Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-17-2018, 12:54 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
If you're going to tow, then keep it around 40-50+ hp.

Can I ask? When you already got great advice from the guys here, why did you just now go over to DP and ask the exact same question you did here?
You arent going to get a different answer there than you did here -- and if you do, I would highly recommend you not trust it.
Because he didnít like what we said ďbut it says trans safeĒ

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L. View Post
Because he will probably listen to the first person that ok's the tune and go with it.
Iíd roll with it, trans wonít limp with a slipping converter, haha.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:43 PM
Hotrodder

Wanted multiple opinions. No, I'm not just going to listen to someone who says it's okay. From all the info I got, it ain't okay for my uses.

Here's the deal I need some input on. I want to either get a switch or programmer where I can turn the truck back to stock or at least crank the power down when I have a load hooked on the rear.

I was advised to get a DSP3 switch where I can choose from stock, 40hp tow tune, and a 100hp trans safe tune.

Are these PPEI tunes compatible with this kind of switch? Or is there maybe just a programmer I can get where I can adjust the power?

Y'all can laugh and make fun all y'all want. I'm just trying to get real input on what I can do. I know not the first thing about tunes or programmers. All I know is that I damn sure want a way to turn the power down after what everyone is saying
Jeremiah 29:11

2006 Silverado 2500HD/LBZ Duramax/6 speed Allison 1000 automatic. S&B cold air intake, EGR delete, Kory Willis PPEI EFI Live 100hp tune, 4" MBRP pass through, Edge Insight CTS2

Toys:
-Majek 22 Extreme/225 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
-Sportsman KZ 240BH
Old 06-22-2018, 05:51 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
Wanted multiple opinions. No, I'm not just going to listen to someone who says it's okay. From all the info I got, it ain't okay for my uses.

Here's the deal I need some input on. I want to either get a switch or programmer where I can turn the truck back to stock or at least crank the power down when I have a load hooked on the rear.

I was advised to get a DSP3 switch where I can choose from stock, 40hp tow tune, and a 100hp trans safe tune.

Are these PPEI tunes compatible with this kind of switch? Or is there maybe just a programmer I can get where I can adjust the power?

Y'all can laugh and make fun all y'all want. I'm just trying to get real input on what I can do. I know not the first thing about tunes or programmers. All I know is that I damn sure want a way to turn the power down after what everyone is saying
This has been covered before, you can search for it.
But any power over stock will reduce the life of the transmission. Yes the trans can handle the 100hp but for how long. Yes it can handle 50hp towing, but how long. Get a transgo jr put in with mike L springs.

Now you can get a DSP5, 5 tunes. Youíll need a new tune from ppei. I personally donít like switching tuning especially with a stock transmission because it does need time to learn. But other people like being able to switch tunes.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 06-22-2018, 07:34 PM
Got Sheep?

Quote:

Your problem is you don't want to listen to who says it's not ok. There are more forums around. Check with them and when you find your answer, go with and live with it.

Tuned by Idaho Rob.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:36 AM
Gearhead

I remember my first "Trans Safe" tune....I think I was in Mike's shop in less than 60 days.

Sold: 2003 LB7 CCLB 350K miles
duramaxtuner.com Tuned, Mike L Trans, ProFab Stuff, and much more...
Old 06-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Country boy Limo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman22 View Post
I remember my first "Trans Safe" tune....I think I was in Mike's shop in less than 60 days.

