01 3500 security light issue

tkerb92

Mar 21, 2020
New to the forum so hopefully this is the right spot
My truck starts and runs fine but the message center alternates between the battery symbol and security. everything else works perfect

recently my truck was down for a few months to do some body work and in the process my batteries went dead and truck had zero power. I recharged them and they work fine but I disconnected the batteries while finishing the job so they wouldn't die again.
Also the doors were removed for the body work if that is important.

I did try the reset method with turning the key but that didn't help, I think thats if the truck won't run. I also tried grounding the positive for 30+minutes to reset the computer and that also didn't work.
I have found a few threads about this but most of them are for trucks that won't stay running so hopefully someone can help solve my issue, thanks.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Try new batteries. These trucks are extremely sensitive to voltages and amps. Just because they crank your truck doesn’t mean they aren’t causing the other issues.

tkerb92

Mar 21, 2020
Try new batteries. These trucks are extremely sensitive to voltages and amps. Just because they crank your truck doesn’t mean they aren’t causing the other issues.

I have been thinking that might be part of the problem. I wish batteries weren't so expensive incase that isn't the fix

CHEZELTINE

Dec 16, 2013
BOISE, ID
My 03 was acting up as well but would start and run. After cleaning every ground on the truck, I ended up replacing batteries and all is well again. Went with O'Reilly house brand AGM, been solid for 3 years so far.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

tkerb92

Mar 21, 2020
Alright thanks. Looks like I’ll be on my way to pick up some batteries then.
I’ll post my results

CHEZELTINE

Dec 16, 2013
BOISE, ID
Alright thanks. Looks like I’ll be on my way to pick up some batteries then.

I’ll post my results
Yes, please do. I'd say at least get them tested with a carbon pile before pulling the trigger on anything. Not a fan of digital batter testers, they can't put a load on like the carbon pile.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
If you have a friend or a digital multimeter with a memory function, you can do a quick test of the batteries.

Hook the meter up to one of the batteries (or the red jump start block near the power steering pump). Start the truck. If the voltage drops below 10 volts while it is starting, the batteries are toast. The trucks will still start down to 9V (saw one wheeze to life at 8.x volts), but it pisses off all the computers. I really like to see it stay above 11.0V while cranking. New batteries will hold 11+ volts while cranking.

You could also get a scan tool and see what is causing the security & battery warning lights according to the computers.

tkerb92

Mar 21, 2020
So I got a little busy the past few days so just had time to put the batteries on the load tester.
I got 13 volts and dropped to 11 under load for both batteries. So I’m I don’t think the batteries are the problem.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
My truck as well has the security light issue and also the past couple nights randomly the truck alarm will go off. Also while driving down the road the locks will lock/unlock crazily sometimes. Are you having the same issues?

tkerb92

Mar 21, 2020
No, nothing like that.
The light just stays on while driving and everything else works perfectly.
I had to drop my truck off for inspection so I figured I’d let the shop handle it from here. I will post the outcome though

tkerb92

Mar 21, 2020
In case anyone is still wondering how I made out...
I took the truck in for inspection to a diesel performance shop and has them try to figure it out. They said the cluster wasn’t connecting to the ecm and wasn’t reading a vin at all.
They recommended I take it to a speedometer shop so I finally did that this past week and they had to reprogram my ecm which was a little pricey but it did fix it.