08 LMM wont start

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
I'm thinking the gear slipped that the reluctor wheel is attached to. Sheared pin?

Remove the crank position sensor.

Turn the crank till the missing tooth gap shows up in the window. Now count 25 whole teeth as you turn the crank clockwise looking from the front.

How does the timing mark on the Dampener line up with the mark on the front cover?

How is it supposed to line up?

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
25 teeth should line up the marks. I think it is actually the trailing edge of the 25th tooth centered in the hole that marks the reluctor TDC. Anyway, you should be real close to lined up with the dampener and case marks.

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
If you do try ether (without GP's) and it runs, dont keep it running with the spray. It's dry (no lubricant)and will damage the cylinder walls with prolonged use.

Last edited:

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
Its been mentioned before but it sounds exactly like VATS to me. This is the point were the joy of an engine build turns into a total PITA. Good Luck, I know your pain.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
25 teeth should line up the marks. I think it is actually the trailing edge of the 25th tooth centered in the hole that marks the reluctor TDC. Anyway, you should be real close to lined up with the dampener and case marks.

The two marks line up.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Its been mentioned before but it sounds exactly like VATS to me. This is the point were the joy of an engine build turns into a total PITA. Good Luck, I know your pain.

You won't see white smoke with VATS problems since it shuts down the injectors. White smoke means the fuel is being injected but not lighting.

It's either mechanical (cam error, not enough compression?) or injection system. Fuel at the wrong time, wrong amount, or wrong pressure.

jneal

Feb 12, 2008
Bloomington, Indiana
You won't see white smoke with VATS problems since it shuts down the injectors. White smoke means the fuel is being injected but not lighting.

It's either mechanical (cam error, not enough compression?) or injection system. Fuel at the wrong time, wrong amount, or wrong pressure.

Oops, I completely missed the white smoke part. :eek:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA

Yea, the smoke has my attention too. Since it fires with fuel squirted into the intake and the cam has been changed. I can't get away from the cam timing being 180 off. That would mean the cam is keyed wrong. Anything but 180 off would end up with valve contact.

Wish I knew the valve-cam reluctor relationship so he could check that and put it to bed.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
who did the injectors? Do you have dual CP3's??

I find it hard to imagine you can make over 7,000psi just at cranking speed???

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Truck finally started.
Turns out that the machine shop used a puller to remove the reluctor wheel. There were only two marks on it, it was bent out of shape. Not noticeable
The Tech II couldnt read the crank signal fast enough. They used a snap on tool of some sort to read the pulses on the wire. it would pulse 36, pause, then pulse 22, and pause. On the 36th and 22nd tooth is where the puller was used.

Last edited: