1911 insight

Robby05

Jul 25, 2014
Spokane, WA
Decided it was time to buy a new gun. Have never been able to afford a higher end 1911 until now. Looking to spend around 1000 to 1200 bucks. Anyone have any insight for a 1911 newb. This is my first one. Been eyeballing a Sig tradition reverse 2 tone

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
several years ago around "refund season" my buddy approached my to buy my Charles Daly 1911 in 45acp. Although I wasn't selling it, I decided to go ahead and throw some silly cash on top of that and buy what I think is a nice higher end 1911; STI Sentry. OMG I love the look, feel, and manners of this gun. It's also a forged frame and slide, as well as having tool steel ignition parts. The factory stippling is fantastic too. I've never regretted that decision, and if you love the 1911 like I do... you won't either! It's a favorite in my safe for sure!

Wally

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Probably get a little hate for posting it.. But my kimber 1911 has been nothing but fantastic. It's picky on ammo but it's not a glock so that's to be expected..

Don't have a pic but I'll try to get one.

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I'd go with a Springfield TRP if I got another one. Or go balls out for a Wesson, Wilson, Brown or what have you.

Honestly I'm not really high on the platform, from a pure dead reliability aspect. I shoot a 1911 extremely well but just feel like its antiquated, better guns out there, probably not a better LOOKING gun out there though:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
I like Sigs and Springfield

Bang for the buck, the Springfield Loaded is a sweet gun, so is the Rangemaster but its a few hundred more...

If you're wanting one with a rail, for a light/laser, the Sig Sauer Scorpion is pretty legit
If the rail.isn't a deal breaker...the Sig Sauer Nightmare is about as bad ass as you can get for 1150$ and its by far my favorite of the group I just named

All these listed are match grade barrel, fitted bushing, adj trigger, (ICR but pretty sure) 8rnd clip 1911 firearm with +P load rating and trijicon night sights (except the range master, it comes with trijicon rear and fiber optic front)

Last edited:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
I picked up a Remington R1 enhanced about 3 years ago. This thing is awesome. Shoots absolutely amazing. Of course I had to get a suppressor for it since it comes with a threaded barrel. It shoots any ammo I put through it, from blazer aluminum case to high end stuff, digests is all zero issue.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
Damn, suppressor n all, huh!
That is a fine firearm, Mike...I like the single dot rear sight, too...wish someone I know would buy one so I could shoot it, cuz I'm too damn cheap to rent one for 15min of fame on a firing lane when I've got a couple desirable 1911's of my own :rolleyes:

How long did you wait for that suppressor again,? think I remember you talkin about it in a post a while back...I picked up a Sig 938 scorp w/threaded barrel and haven't had the resolve (or wanted to fork out the $$$) to apply for the suppressor license and buy the damn thing, yet

cledustjones

Jan 8, 2013
Plantersville, TX
It's all your preference at this point with 1911. The frame is tried and true. They should all be within a couple of hundred dollars. I am a big Sig scorpion person in the 1911. If you go with just .45 ACP then I lean toward the FN 45 over a sig. They come with 3 clips that hold 15 and feel great. My wife can put all of the within the first 3 rings at 30 yards. So it's all you with a 1911, I would say whoever has the best sale right now.

cntry125

Gearhead
Sep 7, 2008
Wisconsin
I love my Springfield Range Officer. It is my go to pistol, shoots everything I have ran theough it and always goes bang. Mine was around 800, and I like the classic black parkerizes and wood grips look that it comes. I also have a Colt defender 3", its a great weapon, shoots well out to 50' or for me. Just wish it would have came in classic black/ wood like my RO

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I just saw an ad for colt 1911 for msrp 899$ probably a stock one. it looked good though.

Last edited:

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
Damn, suppressor n all, huh!
That is a fine firearm, Mike...I like the single dot rear sight, too...wish someone I know would buy one so I could shoot it, cuz I'm too damn cheap to rent one for 15min of fame on a firing lane when I've got a couple desirable 1911's of my own :rolleyes:

How long did you wait for that suppressor again,? think I remember you talkin about it in a post a while back...I picked up a Sig 938 scorp w/threaded barrel and haven't had the resolve (or wanted to fork out the $$$) to apply for the suppressor license and buy the damn thing, yet

It was roughly a 9 month wait from start to finish.

GMC-ya!

May 11, 2009
I'm into older military 1911a1's, however I do have a few modern ones. For the money colt is very hard to beat currently. If I were you, I'd look at either getting a colt or a Springfield. About a year ago I was on the verge of buying a sig until my best friend purchased one and his experience really turned me off along with the research that I did. for the price of a sig 1911 you'd be better off just buying a Remington or Ruger.