Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-27-2019, 12:55 AM
Hotrodder

Default bored at work

Ive thought about the different intake manifolds that are out there for the duramaxs because just about anything has to be better than the stock design in a performance application, but my question is if you wanted to make an intake out of alum how thick of material would you need to hold the boost that some of these trucks make??

2002 lb7 cc/sb afe stage 2 intake, MBRP 5in exhaust, airdog-165, efi live tuned by dans diesel performance, tie rod sleeves, stage 4 trans by mike l
Old 09-27-2019, 12:34 PM
xgmtech

i would think you could make it as thin as the boost tubes? probably would want the sealing surface that bolts to the heads around 3/16. just my thoughts never built one.

06 lbz ec/sb. stock motor, Danville 4094s2r, built trans by me, limitless 1078 converter, 60% sticks, S&S 12mm pump. dyno tuned by mark @ Danville. 775hp 1383ftlb

best so far. 11.440 @ 118.12 1.623 60ft

06 lbz rc/fb dually work truck. Danville tuned
Old 09-27-2019, 12:57 PM
Shits broke

If it was round I would agree. If there’s corners it’ll need to be thicker. Honestly I don’t think the intake is restrictive. Now the exhaust side needs a lot of work

Thanks to Mike L, SoCal Diesel, and Abel Chevorlet.

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 09-27-2019, 01:41 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmduramax View Post
If it was round I would agree. If thereís corners itíll need to be thicker. Honestly I donít think the intake is restrictive. Now the exhaust side needs a lot of work
I feel like in a full race or puling truck though there would be better options

2002 lb7 cc/sb afe stage 2 intake, MBRP 5in exhaust, airdog-165, efi live tuned by dans diesel performance, tie rod sleeves, stage 4 trans by mike l
Old 09-27-2019, 01:55 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ilduramax View Post
We have better options, like the Wagler intake setup. SoCal also mills the intake clamshell area if you choose that service. The factory clamshells aren't a limitation IMO.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 09-27-2019, 02:08 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ilduramax View Post
Maybe if youíre running aftermarket heads

Tailgate Crew Member #1
Old 09-27-2019, 02:50 PM
Hotrodder

Why don't gas outfits settle for well-ported clam shell intakes then? Are they pushing that much more CFM through their air pumps (engines) compared to us/diesels that they reap the benefits of those intakes like the Holley EFI one for the LS engines or that rad one from NRE for their big power builds? Why don't we see more intakes for the V8 diesels that resemble those style of gasser intakes?

SOLD02 Chevy 2500HD D/A EC SB LS
SCIII & X-Case brace by MA, Team Salad tuning & Trippin's DSP5, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Fumoto Valve, partially debadged, Rhino Bed Liner, SuperDiesel Intake Manifold and Ported Turbo Inlet

1983 GMC K30 CC SHORT BED
Awaiting Dmax/Allison Chassis Swap

Old 09-27-2019, 02:59 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeShow View Post
Why don't gas outfits settle for well-ported clam shell intakes then? Are they pushing that much more CFM through their air pumps (engines) compared to us/diesels that they reap the benefits of those intakes like the Holley EFI one for the LS engines or that rad one from NRE for their big power builds? Why don't we see more intakes for the V8 diesels that resemble those style of gasser intakes?

kind of my thought I know in serious race engines they mess with runner length/volume/velocity
not knocking anything that is out there but thinking out loud I like to fabricate and have some background in race engines and have thought about building something for my s10 repower

Old 09-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Why do I keep doing this?

Boosted application is different than naturally aspirated.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy

Marlene (Molly) Bacon -- 1936 - 2019 -- RIP Mom You're already missed, at home and on the piano.

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.
Reality is a matter of perspective.
This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.
"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 09-27-2019, 03:28 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
I donít think itís as important on a boosted application, especially those like race Diesel engines pushing over 100psi of boost. Could we benefit from a runner style but I donít think the gains are massive.
-Tuned by Zach @ Starlite
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR Gen 4 S480/96/1.10 T6 w/V2 Race Cover, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend Q Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD & Beans Sumps, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Tuned by Starlite
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old 09-27-2019, 03:35 PM
Shits broke

Quote:
Because they donít fit with a turbo and cp3 in the valley. Banks has a decent option. When youíre making 1500hp I would consider changing the intake if you had the room and enjoy your 15hp gain. Mark went from stock heads to wagler heads IIRC and picked up something like 80hp at the tires. The clamshells are not a limitation unless you spend 8k on heads

Tailgate Crew Member #1