2005 Ford Explorer trans codes

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
My friend has an 05 explorer 4.0 V6 2wd with the 5R55S and it’s throwing P0775, P0735 which are for pressure control solenoid B and 5th gear incorrect ratio. Also the overdrive off light is on the dash. I haven’t had a chance to take a look at this thing as I’m building a chicken coop and already have 2 trucks disassembled in my shop. From the reading I’ve done, there’s a chance it’s a servo bore tolerance issue and not necessarily hooped. Found a guy who claims to have a modified unit that can take care of this. Any of you guys have any suggestions to diagnose this once I get into it and get it out of my shop or have ever replaced servos with ford overbore trans solutions units? I’m currently planing to drive it, check some basic stuff then drop the pan since I don’t think this even has a dip stick to check fluid and see if I find normal clutch wear or a glittery mess. I don’t mess with many fords outside basic stuff, don’t have any ford manuals for this thing, and am not sure if this would be something obvious if I pulled the servo pack or if it’s just eliminate everything else and gamble on parts on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
Same year and same trans. I had the same issues but no incorrect ratio code, so I went for it. It’s been 5 years since and all is good. At the time, I recall that if you had no incorrect rpm code, you had luck on your side... otherwise, not so much. Good luck.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Good to know. I wondered about that as the website with the oversize solenoids and other reading I’ve done didn’t have much good to say about the incorrect gear speed. That’s part of why I want to drop the pan and see if the band fork or something is laying in the bottom. I appreciate the reply as I’m not too sure what I’m getting into here, but really don’t want to put a reman trans in this thing as it’s more a favor than anything else. I’ll keep researching and update as relevant. Should get into it tomorrow afternoon.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Just to update, the explorer is exhibiting symptoms very close to things I have read. Hanging up on 1-2, slipping, other gears shifting normally, not shifting into overdrive. Dropped the pan Friday and maybe slightly more clutch material than I would like to see. Nothing glittery nor important parts in the pan. Waiting to get ahold of a person at over bore servos (AJ1E) and figure out what all to order for it.