Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-26-2018, 03:39 AM
Hotrodder

You are aware how to torque match your tcm torque control table to your pedal torque desired table in the ecm?? Look at how gm did this with the stock tunes and it will make sense, it's really straight forward.

To add more defuel, lower the values slightly in the torque control area in your tcm tune. Example; if your at 1400rpms, 8% pedal, you might be at 200ftlbs. If you go into the fuel rate table 200ftlbs might line up to be 25mm3 at 1400rpms. If you want it to defuel to 15mm3 at this time during a shift, find the torque value that 15mm3 would be and enter it into the correlating matched cell in the tcm tune. All numbers were off the top of head, not actual.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:51 AM
Gearhead

Ok. I forgot my computer today. I'll look into this tonight and see what I can figure out. Thanks for the help. Gives me a starting point
Old 04-26-2018, 11:45 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
The problem is we donít have enough tables to accurately tune the trans for shifts. There is just enough to destroy stuff but not make it work. We are missing ALOT. Most you can do is tune in shift points, make different gear starts and change tc lock up/unlock.

Op Read this post again! It not about learning how to tune the trans or how it works. We donít have the proper tables to be tuning the trans outside shift points etc.

Tuning the engine is a walk in the park compared to the trans. You pretty much canít destroy the engine in the short term by making a mistake. The trans on the other hand you can.

So if you canít pay donít play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

06 GMC 2500 CCSB SLT LBZ 4X4

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Gearhead

I guess what I'm not getting is why the previous trans tune shifted the way it did and it changed soon as I changed the tune. Of course the original tune was locked So I can't read it's it pulled it out but can't get it to open the file says I don't have the permission needed
Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylon333 View Post
I guess what I'm not getting is why the previous trans tune shifted the way it did and it changed soon as I changed the tune. Of course the original tune was locked So I can't read it's it pulled it out but can't get it to open the file says I don't have the permission needed
i think we all made that pretty clear in here as to the very possible reasons "why". it could be a shit load of different reasons but we wont be able to tell you.

My suggestion to you would be to not ask "why not" when we ask "why" or say not to do something. instead, come back with an idea of what you are trying to accomplish or explain what you are doing and trying to get as an end result. When we say dont do it, start asking if thats due to x causing y to break or another reason. take a little time to think about why we may be saying "no" or "dont" and wrap your head around it. We still may come back with short answers because you still have not done enough research. We dont like spoon feeding answers cause thats not how you learn or remember. We all went down these roads before.

you are working with a completely new platform over the cummins. ive played heavy in both cummins and dmax. Some stuff crosses right over, other stuff, not so much. The trans is something you will not be able to reference too. In stead, i suggest you start reading why we need defuel and get a grasp for it. then understand about how this is a clutch to clutch transmission and what that entails for shifting. then start going deeper and understand what are the toughest shifts to get right regardless of tuning and why. its these understandings that help you become a better tuner. That is assuming you want to "why".
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 04-26-2018, 03:40 PM
Gearhead

Understand. Honestly thought it was a simple thing to change. You see so many people turning it off or talking about turning it off any ways, that I assumed it was just a normal table but thought maybe I was over looking it. I'll just leave the truck alone and keep driving. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:56 PM
Hotrodder

I haven't messed with the LBZ much at all, but I assume it is similar to the picky LMM in areas. These guys are correct, we dont have complete access to torque control in the tcm tune. In a perfect world, what I posted above is correct, but in reality it doesnt do what it 'should' do. I learned by accident that by raising the torque based fuel values, I also increased shift defuel by quite a bit. I'm guessing the tcm follows the stock torque based fuel table in some way for defuels, so by raising those values in the ecm tune, you achieve more defuel. If that makes any sense. I dont use this for defuel, but when I discovered it, I thought with enough time, it may be accomplished. So, in short, that may be a way to increase shift defuels through the ecm tune.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:59 PM
Wound for sound

I’d have the defuel shut off and tune it like a quadzilla so the throttle flares when it shifts and let the good times roll. I’d shut off pilot injection too so it sounds more like a real diesel too.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylon333 View Post
Understand. Honestly thought it was a simple thing to change. You see so many people turning it off or talking about turning it off any ways, that I assumed it was just a normal table but thought maybe I was over looking it. I'll just leave the truck alone and keep driving. Thanks for the help.
IMO Most people don't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

These views expressed on this post are not my own, but rather randomly generated computer gibberish, and in no way should be used to judge the author's IQ or mental health.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:48 AM
I like red

When I first bought my red truck, it had a DSP5 tune in it, ran like crap and acted like it have very little to no defuel. Everytime I drive at a slow speed, it would actually bang from 1st to 2nd. I knew it was a tuning issue, not a transmission issue. What I did was changed it to a single tune with my own tuning and left the defuel alone. Drive it for a week normally and agressive at whenever I get on the highway. Then drove in tow/haul for a week with my normal driving routine from work and back. The issue improved drastically and shifted much better. Sometimes you have to stop changing the tunes so many times, it'll have the transmission confused and keep making adjustments to the point where you'll think there's something wrong. My truck had 160k on the clock when I picked it up. Now it has 190k and it shifts flawless besides the occasional torque converter shudder from getting on it too hard. Personally, I feel stock defuel is the best, the only thing you'll need to do is change the shift points.

RIP 4/1/17
06 LLY CCSB
Old 04-27-2018, 07:03 AM
Hotrodder

Good point switch tunes a lot will make the trans very confused and not shits well. It will cause more wear too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk