Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 06-05-2018, 05:02 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tothemax View Post
you can take the starter out and use a flash light and a pray bar to see if the ring gear moves side to side. there is usually a lot of iron rust dust when there broken
Okay sounds easy enough

If it is shot, can I replace it with a single mass and keep what ever clutch is in there now? Current clutch is coming up on 100k but feels fine to my foot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
Because they are weeping fuel all the time, not just on the compression stroke.

Check the DMF, maybe that's it. I'm not very familiar with the manual trucks, so that could well be the issue.

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk
Oh that makes sense.

Neither am I. Just trying to learn, appreciate everyone’s input so far.

Plans:
KP D60 front, ORD leafs front/rear, Twin Stick NP205, 4.56 gearing locked rear, PSC steering/hydro assist , 37"s on H1 wheels, Titan or Aerotank replacement

SAC45% Injectors, SB SD clutch, Kennedy pump and filter heads, S&B intake, ProFab up/down pipe, manifolds, Mild Tune from Rob
Old 06-06-2018, 08:49 AM
Wound for sound

Quote:
Your balance rates look OK, but the warning sign is the main fuel rate is only 4.6mm³. It should be almost double that for a stock tune, I believe. What that means is your injector are all in similar condition (balance rates tell how uniform injectors are), but overall condition is poor. They all appear to be weeping fuel, and the computer is compensating by reducing the desired fuel amount.

My numbers come from an automatic in neutral. The ZF6 might have less parasitic loss in neutral, but I wouldn't think half. I think worn injectors are your problem here.
What should main injection rate be?

The Blessed Hellride- 08' White GMC Sierra SLT CC/SB,
100k miles. Piston eater.

Wife's ride- 2016 Pearl white Legacy limited 3.6R

Rig ride/new DD-02' Black Eddie Bauer explorer 4.6, -180k, still sporting original trans, outlasted two Duramaxs.
Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVRigrat05 View Post
What should main injection rate be?
For a LB7 with the Allison (what I am familiar with) I believe it is 8-10 mm³ in neutral, and 10-13 mm³ in drive. I would imagine a ZF6 truck would be similar to an Allison in neutral, maybe a hair lower. These are all with the A/C off, on the stock tune. And I am just going from memory. But 4.6 mm³ is quite a bit low for sure.

Newer engines might be different, and adjusting the timing and fuel pressure at idle throws those numbers off. What I like to do on aftermarket injectors is after getting the tune dialed in pretty close, write down the fuel rate in park and drive, then use that as the baseline for future checks. The big thing is if the main rate goes down over time, the injectors are weeping extra fuel or hanging open. If it goes up over time, there is extra load on the engine or combustion efficiency is going down (injectors not opening right, lower compression, etc).

Old 06-07-2018, 07:24 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
For a LB7 with the Allison (what I am familiar with) I believe it is 8-10 mm³ in neutral, and 10-13 mm³ in drive. I would imagine a ZF6 truck would be similar to an Allison in neutral, maybe a hair lower. These are all with the A/C off, on the stock tune. And I am just going from memory. But 4.6 mm³ is quite a bit low for sure.

Newer engines might be different, and adjusting the timing and fuel pressure at idle throws those numbers off. What I like to do on aftermarket injectors is after getting the tune dialed in pretty close, write down the fuel rate in park and drive, then use that as the baseline for future checks. The big thing is if the main rate goes down over time, the injectors are weeping extra fuel or hanging open. If it goes up over time, there is extra load on the engine or combustion efficiency is going down (injectors not opening right, lower compression, etc).
What are the symptoms of air being introduced into the fuel lines?

When I did my FPR the rubber lines at the fuel distribution block right there were pretty crusty and cracked, I tried using some tubing from the parts store to replace them but the bends were too tight. I’ve since ordered the correct AC Delco replacements, as well as the two rubber lines at the filter head. I just haven’t had time to tear into it and replace them. I also don’t have a lift pump yet. These are high on my priority list but just haven’t gotten to it

Plans:
KP D60 front, ORD leafs front/rear, Twin Stick NP205, 4.56 gearing locked rear, PSC steering/hydro assist , 37"s on H1 wheels, Titan or Aerotank replacement

SAC45% Injectors, SB SD clutch, Kennedy pump and filter heads, S&B intake, ProFab up/down pipe, manifolds, Mild Tune from Rob
Old 06-07-2018, 09:39 AM
Heavy & Slow

Generally air in the lines will cause issues building rail pressure, and if bad enough can effect the idle. If there is that much air, it shouldn't drive well at all, it would fall on its face when you gave it throttle on the road.

Fixing the lines is a good idea regardless. But I don't think that's the main issue causing this. You'll find out, I suppose.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:59 AM
Gearhead

Quote:
Generally air in the lines will cause issues building rail pressure, and if bad enough can effect the idle. If there is that much air, it shouldn't drive well at all, it would fall on its face when you gave it throttle on the road.

Fixing the lines is a good idea regardless. But I don't think that's the main issue causing this. You'll find out, I suppose.
I think you’re right, I was just curious. It does seem to run well on the freeway and streets, it feels like it pulls as strong as a stock truck should.

Plans: