Duramax Diesels Forum Truck of the Week
Old 04-15-2019, 08:34 PM
Gearhead

Default Hung Injector??

I have a 01 LB7 with 340 kms. I replaced the injectors about 100,000 kms ago. Truck has great for 4 yrs. This last month or so I noticed extended crank times to start, so I tried changing the fuel filter (Niktane cat adapter) and it didn't help. A couple days after I noticed it smokin bad at an intersection one day so I tromped on it and it was ok after that, far as the smoke goes but still hard starting. Now I have smoke at an idle that seems to build up the longer it idles. Tried cleaning the injectors with the hoses into a can of concentrated fuel/cleaner and it didn't help. Is there anything I can do to try and free up the injector. Still haven't scanned it so Im guessing here. If it was a air leak in the system Im assuming it would be hard starting but don't explain the smoke
Im kinda disappointed I only got this far on new injectors, but want to fi the truck properly. Any suggestions other then the inevitable $4000 parts bill? I live in NW Ontario lol

Also when its running should I be able to prime the Filter head till it gets hard.mine wont and im not sure if that's proper.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:41 PM
Hotrodder

Sounds like it’s ready for injectors again... And no the primer won’t get hard if the engine is running.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 PM
Gearhead

Alright well I wasn't sure about the primer thing. Im satisfied that the fuel system doesn't have an air leak then leaving the injectors as the probable cause. Ill have it scanned to see whats what. Unfortunately I have to bring it in for that. Also I don't have any engine light on ,,,,which points to the squirters too. Thanks ill update the post soon as I get some balance rates. Thanks
Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 AM
Hotrodder

I owned my LB7 from the time it had 219,000 miles on it, until it had 340,000 miles on it.

During that 340,000 miles it went through (4) sets of injectors. (3) were done before I owned it, I installed the fourth set.

After I installed the fourth set I began adding a pint of two cycle oil with each tank of fuel.

So if you do the math on injector life for my LB7; (3) sets of injectors in 219,000 miles, = 73,000 miles per set of injectors.

The fourth set that saw two stroke oil went from 219,000 miles to 340,000 miles. That set lasted 121,000 miles.

Obviously I am a supporter of two stroke oil, to replenish some lubricity that was lost in the move to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.

Having said all that, when the fourth set failed, I removed the LB7 / five speed and swapped in a LBZ / six speed.

All of my math is shown in miles, I am not sure of the conversion to kilometers.

2015.5 Denali. Dmax Allison / Exergy Sportsman CP3 / WCFab "Y" Bridge with cold air bundle / WCFab 3" downpipe / LB7 up pipe / 4" Flo Pro exhaust / FASS 150 / Sump / AirLift 5000 bags with WirelessOne on board air / B&W Turnover ball / AMP Research power steps.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:29 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
I owned my LB7 from the time it had 219,000 miles on it, until it had 340,000 miles on it.

During that 340,000 miles it went through (4) sets of injectors. (3) were done before I owned it, I installed the fourth set.

After I installed the fourth set I began adding a pint of two cycle oil with each tank of fuel.

So if you do the math on injector life for my LB7; (3) sets of injectors in 219,000 miles, = 73,000 miles per set of injectors.

The fourth set that saw two stroke oil went from 219,000 miles to 340,000 miles. That set lasted 121,000 miles.

Obviously I am a supporter of two stroke oil, to replenish some lubricity that was lost in the move to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.

Having said all that, when the fourth set failed, I removed the LB7 / five speed and swapped in a LBZ / six speed.

All of my math is shown in miles, I am not sure of the conversion to kilometers.
Off the wall question. But what brand?? And how did you measure?

I run a additive in my LMM but havenít did anything to the lb7 I have yet. Still havenít filled it up yet. Itís been tore apart more than itís been together
456HP 925 TQ

2003 Regular Cab LB7
Old 04-16-2019, 04:58 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
Off the wall question. But what brand?? And how did you measure?

I run a additive in my LMM but havenít did anything to the lb7 I have yet. Still havenít filled it up yet. Itís been tore apart more than itís been together
Brand was Bosch remans, directly from a GM dealer. In all cases. I do not believe LDS was even in business, when I did my injectors. You had Merchant and the dealer, options back then were pretty limited.

I am not sure I understand your "And how did you measure?" question. Measure what? Amount of two stroke oil? The gallon jugs have sight windows, I buy the cheap stuff from Wally world, in the blue gallon jug.

