Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator1 View Post
The OP's method is basically like unplugging the FPR, which is said to force it wide open. I know it works on cummins, but have not tried it on the duramax. I ASSume it would be the same.
yes it is the same,well kinda,it still needs power to force it wide open.

i also watched rail pressure,it does work!

madmatt= no its not a short to ground! when you kill the ground it forces it to go wide open! the ecm works the fpr off of the ground.

JoshH= It will go wide open if you cut the ground, but it will more than likely also throw a code that will cause the ECM to default to full rail pressure until it is reset.
i didnt check for a code,but the driver was told to only flip the switch when he went WFO

Redbowties88= if your reg is already going wide open then their is no need to do this mod! also your truck will sound like crap,and have a lopy idle if you unplug it! yeah the lopy idle will sound good but to me i just wouldnt do it! my 2 cents on that one

MMLMM= yeah with duel fuelers,i WOULD NOT DO THIS!

GUYS WHEN I GET TO A SCANNER I WILL POST THE WIRING DIAGRAM
its cheap and easy mod to do,you will also need a race valve in the rail as well but that should be a duh! and plz only use this at the track and not for smoke!!

any more ?? just ask!
down pipe,headers,up pipes,egr removed,locker front and rear,ats tranny,7" bull hauler stacks,custom 3" intercooler tubes,3" intake bridge,lots of polished parts 45% over injectors,head studs,LBZ turbo intake mod,custom 4" air intake with k/n filter,heads ported and polished by ME!,custom solid motor mounts,built cp3 pump from diesel injection

Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM
Hotrodder

wanted to add one more thing just so you know it works we have a stock cp3 and we have 45 over sticks,and running 3200 PW and no low rail pressure codes,when were pulling
down pipe,headers,up pipes,egr removed,locker front and rear,ats tranny,7" bull hauler stacks,custom 3" intercooler tubes,3" intake bridge,lots of polished parts 45% over injectors,head studs,LBZ turbo intake mod,custom 4" air intake with k/n filter,heads ported and polished by ME!,custom solid motor mounts,built cp3 pump from diesel injection

Old 12-17-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm officially done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttymaxx View Post
wanted to add one more thing just so you know it works we have a stock cp3 and we have 45 over sticks,and running 3200 PW and no low rail pressure codes,when were pulling
May not throw a rail code but what actual rail pressure are you logging?

Thanks to Fleece, Blackout Performance, Genes Machine Shop, Tim, Bullfrog, Simon, Mark Broviak .......

Remote mount turbo, Electric Water Pump, Cheetah turbo - Member #1
Old 12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05smoker View Post
May not throw a rail code but what actual rail pressure are you logging?

logging actual rail pressure i will check my log file this weekend,and get you some numbers,and if dont for get i will post it up as well. it really helped our truck,i think. but to each his own

Old 12-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm officially done!

Quote:
logging actual rail pressure i will check my log file this weekend,and get you some numbers,and if dont for get i will post it up as well. it really helped our truck,i think. but to each his own
I'm not denying it helped. Just curious what kind of rail pressure you are seeing.

We had an inadvertent wfo switch on our puller the last pull of 09 with dual pumps. Cost us 3 injector bodies. We couldn't figure out why it was going wide open and it was the fuse running the dual pump controller.

Thanks to Fleece, Blackout Performance, Genes Machine Shop, Tim, Bullfrog, Simon, Mark Broviak .......

Remote mount turbo, Electric Water Pump, Cheetah turbo - Member #1
Old 12-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Hotrodder

Very curious to see the logs too...

Also Im not sure on rest but on LMM, when you command this much pressure at idle, it idles fine, just a shit ton of rattle (obviously).

Another option, What are you actually commanding in your tune? I would think a safer alt. would be to command full open in the tune. I wouldnt think a switch is needed to fully open the FPR...

Not knocking anything, just asking if you have seen different??

I may try this out and see what can come of it, for shits and grins basically. lol
Plus Im a fan of over-ride switches lmao!

2002 LB7 EC/SB
Fleece Cheetah, ARPs, LBZ CP3, Built Allison, AirDog 165, Tap Shifter, EFI Live Custom Tuning By Me, Lowering Shackles,
Original Toyo Proxies on 20" XD Spy's, S&B Intake, MagnaFlow DP & 4", and a few other gadgets and appearance mods
Old 12-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Big Dooley

What if you were to use efilive programable output of your ecm to energize a relay to cut out on WOT. No switch needed, and if you disable the code it should drop off once you let out of it. Now i dont have efi live so I have no clue if that will work, but in theroy it sounds good.
2004 GMC 2500 Yukon XL Quadrasteer 6.0
2003 GMC 1500 Yukon XL
Old 12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Finally underway !!!!!

