03 LB7 wont start after injector and CP3 replacement

Garywm447

Apr 8, 2017
Hi, I'm new to posting. My injectors we're causing the motor to smoke so it was time to buy new ones while I was doing that I replaced the CP3 pump and adjusted the valves put it all back together and it will not start turns over but doesn't even sound like it wants to start

I have checked fuel coming from Fass fuel pump that is okay, replaced filter at primer and checked flow into and out of it, I've opened up the number 7 injector line from the rail there is fuel there. I've checked all connectors everything is connected. im at a lose as to where to go from here

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
You're sure you got ALL the connectors put back including the cam and crank sensors on the bottom passenger front of the engine?

Also check your CP3 Lines. You may have forgotten to tighten one. My truck wouldn't start because of this. Might be pushing fuel to the injectors but not holding enough pressure to start. Might could check rail pressure vs desired of you have an edge or scan tool

Garywm447

Apr 8, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, Both sensors are connected. Lines off the CP3 are tight. I adjusted the valve, if they were adjusted wrong, could that cause it not to start

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Moved to LB7 section.

Can you log rail pressure at all? Might be that new CP3 isnt developing proper pressure? Where'd it come from? What did you adjust the valves to, and what procedure did you use?

We werent there with you, so we need far more info......

Garywm447

Apr 8, 2017
I followed merchant Auto instructions. Used .012 feeler gauge. If I remember correctly, It was pretty obvious which rockers needed to to done on each side for number 1 then number 4 on TDC. CP3 is a Sportsman I bought new from Dan's Diesel Performance. Injectors are SAC 45s. I'm going to try and see if my OBDLink MX with Torque Pro will read the pressure

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
On a side note. I hope you know this but just in case. With those injectors and pulp you'll definitely need EFILive tubes to make it run properly

Garywm447

Apr 8, 2017
No codes. as far as EFI live, I was told I could run the truck with out it, but I plan on getting EFI live. I will double check the hoses. But I'm almost positive its correct.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
No codes. as far as EFI live, I was told I could run the truck with out it, but I plan on getting EFI live. I will double check the hoses. But I'm almost positive its correct.

You were told pretty much wrong. Yes the truck will run without it. But itll run like crap and economy will probably suck.

Garywm447

Apr 8, 2017
Well today I'm back at it, trying to get her started. I didn't think the injector harnesses could be installed wrong. Im going to check the continuity on them today. I had a friend come over on Monday night checked the codes, I was getting a U1800. Looking into that today also. We also could not connect to the alarm system on the ECM (If that can be done) could that be causing it not to start