2015.5 Denali. Dmax Allison / Exergy Sportsman CP3 / WCFab "Y" Bridge with cold air bundle / WCFab 3" downpipe / LB7 up pipe / 4" Flo Pro exhaust / FASS 150 / Sump / AirLift 5000 bags with WirelessOne on board air / B&W Turnover ball / AMP Research power steps.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:33 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 036.6turbo View Post
Brand was Bosch remans, directly from a GM dealer. In all cases. I do not believe LDS was even in business, when I did my injectors. You had Merchant and the dealer, options back then were pretty limited.

I am not sure I understand your "And how did you measure?" question. Measure what? Amount of two stroke oil? The gallon jugs have sight windows, I buy the cheap stuff from Wally world, in the blue gallon jug.
Yeah I meant what oil and how did you measure it. I would stick with a quart jug more than likely. Easier to store. Lol

So no particular brand of oil. Just 2 stroke.
456HP 925 TQ

2003 Regular Cab LB7
Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Heavy & Slow

Quote:
Yeah I meant what oil and how did you measure it. I would stick with a quart jug more than likely. Easier to store. Lol

Before I replaced my CP3 (the newer ones seem to handle ULSD just fine, so I no longer run additives), I used whatever ashless two stroke oil was cheapest. I always mixed around 500:1 (1/4 quart per tank), but up to 250:1 (1/2 quart per tank) shouldn't produce any noticeable smoke. The important part, IMO, is getting ashless two stroke oil to reduce buildup in the exhaust. Diesel soot is bad enough, I didn't want an oily ash on top of it. The big blue jug at Walmart worked fine for me, and was cheap.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:37 AM
Vendor

If you end up having to do injectors again I would highly recommend looking into a set of our LDS SAC 45 injectors. Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions?
Phone: 920-361-7700
Old 04-16-2019, 08:00 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVe3283 View Post
The big blue jug at Walmart worked fine for me, and was cheap.
What Dave said, the blue jug from WalMart.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Hotrodder

Of all the people that have tried running additives, none seemed to have extended the life of injectors more then the typical life of 80k to 120k miles. Some more and some less but all seem to have premature failure rates.

The only ones that last any decent amount of miles are the newer SAC style as Brent suggested. If I still had an LB7 that is what I would be replacing them with

2006 BRM Jetta TDI. Injectors, turbo, Malone custom tuning on ecm and tcm
Old 04-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Hotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004LB7 View Post
Of all the people that have tried running additives, none seemed to have extended the life of injectors more then the typical life of 80k to 120k miles. Some more and some less but all seem to have premature failure rates.

The only ones that last any decent amount of miles are the newer SAC style as Brent suggested. If I still had an LB7 that is what I would be replacing them with
Absolutely agree, my post was just to illustrate the the two stroke got mine from 70k to 120k.

The only difference with mine was instead of SACs, I swapped in a different engine family.

By the time I sold my LB7 and parts from the donor truck, it was done for less than the expenditure of new injectors. And I went from a 340,000 mile LB7 to a 220,000 mile LBZ. From a five speed to a six speed.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:59 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent@LDS View Post
If you end up having to do injectors again I would highly recommend looking into a set of our LDS SAC 45 injectors. Let me know if I can help or if you have any questions?
Thanks Brent. Im unsure at present. I only 60k miles out of thosebrand new bosche ones and im kinda disappointed. Of i do another set id need to do the co3 too, then i wouldnt feel safe with the worn out turbo and have to buy that too. Not sure if i wanna throw that kinda cash at a truck that is 19 yrs old. Its seen alot of winter hwy miles up here in the salt belt of ontario lol. Might just demote it to farm truck.

One question tho. I have an air leak too that i just confirmed by doing an isolated injector cleaning. Unhooked from the. ... tank there is no more extended cranking. Starts normal. I have two problems i suppose.

Would having to prime tgat main feed all the time have caused an issue with the fpr or cp3? Thats how it all started... and would that cause it to build up at idle?
Old 04-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent@LDS View Post
Sorry , just for the record what i meant by prine the main line was for the cp3 to suck the line full by cranking. Longer its off the longer it cranks to start. Plumbed into the cleaner/fuel jug it satrts after sitting fir ten min like its supposed too. Hooked up to the truck tank it would take a 10 second crand after sitting the same amount of time. any help appreciated. I still havent had it scoped ao im guessing here thanka in advance