from what I have read on forums this is a common problem with these trucks. It seems to have an air lock or bubble in the system, pukes from the reservoir. I have gone through the process of burping, filling, burping to release any possible airlock best I can. Before I relaized the overflow issue I thought it was the pump, I know this replacement is a Bit#* and actually got the pump and special tools to do the job but getting no leaking from it so still not convinced. I read about the possibility of a bad head gasket and the over-pressure issue coming from the cylinder into the cooling system but not convinced about that either because I'm not getting excessive upper hose pressure. I checked the heater core and it looks great and i'm getting no smell in the cab. I have spent a lot of time under the hood observing this and also replaced the cap which brings me to my question........
Why is my cap constantly releasing pressure out of the reservoir even at very low pressure? I realized this when, with the cap installed and the truck idling, I put the overflow hose into a bottle of water and noticed a constant release of air bubbles, isn't this cap supposed to hold pressure in the system? The pressure seems very low and the upper radiator hose is not hard? I don't seem to be getting gasses from the cylinder, no smell? In idle, with the cap on and the overflow hose relasing air, the lower hose from the heater core to the reservoir constantly lets in a very small amount of air. The small hose from the top of the radiator to the reservoir is letting in foam bubbles and the reservoir level is constanly rising and falling. I took the overflow hose off the reservoir and put my finger over the outlet and all the fluctuation in the reservoir stopped, as well as the bubbles, and the reservoir sat normal. When releasing my ginger after about one minute there was not release of pressure from the tank and it went back to the fluctuation and and bubbles immediately. It seems like the cap wants to be a bit higher pressure before it releases, I realize it calls for a 15Lb cap but has anyone tried a 20Lb cap for the reservoir? If it were a head gasket leak and my finger over the overflow from the cap I would expect it to gain noticeable pressure but it does not.
Any suggestions?

kaylabryn

May 18, 2012
Mesa, AZ
By description I would lean towards confirming the presence of combustion gasses in the cooling system. Sounds like this may be the case. It does seem odd "To Me" that an 06 would have an issue with head gaskets. Maybe previous owner got it hot a couple of time compromising the gaskets. Get a combustion leak test kit, can be rented (Free) from several auto parts stores. May have to buy the fluid.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Bad head gaskets will typically have excessive hose pressure that doesn't go away after the engine is cool and will generally dirty up the coolant tank if they are run long enough to build up residue from the combustion gasses entering the cooling system, but your issue sounds more like a lack of system pressure causing the coolant to boil when the engine is worked hard (system pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant). I've had issues with aftermarket caps not sealing properly; it might be worth it to just buy a complete new reservoir and cap from GM just to eliminate any variables associated with the tank.

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
Regarding your question about a 20 lb cap, I have been running a 20 lb cap in my 2008 LMM for several years now without any problems. Are you sure your 15 lb cap is really holding 15 lbs?