SDP Built Trans w/ Goerend G billet stator
S472sx-e .87/1.0ar w/ SDP Piping
Wagler street intake
Tuned by Aaron Wiebe
Custom 80" Trac Bars by MBS Diesel
ADII 165
Full Kryptonite Front end
PPE manifolds up pipes
Special Thanks to: Scott@ SDP, Aaron Wiebe @ All In Truck Performance

Best time to date: 12.08 @ 112.58 1.76 60ft
Old 06-23-2018, 11:55 AM
FNG

In my personal opinion I don't see an issue. I towed a 16 foot enclosed trailer across the country on a 150 horse tune. Trans just went at 254k after installing a S369SXE about 2k miles ago. maybe I got lucky but thats me putting 100k miles on the truck since purchase and beating it like a red headed step child.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Duramaxx View Post
In my personal opinion I don't see an issue. I towed a 16 foot enclosed trailer across the country on a 150 horse tune. Trans just went at 254k after installing a S369SXE about 2k miles ago. maybe I got lucky but thats me putting 100k miles on the truck since purchase and beating it like a red headed step child.
You didnít get lucky, you just ainít doing it right.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:07 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
You didnít get lucky, you just ainít doing it right.

Eh maybe so. Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 03:16 PM
Hotrodder

I don't understand why y'all are trying to sell me on transmission builds. How much more can i explain this ? What is a programmer or switch where i can put the truck back on stock when towing? I don't have time nor cash for a transmission build. I'm working out of town starting next week and towing for the next 2 months. All I want is for someone to tell me an apparatus to pull the ****ing tune out of the truck with an 8,000lb rig on the rear.... This isn't a race truck. Im actually using it for what it was built for.... I know y'all like building your trucks up to hot rod them and haul ass, but that's not my objective. I'm going to talk to the shop Monday about a switch or something, im just trying to get some input in advance. If we can't figure something out of the shop im just gonna tell them to put that sob back on stock and give me my $$$ back for the tune i didn't even ask for.
Jeremiah 29:11

2006 Silverado 2500HD/LBZ Duramax/6 speed Allison 1000 automatic. S&B cold air intake, EGR delete, Kory Willis PPEI EFI Live 100hp tune, 4" MBRP pass through, Edge Insight CTS2

Toys:
-Majek 22 Extreme/225 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
-Sportsman KZ 240BH

Last edited by dk2429; 06-23-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:17 PM
FNG

Quote:
I don't understand why y'all are trying to sell me on transmission builds. How much more can i explain this ? What is a programmer or switch where i can put the truck back on stock when towing? I don't have time nor cash for a transmission build. I'm working out of town starting next week and towing for the next 2 months. All I want is for someone to tell me an apparatus to pull the ****ing tune out of the truck with an 8,000lb rig on the rear.... Will a CTS2 do what I need?

EFI live with a 20-30 horse tow tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2018, 03:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
I don't understand why y'all are trying to sell me on transmission builds. How much more can i explain this ? What is a programmer or switch where i can put the truck back on stock when towing? I don't have time nor cash for a transmission build. I'm working out of town starting next week and towing for the next 2 months. All I want is for someone to tell me an apparatus to pull the ****ing tune out of the truck with an 8,000lb rig on the rear.... This isn't a race truck. Im actually using it for what it was built for.... I know y'all like building your trucks up to hot rod them and haul ass, but that's not my objective. I'm going to talk to the shop Monday about a switch or something, im just trying to get some input in advance. If we can't figure something out of the shop im just gonna tell them to put that sob back on stock and give me my $$$ back for the tune i didn't even ask for.
You need a tune with the egr delete or you will have an engine light. Just have them install a different tune
09 lmm ccsb ltz, ATP tuning, mpi s480 over stocker, big dipper trans, 60 overs, 10mm stroker pump, ppe up pipes and manifold, banks intercooler & exhaust, airdog165, isspro guages, traction bars, the list goes on
01 lb7 red RC/LB 11.58@119 MPH, SOLD
01 lb7 Black CC/LB, SOLD
Old 06-23-2018, 04:06 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Why donít you lookup what a transgo jr is you stupid ****. Nobody is trying to sell you anything. You asked if it was safe, itís not.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 06-23-2018, 04:46 PM
Hotrodder

What you dont understand is it is not just towing that will destroy your transmission. It is the increase in HP that will do it. Towing only hastens the process.

Putting a switch or whatever you think you need to do will not save it. Your best bet is to leave it stock if you don't want to build up the transmission. If you still want extra power then go with something mild like a ~30HP tow tune and be done with it.

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm