Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-17-2019, 02:42 PM
Hotrodder

Ok. So when i am tore into this what should i do while i am in there? Goal is to have no more the 700hp. And the budget would be about 12k with a trans upgrade being part of that 12k
2003 lb7 crew cab.5" turbo back exhaust and PPE boost increase valve. Lt265/70/17. Autometer gauges. Fass lift pump. Aih delete. bills custom intake stage 5. Creatures of the night efi live tunning. Ppe tie rods. 50 over injectors. .
Old 03-17-2019, 03:06 PM
Hotrodder

You will have $7000 left and I do not suppose you want to hear , rods and delip your pistons , 700 rwhp is very much on the edge !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Hotrodder

Well i was thinking push rods and springs but i wasnt sure about the pistons
2003 lb7 crew cab.5" turbo back exhaust and PPE boost increase valve. Lt265/70/17. Autometer gauges. Fass lift pump. Aih delete. bills custom intake stage 5. Creatures of the night efi live tunning. Ppe tie rods. 50 over injectors. .
Old 03-17-2019, 05:17 PM
Hotrodder

If you talk to Mark and you are willing to settle on 600 to 625 with a turbo and tune your eng will be happier ! Then you may not need to delip your pistons and change rods if you do not drive in #5 dsp all the time ! Then just studs , springs , push rods if you want , valve job , new design water pump , turbo of Marks recommendation , tune , drivers side manifold , , t stats and hoses where needed , make sure your fan clutch is good , down pipe , I assume you have a lift pump , Mike Ls trany cooler !
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old Yesterday, 12:16 PM
Too many toys!!!

700hp, holy crap!!!!

Wouldn't twins make a more streetable truck?
Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by davig View Post
Oh and i for got to mention the reservoir still has pressure after like 2 days of sitting. And i was told thats a good thing because that points away from a head gasket also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBac View Post
Before you do something rash, check the overflow tank cap and clean/replace it if needed. That might be all it is. But yeah, the guys are right -- it could very well be headgaskets.
Id also be wary of letting that shop work on my truck.
Like said above, replace the overflow tank cap and see if it persists. They are cheap enough making them an easy way to troubleshoot issues.

If you have pressure in the cooling system the next morning after parking the truck the night before you very VERY likely have a head gasket issue. Mine would do the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davig View Post
Ok. So when i am tore into this what should i do while i am in there? Goal is to have no more the 700hp. And the budget would be about 12k with a trans upgrade being part of that 12k
A built trans is going to run you ~$4500-$5000. If you are not doing the head gasket work yourself you will end up spending ~$4000 on that job with head studs. Honestly, you may be better served with sticking to 600-650hp as it is MUCH less of a risk on the stock bottom end. You're in connecting rod bending territory. The factory pistons won't be much of a problem at that level.

If you're going to do the head gasket job yourself make sure you buy good head gaskets (I like Victor Reinz Grade C Wave Stopper gaskets), buy ARP head studs, Mahle top end gasket set etc. The most critical is to send your heads to a reputable machine shop to ensure they are flat/not cracked as well as having them make sure all the valve guides are good. I know when I brought my heads to the machine shop with only ~150k miles on them it needed 26 guides, complete valve job, and they had to deck them flat which ended up around $900 all said and done.
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR 480/96/1.10 T6, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend J Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD Sump, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovan View Post
700hp, holy crap!!!!

Wouldn't twins make a more streetable truck?
700hp doesn't take a big turbo to do these days. Take a look at any of the big turbo builders drop in 66-68mm turbos. They will get you right into that power area with good drivability.
-Built Motor, Forced Inductions Billet ETR 480/96/1.10 T6, Modded Exergy 250% Injectors, Exergy 14mm Street Pump/LBZ CP3, Goerend J Converter, Billet Trans, Fuelab Supply Pump/Reg, RCD Sump, Front E-Locker, TrueTrac, Yukon 4340 Rear Shafts, Traction Bars, DHD Center Link Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support

2) DD/Tow Rig: 2002 LB7 CCSB, Leather, Loaded
-Bosch NEW Injectors, FASS 150, 3" Downpipe, 4" Downpipe Back, RCD Sump, PPE Sleeves, DHD Centerlink Brace, DHD Lower Crossmember Support, Steering Wheel Radio Control Swap
Old Yesterday, 05:40 PM
Too many toys!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post

If you're going to do the head gasket job yourself make sure you buy good head gaskets (I like Victor Reinz Grade C Wave Stopper gaskets),
You prefer those over GM OEM gaskets? Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdsankey View Post
700hp doesn't take a big turbo to do these days. Take a look at any of the big turbo builders drop in 66-68mm turbos. They will get you right into that power area with good drivability.
Good to know, thanks.
Old Today, 11:06 AM
Hotrodder

I have already replaced the cap. The truck is at a different shop one of the big name shops here in utah to get a second opinion on the hg. We will see what they say
Old Today, 11:44 AM
Hotrodder

Shop 2 just called and said they whent threw it and dont see anything that would tell them bad hg or injector cups.