2002 LB7 Fuel Leak by Cooler

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Finally finished the power steering hose & hot side intercooler pipe replacement and new shocks all the way around and upon wrapping up the rear shocks yesterday, it was noticed that the truck has sprung a fuel leak. It's leaking where the braided hose crimps to the hard line near the fuel cooler. Is this a known issue where there's upgrade parts to put back in their place (like the power steering hoses), or just cobble some new fuel hose in there with adaptors from hard line to flex hose? Really want to avoid dropping the tank or removing the bed because the tank was literally just topped off Sunday and I'm not 100% sure I'd be able to get the bed off due to a stuck "turnover ball" gooseneck hitch. What are my options?

IMG_0675.JPG
IMG_0676.JPG

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
Clean the rust off and cut the steel lines and pull the quick disconnect fittings off the cooler and run rubber lines with hose clamps. Thats how I fixed my Dads LB7.

Reactions: SmokeShow

DuramaxRamRod

Oct 11, 2014
NH
I'm sure there's a better fitting but I just put the hose on the tube with a hose clamp. Didn't want to buy new lines or replumb everything at that time.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
You can buy tube to AN fittings on summit and replace with new 3/8 braided line if you want.

This is more the route I'd been thinking of taking if it doesn't require a flaring tool or anything since I don't have one. I suppose I could buy one to have for any such occasion in the future. Always a good excuse to add some tools to the stash. (y) Then I'd just get a straight/inline pushlok fitting for tying the new hose into the existing hose.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I've used these on my truck then use regular hose ends to make up the piece. The only thing is sometimes it take a little work to get them to seal on the steel line but they will. To me they look better then rubber line. Not that anyone will be seeing them but I'm picky

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I've used these on my truck then use regular hose ends to make up the piece. The only thing is sometimes it take a little work to get them to seal on the steel line but they will. To me they look better then rubber line. Not that anyone will be seeing them but I'm picky

Digging on Summit last night and I tried to put together a setup like that but I wanted a pushlock style barb to put on that fitting and all the barbs were too little that would thread onto it. I've not bought a lot of fittings in my day. I feel like it'd be 1000x easier if I could go put my fingers on them and pick them out rather than making sure I'm putting the right combos in my cart online.

There was (1) 3/8" brass compression fitting for the tube side with a 3/8" hose barb (regular, not for push lock). But all the reviews said the bard was actually too small for 3/8" hose so thats a no-go. Bummer because that's almost exactly what I wanted.

And slightly off topic... I guess I'm a complete idiot 🤦‍♂️, but I never knew "AN", as in AN fittings, stands for Army-Navy. Mind blown 🤯 when I saw that spelled out in a description on Summit Racing.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland

You can use these too. It's easy to use the fittings I listed in the first post with a piece of nylon braided line and regular 6an straight fitting. The fittings aren't hard to make up. All you need is a couple basic tools

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY

You can use these too. It's easy to use the fittings I listed in the first post with a piece of nylon braided line and regular 6an straight fitting. The fittings aren't hard to make up. All you need is a couple basic tools

THESE hose ends?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you cut the crimp collar (being careful not to cut into the tube), the tube is already flared for the hose. You can just push new hose on and clamp it.

Reactions: 2004LB7

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I find it much easier to get on Holley's website to look for fittings. Using Jegs or Summits website can be irritating if you're looking for something specific

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I find it much easier to get on Holley's website to look for fittings. Using Jegs or Summits website can be irritating if you're looking for something specific
I agree I miss their old sites, to me they were so much easier to navigate. Half the time I can't find what I'm looking for and go on Google and search it pops right up on their sites....

turbo_bu

Mar 27, 2007
Central IL
So I looked at my 04 and noticed some pretty crusty connections down at the fuel cooler end. I am wondering how guys are either fixing those ends, or are they just replacing the cooler?

Attachments

• 20210710_114641.jpg
    20210710_114641.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 16

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
If you cut the crimp collar (being careful not to cut into the tube), the tube is already flared for the hose. You can just push new hose on and clamp it.

the crimped collar plus about 3-6” of line is crusty. The rest of the tubing looks basically new. So cutting them back a little ways from thejunction is going to be necessary.