Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM
Gearhead

Default What tune is in my LLY?

I just got a new truck and was told a shop put a HD efi live tune in it. How can I tell what tune I have? Truck will basically be a tow rig only towing about 12k to 12.5k lb trailer.

I have torque pro so let me know what numbers would be needed to help identify the tune. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old Yesterday, 05:37 AM
Hotrodder

You would have to ask the shop who they use for tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old Yesterday, 05:40 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozerboy View Post
You would have to ask the shop who they use for tuning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I will probably do that too. Some people were talking about taking injector pressure reading and some other things to see. But I'm sure your way would be easier. I guess I just like doing things the hard way.

On another note, is it normal to loose a bit of power and rpm right before the trans shifts?

Old Yesterday, 05:44 AM
Hotrodder

Yes. They pull fuel back before shifts so there are no bindups during shifts. All dmaxes have that and you really only notice it after they have been tuned.
2011 denali gmc 5.5 lift, 35" tires, carillos, cut, coated lml pistons, hot cam 63.5 mm vgt over billet s480, fox shocks, profab manifolds and up pipes, intercooler pipes, 10mm cp3, ported heads, valve springs
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM
Gearhead

Good deal, sounds like it would "help" save the trans.

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
Heavy & Slow

You can read the various PIDs out and attempt to rebuild the tables based on that, but even staring at the limited tables you can infer from the logs, that won't tell you who built it. You can sanity check that it is sane, and get a ballpark for how much power it makes, but that's about it.

The defuel right before a shift is a good thing, it will help a stock transmission last with extra power. However, even with a smaller tune, the transmission will eventually give up the ghost with extra power. If you want to help it along, avoid any full-throttle 4 to 5 and 5 to 4 shifts. If you take it easy on those shifts, and the tune isn't too hot, the transmission could last 60-100k miles.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM
Gearhead

Gotcha. I will probably contact the prior owner to see if he can't get me some info about the tune.

Is the EFI life just the problem and interface for the computer? And you can put whoever's tune you want on it?

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
Daggum farm truck

You can get a good idea about how much power the tune makes if you look at main injection pulse width, but I'm not sure your torque app will be able to read that PID.

06 Express 2500 Duramax Van "The Dumpster"

Old Yesterday, 07:55 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshH View Post
You can get a good idea about how much power the tune makes if you look at main injection pulse width, but I'm not sure your torque app will be able to read that PID.
I think it can. Haven't driven it much besides the 6 hr drive from Florida to georgia

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM
Heavy & Slow

EFILive is a tuning package that usually refers to the software on the computer to read (log), modify (tune), and write (flash) the stock engine computer. It uses a hardware cable such as the FlashScan V2 or AutoCal to physically connect to the truck.

EFILive is probably the most popular tuning setup for Duramaxes, but there are others, including standalone/handheld tuners that can flash the truck.

Old Yesterday, 11:24 PM
LEGALLY INSANE

Pretty sure the torque app can read timing and pulse width on timing. If so, do a wide open pull and see what they are. I wouldn't want to see much more than a 1650-1700 usec pulse width at wide open, and timing much past 14-17 degrees for a tow rig(it varies by rpm). Even that can be pushing it if you're not careful. And am I reading that right, $650 for a single tow tune? I really should have been charging ALOT more.