2004.5 white smoke issue

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
2004.5 2500hd 4” piping 5” tip afe turbo mouth piece roughly 205000 miles on the clock. Was driving around the other day and noticed white smoke after a pretty hard acceleration (freeway merging) started checking fluids… all was fine, checked upper radiator hose the next morning and it was soft to squeeze, popped the radiator cap and no pressure or air bubbles… somewhat of a diesel smell while standing 3 ish feet from exhaust. Am I looking at injectors? I’ve been told it could be glow plugs but I just believe glow plugs would cause that since they are there only to warm the engine while plugged in. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
Also did the cat retro fuel filter kit after I noticed it to see if it was a clogged fuel filter issue. No change

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
leaking injector(s). too much fuel that it's not being burned. using a bidirectional scan tool to shut off injectors and see if it clears up or lessens. then you can narrow down which ones are causing it

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
I don’t have a scan tool fancy enough to do the tests like that. Is there anything else I could visually check before dropping $4k on injectors. They can’t be that hard to do dyi right?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
injectors on the LLY are not that bad. maybe a few hours for someone not too familiar. I'd tKe it to a trusted mechanic used to working on diesels or if none in your area then the dealership who would have the tools to test them. where are you located? maybe one of the members or venders here are close by

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Agreed. First pay a reputable mechanic to diagnose concern prior to spending $4k. Don’t recommend only doing visual inspection to justify injector replacement

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
When my truck did this years ago it was an injector issue. It hung an injector and started white smoking while driving down the highway and lost power.

Easiest step will be to kill injectors one by one to see where the largest impact is to smoke then do a compression test on that hole as well.

Reactions: 2004LB7

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
There are a lot of diesel shops out here in slc utah. I just don’t know if it’s gonna hurt it to drive the 2 hours to get to them. I’m all for biting the bullet on injectors even got the wife on board with it

t.rider.013

Sep 1, 2019
IMG_3417.jpg
Looking into these ones with glow plugs. Are these good ones?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
No, god friggin no. Stay THE HELL away from Diesel Logic, Injectors Direct and Pensacola Diesel. They are bottom of the barrel garbage.

Personally I tend to run DDP or Exergy at our shop but it is hard to go wrong with DDP, Exergy, S&S, or Dan's.

Reactions: 2004LB7