2.8 Baby Max High Horsepower Hardware / Performance Parts

paulllyw

Sep 23, 2019
Maryland
Hello all,

I'm in the middle of a custom build that doesn't need to be on a heavy duty truck frame and am considering a 2.8 LWN as the power plant in lieu of the 75k mile duramax I bought for it. The motor is drop in ready, but to build an LBZ would "in theory" cost twice as much in parts, yes I know it will probably not be much cheaper to build an LWN since the parts are different and are new to market. My build is more of a offload/"zoom zoom" toy so losing the extra weight and space wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm also considering getting a 2.8 canyon or colorado as a daily driver. I read the Mechanic's thread on your twin turbo set up and build and it was a great read, but I was left wondering about what parts are coming to "fully build" this smaller power plant.

Since some of you are definitely in the know more than me from reading that thread and your knowledge/connections in the aftermarket arena, I'm wondering if you know how soon more performance parts are possibly going to enter the market? Searching online I'm getting very limited return results for high horsepower (/torque) parts for these engines so far. I saw Meshanic used forged rods in his build, but any idea on cast pistons (mahle or someone), girdle, duel fueler kits/increased volume fuel pumps, girdle, main caps, high hp bearings etc that are being developed and a timeline? From what I've heard so far there are reports of tuned and higher hp engines developing a crack or holes in the pistons when pushed harder. I also saw today someone posting extergy 30% over injectors, but those were individually custom alterations, so I emailed them about whether they plan to add it as an always available product. I also reached out to screaming diesel performance about whether they or anyone else has any plans to bring aftermarket high power performance mods to market soon / what types of products are in development. I understand it may be in their best interest not to share specifics of their design goals if so, but I was hoping they could provide me some insight into what to look forward to and a possible timeline. Thanks for any insight you all have and enjoy, hopefully some guys have some good insight into these questions!

-Paul

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I remember years ago Rick Lance (Profab) was talking about making some parts for the BabyMax, but Im not sure if it ever went past the idea stage.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Whatever you do and build, please start a build thread. I’d like to see this come together just for curiosity sake

paulllyw

Sep 23, 2019
Maryland
I will do a build thread of course for everyone to see (and learn from my mistakes of course). Right now obviously there are "twin turbo" kits which are actually compound turbo kits, like I've said above I've seen increased volume injectors, Head studs, and carillo rods, but if I or anyone else is going to build it for loads of power I'd want to go through and upgrade all the internals. I'm thinking that I'll probably just buy a totaled 16 colorado/canyon with the 2.8 since guys are asking $5k just for the engine no harness or trans on eBay, so it would make sense just to get the whole truck or if someone is selling a blown motor that I can rebuild I would probably go for that since I want to replace all the internals anyway. Hopefully as the supply increases the motor prices will come down, and so will aftermarket prices. Like before mentioned, in an ideal world prices for comparable parts would be half as much since you only need 4 injectors, 4 pistons etc etc.. Hopefully someone on here can get us all some more insight into what to expect. Reallllly hoping there are parts hitting the market soon to support the tunes guys are throwing at these things lol.

paulllyw

Sep 23, 2019
Maryland
All,

After some preliminary research this engine has been used for a very long time, so I will be doing some research on more aftermarket options on earlier versions and possibly even sourcing an engine that way, although I believe the head would be something I would need to change to accommodate for updates common rail fuel injectors and larger intake exh ports since some of these engines were in the 2.5L form and then. Bored to 2.8 in later applications. I’m Douting all the performance parts I want are already around, but maybe some. From some initial research these engines in the past have worn out in the borrow end so upgraded bearings are a must if I go that route probably a new crank or at the minimum a keyed one and hopefully main caps and a girdle but those are long shots.

paulllyw

Sep 23, 2019
Maryland
Research Update

Allright guys an update on what I've found so far. The minimax (i4), is actually built by VM Motori, which GM used to have a 50% ownership stake in. That said, they were bought out sometime around 2013, but they were able to hold on to manufacturing right of the A428, which is why they built the billion dollar plant in Thailand. Here's a link to wikipedia on vm motori https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VM_Motori_engines#A_428_DOHC. When you go to the A428 you can see there is quite a list of the same fundamental design. Now, Since I'm not gonna use the stock internals I'll be breaking out all the parts that should fit the engine. Not only is the A428 in a lot of other applications, but this engine is built upon from many earlier models and the only real changes were fuel system and boring size from what I can tell. In theory I think I could use an older engine and bore it out to a size that matches the high horsepower pistons that will fit, and modify the fuel system to the newer common rail system, probably could even finangle a dual fueler 6.6 system on it if it's fuel injected to make it common railed. Or even better just buy a replacement head set up for common rail newer injectors. Will keep you all posted and provide parts and links that should be compatible.