Help: 2004 d max not starting

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
I recieved a phone call tonight from some older friends both are in their 70's who are down in the valley South Tex. they were looking for ideas as to what could be the problem.
They have a 2004 chevy ccsb duramax. while starting it everything was normal, the truck started, and after 4-5 seconds the a/c was turned on, then the truck died. no strange noises ect. The truck cranks over, but refuses to try to start. They have tryed repriming the fuel filter, but still no action. The truck has around 63 thousand miles,
Does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this? If it isn't to bad, I won't have to make a 1100 mile trip south, any ideas? thanks in advance

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
OK, some obvious stuff to try if you haven't already:
How much fuel is in it? If less than 1/3 tank, refill and try again. I've run out at "1/4" before. :confused:
Is there a check engine light? If not, does it come on when the key is on but engine off (it should)? If a CEL, then check for codes; if CEL doesn't come on at all, check fuses/wiring.
Did they check for loose water-in-fuel sensor and/or loose bleeder screw? Look for hairline cracks in the bleeder screw, that got me once, did exactly what you described. It can't hurt to replace the filter (AND O-RINGS!) while they are at it, especially if it has been a while.
If the truck has (or had) a plug-in power adder (Edge, Banks, etc.) have them check the connectors on the engine, they can get loose or dirty. That got a friend of mine once.

Well, that's all I can think of right now. Like JoshH said, check fuses too. Good luck, and post what you hear. Hopefully you won't have to make a trip.

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
Thanks for the ideas, I imagine it will be tricky trying to do this from 1100 miles but they have some help down there, and I can advise them from here on alot of it. I will let You know how it goes, and can anyone recomend a good shop in the Mission Tx. area? just in case

Dalyfarms

Jan 12, 2010
Centrailia Mo
Got lucky, the guy who tryed to prime the fuel filter didn't do it correct, he just didn't get it pumped up. anyhow we can narrow the real problem down now to losing prime, and get it taken care of thanks everyone for the ideas, and advice.

Colt

Jul 23, 2010
Check the O ring gasket on the filter. It might have rolled over when istalled to filter head and twisting. It might sound like air sucking in if you listen close after priming seen that and under the cab rubber hoses from hard lines around the 90 deg. bends rot out and loose integrity.