Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM
Jacob

What's the average ball park price for labor when replacing broken pistons?
Old 05-14-2017, 02:07 PM
misspeelleerr

Is the shop charging book rate or actual wench time? Most shops run 65-80 an hour pending location
99 FL60 8.3 12v 13sp
Quote:
smooth seas never made a skillfull salior
Old 05-14-2017, 04:12 PM
Hotrodder

Dvierra 86 remember your post #46 ,take a brake for a couple years ,get your life in order ! We will still be here ,unless we are insane by then. You dont need that 600 to 700 rwhp right now,like your post #5 says ,you may want it but you dont need it. Prioritize !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 05-14-2017, 04:31 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqued2dmax View Post
Go to a reputable auto recycler find a stock 150000mi eng with 30 day warranty,can your tuner ,drive to work. Very sorry to see what happened ,there is one thing you should know about this building truck stuff there are about three types of people that do it ,one is the person that is well off two is the person that dose it as a tax write off , three the single person with no children to support, that spends every dime on the truck. O the crazy person that dosent care about there family, you are not one of those! GOOD LUCK!

That's a crock of shit. I don't fall into any of those categories and still built my truck.

Anyone can build one of these trucks, it just about being smart about it and knowing what you can and can't get away with as well as sticking to what you build it for.

It's funny how everyone forgets about what older builds got away with and think you MUST have the latest and greatest to make an engine last. $20k engines can fail just like a $10k. It's not all about the hard parts
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Billy The Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
That's a crock of shit. I don't fall into any of those categories and still built my truck.

Anyone can build one of these trucks, it just about being smart about it and knowing what you can and can't get away with as well as sticking to what you build it for.

It's funny how everyone forgets about what older builds got away with and think you MUST have the latest and greatest to make an engine last. $20k engines can fail just like a $10k. It's not all about the hard parts
Well put James
Tuned by Unleashed Duramax Tuning
Crenshaw Ranch, LLC. 8LB7s, 7LLYs, 1LBZ , 2LMMs, 1L5P
Thanks to Evan@Limitless and AJ Hynick aka IOWA LLY
Old 05-14-2017, 05:39 PM
Drag racer wannabe

Quote:

Yep, completely agree
2007 lmm: kryptonite front end, full billet trans by Sdp, SoCal engine ovals and Carrillos, 12mm exergy stroker, 100 over exergy injectors, sdp billet 68mm over billet 480, awesome tuning from Aaron at All in trucks.
Best 1/4 to date: 11.06 at 127 in the chase for 10ís.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:41 PM
Wound for sound

Quote:

This is very true, but it's hard to find a good builder in some areas. And not everyone is as good (or lucky) as you James, lol.

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
This is very true, but it's hard to find a good builder in some areas. And not everyone is as good (or lucky) as you James, lol.

Hey I hauled mine off to guy and had him machine it. I just assembled and I knew 1/3 of what I know now in assembling one of these. I took it somewhere knowing they would take the care and time to spec the engine out and machine it right to make assembly go together well. I would always recommend you have knowledge about how an engine works and how to put one together properly but having a machine shop you can trust is an extreme help. Plus the extra cost for him wouldn't have broke the budget. No machine shop is 100% perfect and having a second set of eyes go over everything will not hurt but the way I did it years ago is something guys in the gas world had done for years.
James

02 LL7 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4
Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Making Chips

Hell im riding around like a broke ass bitch, but I got a badass truck

LB7 ECSB 4X4

Thanks to Evan@Limitless, Mark@Danville Performance, Josh Harris@Top Notch, and Corbin(crussel)
Old 05-14-2017, 06:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Go to a reputable auto recycler find a stock 150000mi eng with 30 day warranty,can your tuner ,drive to work. Very sorry to see what happened ,there is one thing you should know about this building truck stuff there are about three types of people that do it ,one is the person that is well off two is the person that dose it as a tax write off , three the single person with no children to support, that spends every dime on the truck. O the crazy person that dosent care about there family, you are not one of those! GOOD LUCK!

you are correct sir. I've got another method of transportation so truck can sit if needed but I'm lucky I have friends are both type 1 and two haha and they can't work on vehicles or have the knowledge like I do. So I get paid by them to work on their stuff which then allows me to fix mine. I'm going to have a local machine shop bore and hone and key crank then friend is supplying pistons for me as a trade and then I'll parts warranty my top end gaskets as I just did the heads at a shop 1200 miles ago and I currently have two factory overbore caskets from gm that were giving to me. And taking the 230 tune and prob turn it down to 150-180 and run it.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:23 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Quote:
You have no damn clue what you are talking about, you know that?

Quote:

Couldnt have said it any better, James. This hobby/sport is now full of "followers" who just repeat what they hear/read and never think, not "leaders" who actually understand WHY and HOW things work they way they do and explore new avenues or try themselves.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)

Last edited by TheBac; 05-14-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Hotrodder

Dvierra 86 Sounds like you have came up with a plan that will work for you, within your budget , thats great. I hope the build works out well for you ! Good luck in the future .
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 05-14-2017, 09:06 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Dvierra 86 Sounds like you have came up with a plan that will work for you, within your budget , thats great. I hope the build works out well for you ! Good luck in the future .

Thank you ! Gonna run the mahle cast performance pistons and not the fingers and save the $600

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Hotrodder

Its great to see a young man getting his life in order,Im almost 70 retired military ,but when I was younger I was just like my post #59 the 3rd and 4th guy.All i could think about was my funny car ,building engs in the driveway,polishing 671 superchargers on kitchen table,so she left with our child . Every things good now but I just dont want anything bad to happen to a hard working man like you! Keep us informed of your progress.Good luck!
Old 05-15-2017, 09:11 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Its great to see a young man getting his life in order,Im almost 70 retired military ,but when I was younger I was just like my post #59 the 3rd and 4th guy.All i could think about was my funny car ,building engs in the driveway,polishing 671 superchargers on kitchen table,so she left with our child . Every things good now but I just dont want anything bad to happen to a hard working man like you! Keep us informed of your progress.Good luck!

Thanks. I'm just a few hours from socal diesel and I'm gonna take my shortblock to them and get it all ready and I'll assemble it at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk