Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 03-16-2019, 09:33 PM
Gearhead

Default cutting oil filter open after engine build

Hey Guys,

I just changed my oil after the first 500 miles after the build. I've read that I should cut the filter open and inspect it. I assume I'm looking for metallic looking debris. Do I just take a hacksaw to it? I would think this would create metal pieces throughout that I could confuse for an issue? Don't really want to buy a special tool but if I have to I will.

Thanks in advance,

Casey

PS. Just got done doing an oil cooler. Turned out really good. Haven't gotten before/after #s yet but when I do I'll post. Won't have before/after #s for towing but I should be able to tell a difference in unloaded #s.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:08 PM
Hotrodder

Use a large pipe cutter

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 03-17-2019, 03:41 AM
Piston Tester

Yes filter cutting tool you mentioned, or a pipe cutter. Anything else will introduce metal shavings into the filter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2019, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

I cut filters all the time with a hacksaw. If you put the filter on itís side and ignore the metal in the top inch or two from where you made the cut then you will find what you are after. Usually any particles will be trapped deep in the pleats which is where you want to look anyways.

My experience is an oil sample will tell you the same thing and more in depth. If you are getting pieces big enough to see in your filter, then your engine has already had a catastrophic failure.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBZ View Post
If you are getting pieces big enough to see in your filter, then your engine has already had a catastrophic failure.
^^ this

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 03-17-2019, 03:15 PM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop Special View Post
Hey Guys,

I just changed my oil after the first 500 miles after the build. I've read that I should cut the filter open and inspect it. I assume I'm looking for metallic looking debris. Do I just take a hacksaw to it? I would think this would create metal pieces throughout that I could confuse for an issue? Don't really want to buy a special tool but if I have to I will.

Thanks in advance,

Casey

PS. Just got done doing an oil cooler. Turned out really good. Haven't gotten before/after #s yet but when I do I'll post. Won't have before/after #s for towing but I should be able to tell a difference in unloaded #s.
You had some of us afraid because we have not heard from you , glad to hear it is running !!!
AFE Blade Runner,AFE Momentum CAI,DHD Big Air intake Y pipe, DHD fuel block,DHD pcv reroute,MBRP 4 inch exhaust,DHD 3 inch downpipe,BD driver's side manifold,DHD pass side up pipe,DHD 3 inch intercooler hot&cold pipes, ATI damper,Empire pin kit by Big Foot on & off road shop, FASS fuel system,5/8 inch pickup, FASS fuel filter delete, EFI live,V2 & lap top , 5 position switch 250 hp big tune, shimmed fprv by Crank it up , built SunCoast Allison 1078 converter aftermarket trany mount by Limitless Diesel,ARP head studs,grade C gaskets,tig-welded water pump,T stats by Blackout performance,MA t case brace , Kriptonite motor mounts,MA pump rub kit,HD drive shaft 1480joints by Greensburg machine,BDS Recoil traction bars, PPE finned deep pan , Mike L trany cooler, PSC pump, 5100s, Sulastic Shackles, Curt com 2.5 hitch
Old 03-17-2019, 05:16 PM
chock full of goodies

I've had good luck with using a angle grinder with a thin disk, cutting right at the fold..put filter in a vise, cut just enough material away to leave a thin layer of metal intact then twist or pry the top off. Its quicker than a hack saw anyway.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk
bosh remans from lincoln diesel, @290k
fass 150
19.5 american eagle alloys
cognito upper a-arms
Quote:
Your freedom to be you,includes my freedom to be free from you....
Old 03-17-2019, 06:40 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironmax View Post
I've had good luck with using a angle grinder with a thin disk, cutting right at the fold..put filter in a vise, cut just enough material away to leave a thin layer of metal intact then twist or pry the top off. Its quicker than a hack saw anyway.

Sent from my SM-J337A using Tapatalk

I'll give this a shot. Thank you. Do I just need to inspect the first filter after break in? I've read to expect potential metallics because of the rings seating, etc. If that's expected what exactly am i looking for?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:08 PM
Hotrodder

I use a bit that was with my air hammer set to buz the filter can open
Old 03-17-2019, 09:06 PM
don't know sh!t about IFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop Special View Post
I'll give this a shot. Thank you. Do I just need to inspect the first filter after break in? I've read to expect potential metallics because of the rings seating, etc. If that's expected what exactly am i looking for?

I open every one of mine up. I have 60k on my engine. I only change the oil once or twice a year though as it doesnít get many miles.

Your looking for bearing material or an excessive amount of metal in the filter element. You will want to cut the paper element out and fan it out as well.
James

02 LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, L5P 2500HD CC/LB dmax/alli "The Limo"

BIG THANKS TO: Mike L, Steve, Trent, Guy, Dan, Ruben, Josh H, Scott, Brian and everyone else who has put a hand in to help me.

best time to date: 12.39

motor died/bent rods = 3/11/11
back from the dead 7:04pm 4/9/2012

Limo is back in the garage, now driving a built chevy tracker
Tailgate Crew Member #4