1500 front end durability

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
We have our little 4.8 rc/sb torn down doing some body work and putting the power parts back on. Its not going to be a power hound really, just full tube headers, a crane cam kit (unsure or lift and duration still) and a tune with maybe a bit of spray.

I have 2 questions really last time the truck was set up this way it ran great but definitely needed tuning as idling was tough, and it hesitated in flat foots at highway speed. We are putting the heavier clutch and pp back in it but how are the old 5 speeds internally? It makes a pretty good rattling noise when at low rpm and hitting reverse or first gear. Not sure what it could be.

Also how are the front ends on these trucks? Can i use the hd tie rods like we use in the dmax? Center link?

Like i said the truck isnt a power hound by any means as the 4.8 doesnt come alive till around 4k rpm. I would say 425-450 hp and we will be doing great. I have a 6.0 sitting here so while i am doing chassis work and suspension work i want to build to survive the 6.0 when properly built we should be around 550.

Everything looks similar under the truck but i want to confirm before ordering

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
We have our little 4.8 rc/sb torn down doing some body work and putting the power parts back on. Its not going to be a power hound really, just full tube headers, a crane cam kit (unsure or lift and duration still) and a tune with maybe a bit of spray.

I have 2 questions really last time the truck was set up this way it ran great but definitely needed tuning as idling was tough, and it hesitated in flat foots at highway speed. We are putting the heavier clutch and pp back in it but how are the old 5 speeds internally? It makes a pretty good rattling noise when at low rpm and hitting reverse or first gear. Not sure what it could be.

Also how are the front ends on these trucks? Can i use the hd tie rods like we use in the dmax? Center link?

Like i said the truck isnt a power hound by any means as the 4.8 doesnt come alive till around 4k rpm. I would say 425-450 hp and we will be doing great. I have a 6.0 sitting here so while i am doing chassis work and suspension work i want to build to survive the 6.0 when properly built we should be around 550.

Everything looks similar under the truck but i want to confirm before ordering

I've heard (not sure if it's true) that the 5 speed behind the 4.8s was the same as the 4.3 trucks so I would think they aren't that great..

Tie rod sleeves are the same I think, or I know rough country offers them for the 1500 trucks. I would think a centerlink brace should work from an hd truck.

You tube parish Silverado.. Not sure what they had done to the front end of that truck but I'm pretty sure it was stock half ton stuff..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
That 5 speed is junk in my opinion. I can't recall one that's made it much past 100k miles on a stock engine. The synchros go quick and I've heard of a few that have broken shifting forks while trying to speed shift it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

thunder550

Apr 2, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
My front end is stock except for tie rid sleeves. No problems. I came from the half ton world and even the big power guys generally run on stock front ends. Coming to the diesel world it was strange to me to see people breaking front end parts.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
By buddy had a regency rclb, 4.8 and he ripped third out of it. Meaning he bent a shift fork or something not actually tore the gear out. That just had headers and an cai

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks fellas. This trans has held well and now at 180k miles. Engine was mildly built before like i said. But the rattle at low rpm clutch release has me wondering what broke.

I thought it was an nv4500? So then the question is when i put the lq4 in it what trans will hold? Keep in mind this is an extreme budget truck built from left over parts and or junk yard parts. A figure a zf6 is out of the question due to parts availability now. It has to stay a hand shaker for sure and i will retain the 4wd of course so it will need to be a trans that can bolt to the 4.8 and its transfer.

Is the 6.0 5 speed any better? I figured it being gm they would use the same trans for everything?

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Thanks fellas. This trans has held well and now at 180k miles. Engine was mildly built before like i said. But the rattle at low rpm clutch release has me wondering what broke.

I thought it was an nv4500? So then the question is when i put the lq4 in it what trans will hold? Keep in mind this is an extreme budget truck built from left over parts and or junk yard parts. A figure a zf6 is out of the question due to parts availability now. It has to stay a hand shaker for sure and i will retain the 4wd of course so it will need to be a trans that can bolt to the 4.8 and its transfer.

Is the 6.0 5 speed any better? I figured it being gm they would use the same trans for everything?

I think there getrags behind the 4.8s. Don't know if the 6.0 would be different

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
The 6.0 5 speed is a different trans I'm 99% sure and Would think it would hold up 10x better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Toms link is correct and so are you fellas its a getrag. The way i read it the 6.0 is also. I think we had an old first gen cummins with the getrag 5 spd and dad got it to hold decent power and abuse but he says syncro were a pain with them.

Sooooo... Im going to go look at an nv4500 trans in a wrecked dodge 4x4. I really hoped to avoid adapter plates and head aches.

6 spds are just way too expensive for this project.

The abuse to trans wont be high horse power imo. 400-425 isnt that big of a deal the abuse will be where it makes power 5500-7000 is where the last build really made power i never went higher, i swear i could hear the valve spring cussing at me.

Almost have the first stage of the body work done, we stopped all the rust there was no rust through anywhere which is awesome. Ground it down to bare metal put rust preventer on and then bedlined the wheel arches before installing extended flares.

Stage 2 will be a repaint to victory red, but too many projects going for that now.

I need my little squirrelly truck back making decent power so i can stop beating on the duramaxes.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome for trans, i know the 10 bolt wont last long and i dont know what to replace it with 12 bolts are hens teeth

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Find a 9.5" 14 bolt. Thats what I built for my 1/2 ton project.
You can find older ones with 6 lugs, but you may have to move the spring perches to make them fit. Also, 4x4 and 2wd are different WMS lengths on those older axles. I forget which one is our trucks width.
If you find one from a newer SilveradoSS or VortecMax truck it is literally bolt in and go.
May have to shorten driveshaft a little bit, though.

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Thanks tom i wasnt even thinkin about the ss trucks. I thinks dads escalade was a 14 bolt also. I will look into it im tine with welding and drive shaft mods i just dont want to have to fab or buy adapters

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Ben as always i trust you with this stuff cuz youre kind of a mad scientist with part numbers and what not.

The info tom posted clearly states its a getrag or did i read it wrong?

How do you feel the dependability is on the 3500? Do you think i am wasting my time with a big clutch? I have no idea what the rattle is on idle clutch release is. It sounds nasty but seems to go through the gear great...

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben as always i trust you with this stuff cuz youre kind of a mad scientist with part numbers and what not.

The info tom posted clearly states its a getrag or did i read it wrong?

How do you feel the dependability is on the 3500? Do you think i am wasting my time with a big clutch? I have no idea what the rattle is on idle clutch release is. It sounds nasty but seems to go through the gear great...

The NV3500 started around 1993 in the half tons, then when the GMT-900 came out, they switched to Tremec transmission. Yes, I said GMT-900. You can still get a 2015 Silverado to this day in Mexico with a manual trans. OMG what?! 2wd only though im pretty sure.

From what Ive seen, the NV3500 is similar to an older Getrag light duty trans and shares some parts, but its still a New Venture unit with updates/changes and should not be referred to as a Getrag when servicing/ordering parts.

Ben