Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 09-25-2018, 09:11 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
First off, Welcome!

Second, whats the budget you have to work with? Makes a big difference on what most will recommend

10k. But that includes fixing whatever caused the engine to blow which could be an injector?

So if I'm at 3500 in machining and assemble, 3500 on rods and pistons, 500 on a balancer, and 600 on head bolts I'm at 8100 and that doesn't include incidentals. I want to build to a reliable (within reason) 650hp. For instance I "know" (at least from what I've read) that I'm not doing a crank or an AF cam as that would be overkill. What I don't know is fingers really worth an additional $450 if I'm only building to 650hp?

I do however want to spend on internals now for the obvious reasons VS externals like turbos and injectors since I can more easily go back to those when I have more funds.

Thanks,

Casey
Old 09-25-2018, 09:19 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy1925 View Post
Depends on how big of an injector you go. Some will be ok, others not so much. Bigger cp3 can be done down the road but you may not hit your hp goal depending on turbo/s choice

The 650HP is an eventual goal. For now I just want to make sure I'm building the engine to reliably handle it.

Did you use Larry's for your builds?
Old 09-25-2018, 09:58 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop Special View Post
10k. But that includes fixing whatever caused the engine to blow which could be an injector?

So if I'm at 3500 in machining and assemble, 3500 on rods and pistons, 500 on a balancer, and 600 on head bolts I'm at 8100 and that doesn't include incidentals. I want to build to a reliable (within reason) 650hp. For instance I "know" (at least from what I've read) that I'm not doing a crank or an AF cam as that would be overkill. What I don't know is fingers really worth an additional $450 if I'm only building to 650hp?

I do however want to spend on internals now for the obvious reasons VS externals like turbos and injectors since I can more easily go back to those when I have more funds.

Thanks,

Casey
Id skip the balancer and do fingers ovals and wagler or BC rods. I think that will eat up most of your 10K. If you have the funds buy a oil cooler or build your own.

Whats the mileage/age of the fuel system?

As other mentioned I'm sure you cracked a piston, LBZ/LMM like to do that.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:23 PM
Heavy & Slow

I don't know that I'd do Fingers pistons at 650 HP. I'm at 660 HP on Mahle cast and no issues. I've heard more than one person lament the smokey nature and efficiency of the Fingers bowl design for towing. It holds power great, but the trade-off seems to be fuel economy and haze at all times.

I have no first hand experience with them, but wanted to put the counterpoint out there to make your decision harder

Sent from my Cat S60 using Tapatalk

Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM
Gearhead

If you think your going to be at 10g already. Why not look into a short block? Waglers entry level is 9800 I believe. Or buy the rotating assembly for 5200. When my day comes thatís what Iíll be looking at and adding a girdle and af cam. Overkill for 750rwhp goal? probably but I like peace of mind. Do it once and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2008 Chevrolet ccsb 2500 - egr/dpf deleted, pcv rerouted, bd drivers manifold, dmaxstore downpipe, 5Ē exhaust, s&b cai, arp head studs, htt promax 64, ppei tuned, limitless diy kit installed by me, limitless 1078 converter, goerend Allison deep pan, fass lift pump
Old 09-26-2018, 04:52 AM
Freedom Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
I don't know that I'd do Fingers pistons at 650 HP. I'm at 660 HP on Mahle cast and no issues. I've heard more than one person lament the smokey nature and efficiency of the Fingers bowl design for towing. It holds power great, but the trade-off seems to be fuel economy and haze at all times.

I have no first hand experience with them, but wanted to put the counterpoint out there to make your decision harder

They definitely are not an efficient design.
Thank you.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Ecodiesel
Old 09-26-2018, 05:26 AM
<thatís not me...

If 650 is your goal, Iíd recommend cut lb7 pistons, BC or Wagler budget rods, 60 overs, and a 10mm pump, with one of Marks turbos. May not need the 68stg2r but something similar. Have it balanced and let her eat. 10k isnít much of a budget for a full build even if it is budget for these trucks. Youíll have close to 7 grand in just rods, turbo, and injectors, not counting pump or pistons.

