08 LMM oil spec

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
I know this sounds stupid but I cannot find what the factory spec is for engine oil for the 08 LMM, numerous searches only come up with a bazillion hit on recommended oils not on factory spec oils, I did not get an owners manual with my truck.

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
No there is an industry standard that should be recommended by GM like SI-4, FA-4 CK-4 etc as a minimum required spec. just cuz it says turbo diesel oil for example does not mean it is recommended by GM, or even suitable for the Duramax

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
CJ-4 15w40
I run Rotella, never had any issues with it, but pick whichever oil you're comfortable with.

Reactions: Mogman

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
You're not running after treatment system on the h2 right? Just buy whatever C rated diesel oil you can find, don't have to worry about the "higher zddp" oils affecting the exhaust. That being said, the Dmax being a roller cam won't be picky in that aspect. The new ck oils are supposed to be backwards compatible with older engine. You're over thinking it

Mogman

May 3, 2020
Papalote, TX
Mobil 1 full synthetic diesel oil for me.
I am a little cautious about using a full synthetic, with 300K on the engine I am afraid it may start leaking, with the low oil pressure I am thinking of switching to 20W-50, being TEXAS and summer I always thought 15W-40 was a little light anyway, I think the manufactures recommend thin oil for fuel economy.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I am a little cautious about using a full synthetic, with 300K on the engine I am afraid it may start leaking, with the low oil pressure I am thinking of switching to 20W-50, being TEXAS and summer I always thought 15W-40 was a little light anyway, I think the manufactures recommend thin oil for fuel economy.

You ever looked at the factory bearing clearances? There is a reason for 15w-40.

Running a thicker oil just heats it up to a higher temp and will fall to the same viscosity and pressure as the thinner oil did before. It’s going to look like it did something till everything get hot and you are driving it for a while.

I find it odd you are looking for a specific spec for “duramax/gm rated oil” but yet you are trying to bandaid an oil pressure issue without actually diagnosing that all the way, makes no sense on a engine that could possibly already be hurt.

There are plenty of 1000hp trucks running 15w40 with good oil pressure

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I noticed my 200k+ mile LBZ was running lower oil pressure than I would like to see (hot idle was mid teens and cruising at 17-1800 was mid to upper 30s with no load at full temp) which prompted me to start running 20w50 to see if it would help. 40k miles later, the oil pressure is up (low 20s hot idle and mid 40s cruising) from what I was seeing with 15w40, and oil temps are no different. I know its a band-aid, but it seems to be working for me so far.