07 Classic Stereo Upgrade that retains OEM controls?

pjc

Jul 30, 2019
Looking to upgrade my LT3-Bose stereo. Just changing the head unit. here is what is important in order:

-Able to load Android apps
-Able to load Apple apps
-Full steering wheel button control retention
-Rear seat console control functionality

I will use this with an Internet Access Point that I leave in the truck to stream music instead of pay SiriusXM.

Your recommendations and insight are much appreciated.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I don't know about rear console retention BUT any of the quality steering wheel control adapters will keep full functionality. You may have to program the adapter BUT you can easily retain them. As for streaming music, you will have to get android based headunit to connect directly to the access point unless you want to stream from your phone to he headunit via bluetooth or wired connection.

Look at Crutchfield, they are AWESOME to deal with and have everything broken out by year/model/etc.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I have never found anything that retains the rear seat console functionality.

What I did in my Suburban is put in a TNR800 (factory navigation unit out of a Cadillac, etc.). It fully supports the rear seat controls. Though extremely hard to find, I got a PAC VCI-GM2 to add a backup camera. I also got a iSimple ISGM655 that added Bluetooth, USB, and aux in. I use my phone (though any Bluetooth audio source will work) to stream internet radio or whatever I want. While you don't get full Android Auto or Apple Car Play integration, you do retain the rear seat controls. So, for example, I can listen to Pandora while running Google Maps in the front while the rear seat listens to FM or a CD with headphones.

If you are willing/able to give up the dual-zone audio, the best bet is to get a good aftermarket head unit with Android Auto and/or Apple Car Play. This will be much cheaper than the setup I have, and will be better in every way except the loss of rear seat controls. As people are saying, any good kit will retain steering wheel controls.