Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-04-2018, 04:58 PM
FNG

Default New member with mod questions

Im new here and new to the diesel game. Picking up a stock 06 duramax CCSB on 3-10-18. What mods are first? Supporting mods. It will be my tow rig for my other silverado. Im looking for longevity. Any suggestions help. Ill post pics this weekend. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:21 PM

How many miles are on truck? 2wd or 4? What is done to it currently?

Oh and
02 GMC 2500HD, EC/LB, LB7, 2wd, 6" lift, 35" tires. ds LML manifold, PPE 260 hp tune, boost valve, race plug, Airdog 165 lift pump, CAT filter mod, mechanical egt and boost gauges, SB intake, high flow turbo horn, ported turbo exhaust housing, kbd drop in wheel, Banks Bighead wastegate, egr blocked, intake heater delete, PPE downpipe, 5 " exhaust w/ cat delete, Mike L built trans w/ Goerend R converter. Levi's heat blankets

7-6-17...New headgaskets, studs, Fed heads, and LDS replacement injectors @ 202,239 Miles
Old 03-04-2018, 05:43 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Privately owned since August 2006.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:57 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerry View Post
How many miles are on truck? 2wd or 4? What is done to it currently?

Oh and
148k 4wd and wheels are the only mod. That's it.
I live in MN and im traveling to pheonix to pick it up. Already had someone look at it and drive it for me. Rust free truck.

Last edited by Kretty; 03-04-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:33 PM

For the engine............reroute the pcv, egr blocker plate with Finger stick, free flowing exhaust, good tune, lift pump, and some gauges (EGT and boost)

For the trans...........if towing alot, Mike L cooler and a deeper pan.

Transfer case............Pump rub kit

Front end.....heavy dity tie rods and inspect all steering components

Rear axle..........aftermarket diff cover for added oil capacity and cooling. Inspect gov loc while in there.

Check the lower radiator hose, there is a wiring loom or something that rubs a hole in it sometimes. Change power steering fluid (makes steering and brakes work better) use a Tech2 scanner to do an ABS bleed (you won't believe how much this can improve brake feel)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, maybe someone else will chime in.
02 GMC 2500HD, EC/LB, LB7, 2wd, 6" lift, 35" tires. ds LML manifold, PPE 260 hp tune, boost valve, race plug, Airdog 165 lift pump, CAT filter mod, mechanical egt and boost gauges, SB intake, high flow turbo horn, ported turbo exhaust housing, kbd drop in wheel, Banks Bighead wastegate, egr blocked, intake heater delete, PPE downpipe, 5 " exhaust w/ cat delete, Mike L built trans w/ Goerend R converter. Levi's heat blankets

7-6-17...New headgaskets, studs, Fed heads, and LDS replacement injectors @ 202,239 Miles

Last edited by ChrisPerry; 03-04-2018 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Add some things.....
Old 03-05-2018, 03:26 AM
FNG

Fingerstick? Can i get a tune to get rid of the codes instead?
Old 03-05-2018, 05:46 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

Yes, you can just buy an EFILive tune that'll do the same thing. Heck, some of the older handhelds had tunes with the codes removed.

You dont necessarily need the rear end cover or the deeper pan on the trans, just change your fluids on a regular schedule.
Other than that, Chris pretty much hit on the high points.

Moved this into the LBZ section of Hard Parts, as it looks like it'll become more technical than intro. Have fun with your new truck. Sounds like a good one.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 03-05-2018, 07:38 AM
Hotrodder

Welcome...

FNG asking about "mods" for an LBZ? I would leave all the emission systems in place. If you want it tuned, find a programmer from Edge or Banks that is CARB certified...
Old 03-05-2018, 08:28 AM

Thats all we're getting now is newbies with new-to-them trucks, Rob. Just the direction the site veered to b/c of Google.

We mods arent going to check every little detail on every new member just b/c of what happened to ATP. But to assure you, this guy checks out as from MN.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Hotrodder

My new AFE Momentum CAI has a CARB sticker with it , that made me so happy that now I am legal !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-05-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kretty View Post
Fingerstick? Can i get a tune to get rid of the codes instead?
Yes, the code can be tuned out. A finger stick will just keep the code from being tripped no matter what tuner you choose ( Banks, PPE, EFI live, ect. or even if you don't want to tune it immediately)

Old 03-05-2018, 01:35 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Thats all we're getting now is newbies with new-to-them trucks, Rob. Just the direction the site veered to b/c of Google.

We mods arent going to check every little detail on every new member just b/c of what happened to ATP. But to assure you, this guy checks out as from MN.
Tom, I understand but the "Search" function should be used first...
My new norm is "leave it stock"...
Old 03-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Gotcha. I feel sort of the same way.

Old 03-05-2018, 06:39 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post

Correct, i am from MN im new to the diesel part of these trucks. Ive got an 06 5.3 as well.

Thank you all for the quick and helpful replies. Asking people tends to net more results to the search button. Im no stranger to that box up there. Just wanted some quick concise replies.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:12 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerry View Post
For the engine............reroute the pcv, egr blocker plate with Finger stick, free flowing exhaust, good tune, lift pump, and some gauges (EGT and boost)

For the trans...........if towing alot, Mike L cooler and a deeper pan.

Transfer case............Pump rub kit

Front end.....heavy dity tie rods and inspect all steering components

Rear axle..........aftermarket diff cover for added oil capacity and cooling. Inspect gov loc while in there.

Check the lower radiator hose, there is a wiring loom or something that rubs a hole in it sometimes. Change power steering fluid (makes steering and brakes work better) use a Tech2 scanner to do an ABS bleed (you won't believe how much this can improve brake feel)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, maybe someone else will chime in.
Well said

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk