LMM: 09 Duramax, what fuel filter do people run?

pitbull14218

Apr 25, 2018
So, i just bought my 09 silverado 3500hd CC LB, and I need to do all the maintenance stuff to it like oil change, fuel filter, maybe even transmission filter?

Main question is what fuel filter do people recommend, the truck is stock, I tried to search but search is broke.

Secondary question, what oil/oil filter, and should I change the transmission filter, and if so which one should I use.

Thanks!

Apr 15, 2015
dallas
racor or acdelco fuel filter only

Allison spin on red trans filter only. the aftermarkets don't flow like the allisons

wix oil filter and t6 rotella or delo conventional or synthetic

Change the fuel filter first since you don't know the history. when you pull it drain the bottom of it into a jar or something to see what comes out. hopefully clean diesel.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Nothing wrong with Donaldson or Fleetguard Fuel filters either. Just don’t use a wix.

pitbull14218

Apr 25, 2018
Intersting because I thought everyone likes wix for oil filters, although we're talking fuel filters. I'm shopping on Rockauto so i'll be getting AC Delco fuel filter.

I don't see Allison transmission filters on rock auto, wheres the best place to buy them?

thx

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
When you change your tranny spin on, there is a large magnet that will be stuck to the old filter. Take it off, clean it and then put in the same place but on the new filter. If not there order one and put it in.:thumb:

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
Intersting because I thought everyone likes wix for oil filters, although we're talking fuel filters. I'm shopping on Rockauto so i'll be getting AC Delco fuel filter.

I don't see Allison transmission filters on rock auto, wheres the best place to buy them?

thx

Any vendor will sell them, dmax store sells them with the Allison oil too IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
....aaand moved into that pesky "Fluids and Maintenence" section. :hehe:

Ive got no idea what parameters you're using for searching, but there's a shitload of both oil- and fuel- filter related threads in here.

ACDelco PF2232 oil filter and Rotella 15w40 oil is what Ive used for 13 years. BUT, any good name-brand filter (not Fram) and diesel-rated 5w40 syn or 15w40 dino oil should suffice. Try to stay on 5000-10,000 mile intervals depending on truck use....unless you do oil analyses.

ACDelco TP3018 fuel filter or its equivalent is the only type I use. Try to stay away from plastic filters like the WIX one.

Use only the actual Allison spin-on trans filter. As pure-diesel said, look for the doughnut magnet on the old filter, and transfer it over to the new (after wiping it off first of course).

I only ever used Valvoline 75w-90 lube for the front/rear axles and Dex3 ATF for the Tcase.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
ACDelco oil filters is all I will ever use,
ACDelco fuel filters are now very good.
Only ever use the red Allison transmission filter dont use anything else, even the ACDelco replacement is nowhere near as good.
I used to use delo400 oil but the new oil they came out with as a replacement for the original is crap my motor sounds aweful with it and it gets black way too fast. Now I use rotella and it's awesome

pitbull14218

Apr 25, 2018
So This thread isn't performance related, its more maintenance related, I was told this is a performance only forum, so please delete this thread mods.

Thanks!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
No need to delete it we will forget about just like the other thousand that ask the same thing.

Just some life advice though. Making passive aggressive posts over you being butt hurt over some member's reaction to you makes you come off like a child. Just leave or take our advice. There is no need for this shit. It not going to change our minds. Just reaffirm you don't fit in here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk