2005 LLY head gasket advice

mechman3

no such thing as too fast
Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Ok it is time for my 05 to have the head gasket s replaced. The truck is stock. I am not really looking to go over 500hp. What should I do as long as it is apart?
I have a lift pump but after that where should I go? EgR delete, pcv reroute planned.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
ARP head stud kit is a must have. jmho

This, it seems silly to do all that work or pay someone to do all that work and not do it while you have it apart, its a bit of added cost, but good piece of mind, it was for me anyways, especially if you plan on keeping the truck

and your sig says it has a juice with attitude? i would ditch that and get some efi live tuning, probably just a coincidence, but my truck had one on it when the hg's popped

mechman3

Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
oh sorry I still have that o5 listed in sig but I am getting another one with the HG issue and it is a 3500. I do plan on the efi live after I get things right on the new 05. But thank you for that advice

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Creatures of the night performance or LDS has the best prices I've seen. Call them & see if they'll put a package together for all the stuff you'll need

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
I would recommend going with ARP studs as well. We carry a complete HG kit at a very competitive price. Let us know if we can help.

chandler583

F'in New Guy
Dec 30, 2014
Houston, TX
Mine went at about 124k miles. I went with the Creatures of the Night kit it has everything you need and then some. I also did the ARP studs and also replaced the FPR. I put it all together and the fuel rail pressure sensor went out, so be on the look out for that. Other than a big PIA, my truck is better than ever and I have more confidence in it.

chandler583

F'in New Guy
Dec 30, 2014
Houston, TX
^^^ that too, but I had to modify the heat shield to fit the LML manifold. There's some wiring that run in that area and I didn't want to take any chances.

mechman3

Jan 7, 2015
Saratoga Springs, Utah
Thanks for the input guys. After all said and done I went with LDS for the grade c HG kit with ARP studs, new stats, egr block off plate. I also have 2 heads with a fresh valve job and decked enroute. I also have a Kennedy lift pump going on. I will in all likely hood go with a 4" exhaust with muffler( or the wife will shoot me) I will tune with EFI. What is the advantage to the drivers side exhaust manifold? I will prolly not run this truck above 500hp. Tear down starts Monday!

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
All years previous to LML have a dent in the driver's side manifold for unnecessary clearance of the steering shaft. The dent is just before the #8 cylinder so they say the dent restricts the flow of the front 3 cylinders by ~20%. It's not going to make a noticeable difference but for the $90 it can't hurt to balance the exhaust flow.

cstephens93

Oct 13, 2014
Tallahassee, FL
Sounds about like what I went through when I did my head gaskets

I did ARP studs/bought from Creatures Of The Night (cheapest i found them)

LML Drivers side manifold....too easy NOT to do

3 inch Pro Fab downpipe

5 inch Diamond Eye full exhaust (wish i just stuck with 4 inches)

Pro Fab EGR delete tube

and I resurfaced and did a slight bowl blend port job myself on my heads