Quote:
ok some one told me this a few weeks ago,and then i tryed it on our pulling truck. on our pulling truck were running 45 over sticks,and a stock cp3.
now i dont know if any one has posted this already looked around and didnt see it any where,so im going to post it up!

ok i call this the WFO SWITCH FOR THE FPR
what this switch will do,max out the stock cp3 "wide open"
in other words it will let the stock cp3 push everything it can push.
now i didnt use a moded FPR,but i woudl think that if one did it woudl flow a little more fuel. the fpr works off of the ground,on all trucks so the ecm pulses the ground to acheve the right rail pressure.
when the FPR gets power its open all the time.

this is how its done,
you have two wires coming off the FPR one is yellow and the other is purple/white.

yellow= ground
purple/white= 12v +

step#1
take the yellow wire cut it!! yes i said to cut it!!
step#2
now splice longer leads on both wires,so you can run it in the cab of the truck.
step#3
get you a on/off switch,take both wires and hook it to the on/off switch.
mount the switch where ever you want it. and your done.

step#4
how to use the switch,
when the switch is ON the ecm can control the rail pressure
when the switch is OFF the rail pressure will incress

hope this helps some of you guys running around with bigger sticks,and stock cp3
I posted about his a few weeks back on this site. I just didnt post the "details"

For any one else the simple reason why it works is the ecm aply's current to hold the regulator shut , not push it open , it does not need power or ground to go wide open just lack of either to make sure there is no current on the coil . I dont use this on my truck or have even tested it but it is cheap insurance to make sure you are getting the max amount . On an LB7 it wont even pop a code unless the actual and desired vary by a large amount , if it was me i would use a hobs switch for this setup.
01 DMAX 2500 HD = Extreme Prejudice -> EPR Triple turbo Kit, EPR Allison Transmission, Aria's Forded Pistons, Howards Xbeam Rods , Built Engine, Ported Heads , Stage 2 cam, and Gorilla Girdle all by Randy's Engine And Machine , PPE Dual CP3's with 120% stroker pump , DDP 47LMP Injectors , 2-BD Diesel 165 GPH lift pumps , Frozen Boost W/A Cooler , 4link with coil overs at every corner , and a bunch of stuff I am probably forgetting.

9.87 @ 143.56, DA=6550

www.extremeprejudiceracing.com

2001 GMC CC/LB "The tow rig" , EPR Triple Turbo's EPR Trans , EFI live , RDL Headers and mouth peice, 305/55 R20 Coopers , 5" exhaust .

Last edited by TrentNell; 12-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 02:51 PM
16's, but i keep em clean

I have done this a few months back but have not taken it to the track yet, maybe after christmast. dont hit the switch at idle it sounds like sh!t. I have not loged it but on the street you can tell a little. My pump is stock with 100k on it
2001 lb7, suncoast IV-1057 by Inglewood, JMK hidden traction bars and bump stop relocate kit, JMK S/S tie rod sleeves,QA1's, modded waste gate, EFI live ,JMK stinger exhaust, Aeromotive tsunami fuel pump , stock charger 12.71 @ 107mph
2005 lly ccsb 4x4 white all stock with a small tune.soo fresh and soo clean clean
2002 lb7 ecsb 4x4 white needs injectors and fix trans
sheet metal workers local 104
Old 12-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
madmatt= no its not a short to ground! when you kill the ground it forces it to go wide open! the ecm works the fpr off of the ground.
I realize that now,, I read what chevy1925 added and thought he had just highlighted what you had typed,, i didn't catch he had changed the type since i didn't scroll up enough lol.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:23 PM
Cut your ride, sissy!

Ive unpluged my FPR at idle to test for a hi-psi fuel leak a few times. It was the easiest way at the time to max the RP out. Found my leaks too

I can vouch for it sounding like hell! Mine with a lightly modded CP3 and modded FPR on 50% sticks, boy she was clatterin and shakin! It sounded bad in both sense of the word! Like it may break at any second and the meanest diesel ive ever heard like it had a Mt Everest cam!
Coolingmist Stage2 M/W, TTS fuel pick-up, S&B intake, 6" exh, In-cab boost control

50% ExtrudeHone nozzles, Modded CP3, MytNasty Tuned
Summit Billet LP, Intake Heater Delete EFILive V2
LOWERED,Hehehe TEAM BORROWED TIME, Member #12
Ghostly Lucky #13

Newest DD: 87' M-B 300D W124 OM603 3.0L 12v SOHC I-6, Stock turbo. Just cranked ALDA and a gutted kitty. Reasonably quick and bone stock! Future plans: OM606 24v I-6, big turbo, DervTuning 7.5mm Bosch M-pump, exhaust, 5spd, intercooler, fab'd intake, Some cosmetic work. Diesel isn't just a fuel, its a way of life...
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 AM
That's better

Superdiesel cp3s where setup like that years back

Used a Hobbs switch and complete bypass on the regulator
I was going to use the dsp output to trigger it but my rail holds pretty decent
SOLD
05 CC/LB 4X4
SOLD
Abby 01 RC/LB 10.28@144mph
SOLD
Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Hotrodder

im going to try and log it to night,my lap top died when i log it last time,and this mod is very bad for a duel set up.

yes you can use efi live to chang this in the tune,but i know some guys out their dont have efi live,or even need a tunner like that,just thought it mite help thats all.
and its a good mod for a pulling truck,if you have any doughts about it not getting everything it can

Closed Thread