Other toys:
1982 K10 6.2 Detroit diesel/sm465/np205 with 4 inch lift and 35s. Fixed and driving again
2011 Yamaha YFZ450X
2003 Yamaha YZ250
2003 Kawasaki Z1000
Old 09-26-2018, 05:30 AM
Hotrodder

I don’t notice much haze and I’m running 30 over ii injectors and fingers in the 05’. Very few are satisfied with 600 and a built eng. I’d rather over build the bottom and not worry about it...
Old 09-26-2018, 07:29 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20dmax08 View Post
If you think your going to be at 10g already. Why not look into a short block? Waglers entry level is 9800 I believe. Or buy the rotating assembly for 5200. When my day comes thatís what Iíll be looking at and adding a girdle and af cam. Overkill for 750rwhp goal? probably but I like peace of mind. Do it once and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought about it but that's just for a short block. No heads, assemble, etc. and would only leave $200 bucks.

So between delipped LB7 and Mahle pistons are they typically thought to hold the same HP? I thought 600-650HP was the max for delipped LB7 pistons? I'd like to leave some buffer if possible. I know these are heavy trucks and if you want MPG get a Prius but I'd hate to do Fingers just to see a dip in MPG when both Fingers and Mahle pistons would foot the bill?

I've heard one "nay" on the balancer. What's the advantage of these aftermarket balances if I'm having the engine balanced?

Thanks guys,

Casey
Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 AM
Heavy & Slow

Mostly the aftermarket balancers are press fit, where stock is slip fit. Press fit balancers are less likely to spin on the crank, though a bigger key helps with a slip fit.

I've spun enough slip-fit balancers that I won't run them. Even my stock LB7 has a press fit balancer.

But most people never have the problems I have with them spinning on the crank, so maybe you get lucky, or maybe the larger key holds it in place?

Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 AM
Hotrodder

Lol, 10k is going to be gone quickly, spend your money wisely. Iím not going to get into a debate over recommendations. I know what I have works and many others have ran with great success.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:11 AM
Hotrodder

I'm certainly not a professional, but I've been pleased with my combination of the Fluidampr and Empire roll pin kit to add the additional pinning to factory.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:32 AM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Down View Post
Lol, 10k is going to be gone quickly, spend your money wisely. Iím not going to get into a debate over recommendations. I know what I have works and many others have ran with great success.

I probably should have been more clear in my opening. I simply want to make sure I'm building the engine itself (the internals) to reliably handle 650hp and get the truck back on the road. Later on when I seek the 650hp I hope to focus on externals such as turbo, injectors, etc.

I know I can overbuild and quickly blow 10 g's. I know if I was after 700HP it seems to be a whole other level of spending. It's sort of why I landed on 600-650HP.

For right now I think I'll have enough for the engine, replace the bad injector if indeed that was a contributing factor, and hopefully get efiLve with a tow tune.

Should I invest in a V2 so I can log and monitor?
Old 09-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Why do I keep doing this?

600/650 still requires the same build strategy that 700+ would. Those that brag of 650 on stock internals are the exception, nor the rule. Since you plan to tow heavy, you must treat your build like you would a higher hp build, anyway.
"Kleshay" -- 2000 C5 Corvette -- the toy
"The Bigger Boat" -- 2011 Workhorse P700 - 6.0LS/Allison - what I drive at work

Two wrongs dont make a right, but three rights do make a left.

Reality is a matter of perspective.

This forum isn't for the weak of heart.....or wallet.

"Lets build a race car they said. Itll be fun they said. I don't know who "they" are.........but they need a good punch in the face!" -- mufflerguy (yb)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 PM
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
600/650 still requires the same build strategy that 700+ would. Those that brag of 650 on stock internals are the exception, nor the rule. Since you plan to tow heavy, you must treat your build like you would a higher hp build, anyway.

I know it's hard to draw a line in the sink and say you need this, this, and this for 650 and this for 700 but can we agree I don't need to consider a crank and AF cam?

I'd like to at least eliminate those items